Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Want thoughts before buying

I’m “this” close to buying the Tensa4 stand. I live in the desert and would like to expand my hanging options while camping and hiking. 11lbs doesn’t sound that bad for a lot of the 4-8 mile day hikes I take. Say 15 with hammock and tarp, add 5 for water and I’m still at 20ish lbs.

My main concern is how well it is built. I love what the company is doing, but if later they were to not be available I don’t want to end up with a 295 dollar non-functional device. I’m a bit of a larger guy 230lbs. I know it is rated for 400.

Owners and those that have seen it, do you see any issues with this if being used often - holding up over a longer period of time? This is a lot of money for me.

Thanks for thoughts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear CF
    Insulation
    EE 20/30 Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'm about your size and really like my Tensa 4. I use it on beach trips with the family. I'm not sure that I'd try to lug it on a backpacking trip though. I'd just tent it

[QUOTE=any reason to think it won’t stand up over time?

Images
    I think it is very well built and wouldn't expect any problems with longevity. I have a slightly older model from when they all came with Amsteel UCR lines. The lines themselves are showing some wear after a fair bit of use, but they are a long way from being ready to break. The wear comes from the areas where the Amsteel comes through the holes in the aluminum tubing. The rope is bearing some pretty heavy loads and the edges of the holes in the tubing are fairly raw - deburred perhaps, but not chamfered. I could always take the time to smooth the edges a bit, but if my UCRs do ever get to the point of needing replacement, I'd want to get the same style UCRs again. I believe it would cost a total of $36 at today's prices for the UCR ridgeline and baseline. I doubt the ground anchor guyline would need replacing, as that line doesn't pass through the aluminum tubing.

Nowadays, the stand comes with adjustable webbing straps as the default option. The Amsteel UCRs are still available but for a $40 upcharge. The Amsteel saves on weight and bulk, but for the most part I think the stand is just considered portable, not necessarily meant for backpacking - so weight and bulk may not be of primary concern for most users.

The ball toggles that the hammock hangs from are still Amsteel and could still be subject to some wear and tear, but replacements are available for a modest $6. You should get plenty of use from them before they'd need replacing.

It's great that literally every part of the system is available a la carte, should replacements for anything be needed.

If access to trees is limited and if you're willing to carry it (that's entirely up to you), I'd wholeheartedly recommend it.
    Last edited by cmc4free; 10-01-2019 at 14:40.

I have not used one, but I have looked them over pretty well, and as far as I can see they look pretty solid and wearing them out never crossed my mind. Yes, I hang a lot.
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear CF
    Insulation
    EE 20/30 Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    [QUOTE=talon1974;1989947][QUOTE=any reason to think it won’t stand up over time?[/QUOTE]

No. It seems plenty sturdy to me and is pretty small and packable for what it is: a hammock stand. It takes a little bit of practice to set up and adjust, but that's to be expected.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Mini fly
    Insulation
    Diamondback/wooki
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    The stand is well built. I've had it in some pretty windy conditions with no issues so it's definitely sturdy. I use it on alot of campouts with the scouts where trees are limited so others can use the trees. Plus I can set up where I please. Other than requiring much better anchoring, the tensa solo poles could be an option too possibly.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I am a Tensa4 owner and have used it in summer/winter, wet/dry, windy/calm, snow/mud, flat ground/sloped ground with no issues. I can't foresee any reason to think it won't stand up over time. Reasons/evidence:

1. The designers took their time in materials selection, proto-typing, testing, etc before entering the consumer market. That background knowledge is key.
    2. The product has been available for over 2 years and there have been no reports on HF that I've read documenting any inherent, catastrophic flaws in the poles or the Amsteel connections. Modifications have been introduced to increase the level of simplicity, safety, and longevity based on user feedback.
    3. As with any hammock using Amsteel suspensions, the Tensa4 stand's Amsteel connections will eventually wear out. It's early in the product history at this time so I don't really know what the degradation interval will be. However, a typical user will order replacements when something eventually gives and a cautious user will already have replacements in hand.

I like to buy once-cry once, but this purchase has made me smile from Day 1. It's versatile, sturdy and functional.
    The game is the best teacher.

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    The Tensa4 exceeded my expectations regarding quality of engineering and construction. I am a bit bigger than you and have no concerns that the stand will not stand up to constant use with my weight.

I initially skipped the Tarp Extensions accessory, thinking I could copy the design and make them myself. When I eventually gave up on my home-made solution and bought the Tensa Outdoor product, I was really pleased. Their's is much, much nicer than I was able to construct. Make sure you add those to your cart.

Should Tensa Outdoor fail as a company, I think you will feel fortunate that got a stand while they were available rather than stuck with a dead product. I use mine a couple nights per month and expect it to last many years.

My only reservation I would have is considering this stand as backpacking equipment. My days of lugging a 50 pound pack are behind me. I can do it but don't enjoy it.

Good Luck
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    It is well built.
    Just follow their instructions and all will be good.
    Take a look at the Tensa Solo too. It would more than likely be lighter but needs more staking......https://www.tensaoutdoor.com/product...-carcamp-tele/
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast