hummingbird single+
    Tarp
    zpacks 7x9
    Insulation
    HG econ 30º
    Suspension
    out-of-school

Question Sliding into the "belly" of the hammock

I've spent (just) two nights in a hammock so far. Mine is a Hummingbird Single+. I've tried following Shug's advice and lay diagonally with my head end slightly lower than the foot end and my actual head closer to the end of the hammock. However, within a few minutes, my body seems to slide down into the "belly"/lower section of the hammock. This usually results in me also losing the diagonal angle of my lay. Does anyone else have experience with this? Any advice?

Try making the foot end a few more inches higher. It takes a bit of experimenting to find your own personal level.
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by xnktx View Post
    I've spent (just) two nights in a hammock so far. Mine is a Hummingbird Single+. I've tried following Shug's advice and lay diagonally with my head end slightly lower than the foot end and my actual head closer to the end of the hammock. However, within a few minutes, my body seems to slide down into the "belly"/lower section of the hammock. This usually results in me also losing the diagonal angle of my lay. Does anyone else have experience with this? Any advice?
    It could because the Hummingbird is a 9' long hammock. Pretty short to get a good lay for sleeping.
    I would consider it a lounging hammock as opposed to a sleeping hammock.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    hummingbird single+
    Tarp
    zpacks 7x9
    Insulation
    HG econ 30º
    Suspension
    out-of-school
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    It could because the Hummingbird is a 9' long hammock.
    Hummingbird Single+ is 10' long.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I noticed in their specs Hummingbird lists it as 116" (9.66ft... ok, close enough to 10') and width of 63" which, depending upon your height, should work fine.

I'm 5'9" and have three 10' Dream Hammock Dariens, 2 with 64" width and 1 with 66" width and find them all extremely comfortable.

As old4hats recommended, make the foot end higher—maybe even up to a foot(!), referencing hammock head and foot, not suspension head and foot—and you will likely notice this problem disappear or be greatly diminished. Also, make sure you've got a good diagonal lay and are using all that width, which ensures a flatter lay.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I also noticed from photos/video on their website that Hummingbird hammocks do not have a structural ridge line (SRL), and if you really want to reduce frustration factor and get a consistent lay, you definitely should add one. The SRL ensures that even if the suspension angles are not dead bang on you will still get the same sag every time with the hammock.

Using the 83% guideline, start with a SRL of about 97"
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    According to Hummingbird's website, the single is 104" long- which is only 8.6'. The Single + & double are both 116" long- or 9.6'.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I noticed in their specs Hummingbird lists it as 116" (9.66ft... ok, close enough to 10') and width of 63" which, depending upon your height, should work fine.

I'm 5'9" and have three 10' Dream Hammock Dariens, 2 with 64" width and 1 with 66" width and find them all extremely comfortable.

As old4hats recommended, make the foot end higher—maybe even up to a foot(!), referencing hammock head and foot, not suspension head and foot—and you will likely notice this problem disappear or be greatly diminished. Also, make sure you've got a good diagonal lay and are using all that width, which ensures a flatter lay.
    Ditto. Unless you are quite tall, you should be OK in 9-10 ft hammocks, or at least I am. A lot of folks love longer hammocks for various reasons. But, the old Speer hammocks were once highly rated here for their over all comfort, and they were never over 8-9 ft long. Longer hammocks I realize are highly preferred by some, but some of us get by with shorter hammocks without much problem.

Your problem is you are sliding down hill, jut as I did when I 1st started using an almost 11 ft long Hennessy Explorer, and which can be accomplished in any length hammock. Raise that foot end up 2 or 2 1/2 feet above head end height! At some point you WILL stop sliding back down. Then start reducing the foot elevation until you are sliding again. Then back up a bit, and you should be good. One thing is almost certain: there is an elevated foot height at which you will not slide, unless you are able to slide uphill.

Hammock
    hummingbird single+
    Tarp
    zpacks 7x9
    Insulation
    HG econ 30º
    Suspension
    out-of-school
    I will experiment and report back!

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    When I lie in my own hammock, I want to feel the support/pressure between my hips and shoulder blades. If I feel any pressure on my butt, I raise the foot end. Think of how you feel in a fully reclined Lazy-Boy recliner, 2 hours after eating Thanksgiving dinner.
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

• + New Posts