Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    I think doing that on the actual Tensa4 stand would prevent the smallest diameter segments from fully telescoping into the other segments.
    Makes sense. Figured there might be a reason why I hadn't read much about people doing that on their Tensa's. Still leaning toward UCR's. No one seems to be reporting "excessive" wear on them and I'm sure, as long as they "do" last, usage cost doesn't seem very high. Be nice to have everything in one bag.... and I have to admit I'm pretty intrigued to try them out. I noticed some folks were using UCR's for hammock suspensions as well.

I noticed WB and DW were selling them as well. Any advantages (ie., shipping costs) purchasing from either of them over direct from TO?

Images
    No advantage that I know of. All will charge for shipping using USPS. Maybe a slight advantage in delivery time to pick the one closest to you.

WB in Colorado, DW in Pennsylvania, and I believe Tensa ships from California.

Actually, I take it back. The stands sold by DW and WB are probably the webbing version, so if you do decide on the UCRs, Tensa Outdoor might be the only place to get that.
    Last edited by cmc4free; 10-06-2019 at 22:14.

Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
    ... the impression I have right now is that the webbing would be more reliable and the UCR's are simply a weight saving option, but are more "finicky"(?)
    That's exactly it.

But UCRs are not much more finicky. If you're the sort of person willing to play with them for a few minutes to understand how they work (and how they might fail) it'll then be second-nature to use them in a way that is totally reliable.

Images
    I mentioned before, but I think the UCRs are more than just a weight saving option. The stand is very portable, but not exactly a lightweight backpacking item; so I don't think the weight of the Amsteel vs webbing is of major concern to most people. I wouldn't even bring bulk into the equation unless someone is trying to fit the stand, the tarp extensions, and a Solo conversion kit all into the supplied Tensa bag. It's a bit of a squeeze even with neatly wrapped UCRs, so my guess is it wouldn't all fit with the webbing option. Lighter and less bulky are both good attributes, though; don't get me wrong.

Just my opinion, but I think the biggest advantage the UCRs have over the webbing is the aesthetic. They are just miles more elegant than the webbing option.

I do agree that once you're familiar with how to adjust and secure a UCR, they're not significantly more finicky than the webbing - just way cooler and more visually pleasing.

The webbing probably has an edge when it comes to durability, but all the Amsteel components are available a la carte from Tensa Outdoor, so that's not a big worry either IMO.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Just used my Tensa 4 this weekend in a State Park Cart-In site. Room for one hammock so i let Stormcrow take the trees.
    Tensa 4 worked like a charm.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Baka Dasai View Post
    That's exactly it.

But UCRs are not much more finicky. If you're the sort of person willing to play with them for a few minutes to understand how they work (and how they might fail) it'll then be second-nature to use them in a way that is totally reliable.
    I agree. They work well with the Tensa 4.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Quote Originally Posted by Baka Dasai View Post
    But UCRs are not much more finicky.
    Thanks, Bakame~

Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    They are just miles more elegant than the webbing option.

...Amsteel components are available a la carte...
    I'm sold. I wasn't necessarily "too" concerned about he amsteel wear'n'tear or replaceability. I'm a hanger now... the cost of a little rope every once in a while is barely a drop in the bucket compared to what all the other goodies cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Just used my Tensa 4 this weekend...
    Very cool! Thanks for sharing.. and the vid link.

Most of the places I do and will frequent... finding trees isn't an issue, but finding 2 trees at the proper distance, where I would "like" them to be, in the orientation I would like to hang... that's a bit more of a challenge. The sun is getting lower and I can also see the merit of getting out from under the trees to catch more morning rays... or at least having the ability to quickly move my hammock into the sun for a quick dry before packing up for an early start.

Good stuff, that!

Hammock
    2 Blackbird XLC 1.7 DL SL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IncubatorSniveller
    Suspension
    Standard Warbonnet
    I've had a Tensa for several months using it about four times. Like any piece of equipment there is a bit of learning curve to get the stand to work for you but I've enjoyed it during my more recent outings. It was pretty helpful recently on a kayaking trip that we took using a river side campground as base camp. Couldn't hang normally due to limited trees and the Tensa stand came in pretty handy.

My biggest challenge involves the tarp extension option. I have had limited success integrating it with the stand. I've followed the handout provided as carefully as I can but haven't been pleased with the results. During the kayaking trip mentioned above I gave up on the extension and hung my tarp directly from the stand. That got me through the weekend but I was disappointed in how I had to hang my tarp. I'll keep trying the extension, maybe I'll figure it out, but right now I wouldn't buy the extension. Would the stand itself.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JSH View Post
    I've had a Tensa for several months using it about four times. Like any piece of equipment there is a bit of learning curve to get the stand to work for you but I've enjoyed it during my more recent outings. It was pretty helpful recently on a kayaking trip that we took using a river side campground as base camp. Couldn't hang normally due to limited trees and the Tensa stand came in pretty handy.

My biggest challenge involves the tarp extension option. I have had limited success integrating it with the stand. I've followed the handout provided as carefully as I can but haven't been pleased with the results. During the kayaking trip mentioned above I gave up on the extension and hung my tarp directly from the stand. That got me through the weekend but I was disappointed in how I had to hang my tarp. I'll keep trying the extension, maybe I'll figure it out, but right now I wouldn't buy the extension. Would the stand itself.
    Would you care to share any more detail about the problems you had with the extensions? Length or model of tarp, etc? Photos? Maybe the collective can help you troubleshoot for the future.

Ok I ordered it. I couldn’t justify the tarp extensions yet.

I currently have a 3m x 3m tarp. I understand the diagonal (14 feet or so) is going to be too long. I can bunch some down on one end I hope. Likewise the down the middle isn’t quite 10feet - enough for sun, but not rain. Thoughts on this tarp?

Ideally, without the tarp extensions and with an 11 ft hammock, what is the ideal tarp length, size, and type (rectangular vs hexagonal). I would want it to work in rain. I’m also on a budget (especially after the tensa purchase).

Would that same tarp you might recommend without tarp extensions also work with extensions?

Also, I know this might be “janky” - but could I get a couple of tarp poles and place my current tarp and set up the tensa underneath and independently of the tarp and poles? I can get a couple of tarp poles fairly cheap.

Thanks!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast