Cloudburst - basic setup with a RR

Does anyone have any general tips for setting up the cloudburst tarp with a ridge runner? Sorry for the broad (and basic) question, but I’m new here. I’ve done a test run with the setup and it works in mild conditions, but I feel like I’m not getting the tarp quite right — a little too loose for any wind. I’m also not sure what the rings on the inside of the cloudburst do. I think one is for the RR bugnet and one maybe to hang a lantern, but I didn’t see any instructions.

Thanks everyone for taking a look.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner/blackbird xlc
    Tarp
    Bushwack minifly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Wooki
    Suspension
    Dutch spider/poly
    The loops under the tarp should be for the head and foot end of bug net on your ridgerunner. Hard to say about the tarp flapping in the wind. I always pitch my tarp pretty tight. I also use shockcord loops on each corner and feel they help with keeping it tight. Some people like shock cord on corners some don't. Just have to experiment and find what works for you.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Bushwack minifly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Wooki
    Suspension
    Dutch spider/poly
    What are you using for your ridgeline as far as hardware? What are you using for guylines?

Images
    Flapping could be due to uneven tension on the guylines or not enough tension on the ridgeline.

When you had this problem did you have all 6 guylines staked out, or just the 4 corners? Since the tarp has no cat cuts, using the center guylines can be helpful, but you should try to make sure the tension is even on all the guylines. The center guylines should be perpendicular to the edge of the tarp and the corner guylines should come off at roughly 45° angles. If using all 3 guylines on each side, also check to see if all 3 are in plane with one another.

Is your Cloudburst silnylon or silpoly? The nylon tends to stretch a bit more after being set up for a while, especially if it's wet. This can be fixed by retensioning the guylines or using shock cord or other elastic tarp tensioners on the guylines. Don't use elastic on the ridgeline connections.

Great info everybody, thanks.

I have the silpoly version. I’m staking down all 6 locations — 4 corners and 2 center — with the stock Warbonnet guyline hitched around the tarp rings then wrapped around 8-inch y-shape stakes. I’m not using hardware to tighten the guylines but maybe I should. For the ridgelines I’m using Nite Ize Figure 9s to tighten/secure each end of the tarp. I’m tying each end separately to its respective tree so the tarp isn’t positioned over a full length ridgeline running between the two trees, if that makes sense.

To be clear, there’s no issue at all with the tarp. It’s a great setup even with my makeshift methods. I just know it could be better so appreciate all the insight. The advice here will help a lot, so I look forward to testing a little more.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammocker View Post
    Great info everybody, thanks.

I have the silpoly version. I’m staking down all 6 locations — 4 corners and 2 center — with the stock Warbonnet guyline hitched around the tarp rings then wrapped around 8-inch y-shape stakes. I’m not using hardware to tighten the guylines but maybe I should. For the ridgelines I’m using Nite Ize Figure 9s to tighten/secure each end of the tarp. I’m tying each end separately to its respective tree so the tarp isn’t positioned over a full length ridgeline running between the two trees, if that makes sense.

To be clear, there’s no issue at all with the tarp. It’s a great setup even with my makeshift methods. I just know it could be better so appreciate all the insight. The advice here will help a lot, so I look forward to testing a little more.
    With separate ridgeline ties and figure 9's, you should easily be able to get good tension on the ridgeline, so I doubt that was the problem you had.

I agree, the Cloudburst is a fine tarp. The external pole mods make a nice addition, if you haven't got those already.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Bushwack minifly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Wooki
    Suspension
    Dutch spider/poly
    https://dutchwaregear.com/product/fleaz/

With shockcord loops works fantastic. Can even get them nice and tight with zing it loops as well.

I've also used the tarp ticks that warbonnet has. They work well but have sharp edges on one end. I don't like leaving something like that on my tarp when I pack it up.

6 of these on your guylines will make a world of difference tightening your tarp.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have a Tarp Tutorial Series that may give you some insight....https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...r4JzQgQ_iyB2RU
    Charlotte is my old stomping grounds.
    Lived in Coulwood Hills. West side. West Meck High.

Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    The bottom edge will flap a wee bit because it is a flat tarp, not a cat-cut [=catenary-cut= with scallops cut out of the long edges]. Make sure to use the panel pulls if possible. Don’t set the ridge line tie-out lines [to the tree] too tight. As you tighten the corners the ridge line will tighten. Before bed, tighten all your corners, etc.

Enjoy, it is a true palace.

Shug, your tarp series was great. Very helpful and seriously well done. Good to hear from another Charlottean too. We’ve been here a few years and love it. Hoping to take more advantage of all the hiking and camping nearby, which is in-part how I learned about these forums.

Mo, the flea you linked looks like it’s worth checking out too. And Sturgeon, good tips on the panel pullls and the ridge line tightness.

Thanks all. Really appreciate the willingness to help.

• + New Posts