Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadwood View Post
    There is no doubt dehydration and muscle fatigue will cause cramps but I think, as with any thing, there will be almost as many reasons for cramps as there are responses. I have leg and foot cramps occasionally when sleeping in my bed but I have leg and foot cramps EVERY TIME I sleep in my hammocks. Some times I don't hike or do anything strenuous, just sleep in my hammock out on the deck on a weekend and I will have cramps. Sometime during the night they wake me and sometimes it's just when I get out of the hammock like the OP but I have them at some point every time I use my hammock. I have tried supplements, bananas and other fruits, pickle juice, etc. and I sleep with a pillow under my knees and none seem to have any effect on whatever causes my cramps. The type of hammock doesn't seem to matter either. I have both gathered end and bridge hammocks and I have these issues with them all. I don't know if it's just wishing for an answer but I have found only two things that I can attribute my cramps, right or wrong. One is cold weather. Even though it doesn't get COLD here in Georgia, if it gets to 32 deg and I am out in the cold for more than a few hours, when I get in my hammock I can count on my feet and legs cramping as they warm up. The other thing with a hammock is sleeping on my back. I cannot sleep on my back in my bed. I can sleep on my back in my hammocks, though not soundly, but that and the fact I move in my bed but typically don't move much in my hammock may have something to do with it. It will be interesting to see how others are affected and remedies you might have. Even the pickle juice isn't as bad as trying to escape from a TQ and zipped bug net with my leg tied in a square knot from cramping.
    I think perhaps from your situation it may be just a simple matter of having your feet elevated. I have an aunt who has a bad back, anyhow it was recommended for her to sleep with her feet elevated on top of pillows to relieve some of the strain on her back, which worked perfectly, however, she began to have calf cramping issues. Long story short the doctor seemed to indicate that having her legs elevated may have caused those issues.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    As important as "hydration" is keep your electrolytes up. It takes more than drinking water. I use Vitalyte which is rebranded Gookin-Aid which is a concoction formulated by a track coach to prevent cramps. I drank a quart every day on the PCT (used water after the quart). You should be replenishing during the day rather than trying to "catch up" all at one time.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Not to be confused with charley horses right? Or the same? I'll get one in my calf now and then and it's the craziest pain ever. Luckily only lasts for about 15 seconds. Remember to point your toes TOWARDS your head, not away.

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    I use dehydrated banana chips. They are easy to make if you have a dehydrator and easier to just buy. I get mine at Aldi. I eat them at dinner as desert or as a snack on the trail.

I used to be worried about dehydration causing my cramps. I found out that if I drink water heavily fortified with electrolytes it helps a lot. I also find that I have a tendency to over-hydrate. I drink so much water that I'm peeing away all my electrolytes and that's why I'm cramping. For me, too much water can be just as bad as not enough.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scrope View Post
    I also find that I have a tendency to over-hydrate. I drink so much water that I'm peeing away all my electrolytes and that's why I'm cramping. For me, too much water can be just as bad as not enough.
    I never thought of that. But on this past week's trip I joked about going 4 times in about an hour while hiking. I doubt my body was doing anything with all that water and I was hardly sweating at all.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear 11'
    Tarp
    Adventuridge 12'
    Insulation
    Chill Gorilla UQ
    Suspension
    Daisy Chains
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Not to be confused with charley horses right? Or the same? I'll get one in my calf now and then and it's the craziest pain ever. Luckily only lasts for about 15 seconds. Remember to point your toes TOWARDS your head, not away.
    I do believe that they are charley horses probably. Thanks for the tip. I meant to say fifteen to thirty seconds but my mind went off on a tangent and I typed 3-5 mins without thinking (and this is why you should always fact check yourself).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.”
    -John Muir

Hammock
    DIY basic
    Tarp
    Amazon Special
    Insulation
    DIY Apex UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    You'd be surprised by how many people swear by mustard packets. They're very favorable for backpacking (light, single use, no worries about refrigeration). I used to coach wrestling and we're on a clock for injury time outs (limited to 2, and only 90 cumulative seconds allowed), and mustard packets can be awesome.

Hammock
    Hennessy UL
    Tarp
    Standard
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    WS
    I am prone to leg cramps and have tried many remedies. V-8 juice works fastest for me. When I hike the AT, I plan to carry powdered freeze dried tomatoes and Lite salt (which contains potassium) to make a leg cramp tonic.

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxhiker View Post
    I am prone to leg cramps and have tried many remedies. V-8 juice works fastest for me. When I hike the AT, I plan to carry powdered freeze dried tomatoes and Lite salt (which contains potassium) to make a leg cramp tonic.
    Brilliant and tasty

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I have not had much success with dehydrated bananas. When I owned a dehydrator, I'd try to make dried sliced bananas. But after they were done, there was no telling about the quality. So I had to test one. But just because that one was okay - delicious even - it didn't mean the others were okay. So I'd have to test another. But just because that one was okay, it didn't mean the others were okay. But just because that one was okay ... It's amazing how many bananas you can eat when they are dried.

These days, I might buy a bag of "chips" from Trader Joes. But even better than the chips, are the ones that come in the yellow foil bag that are are not hard chips. I've learned to not open that bag until I am at the actual campsite. Only then do they have a chance of lasting for the duration of the adventure.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast