Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ

Trip Planning: NY Bikepacking

I'm hoping to obtain some suggestions for bicycle-accessible wilderness campsites in the Hudson Valley and Catskills, or even eastern NJ. By "wilderness" I mean not local town parks where you pay a fee to be surrounded by 100 other people; rather, something along the lines of Harriman but where access to campsites doesn't involve hauling the bike 2 miles up a foot trail...which is not only wrong but annoying.

Almost all of my experience is in hiking Harriman, Fahnestock and the Gunks. The designated sites that are along the roads are seasonal and crowded. There have got to be sites/locations that I'm just not aware of. My plan of attack would be to ride from somewhere in Westchester, probably using a rail trail, then entering the park to camp.

I see there are several NY and NJ members here, so I'm hoping to gain some insight. This weekend I hiked to Big Hill, which is accessible by Old Turnpike, which could support a bike ride for a lot of the route although there's a couple of sections that are pure rock fields. I don't need a shelter....it's just one spot where the designated site appeared to be proximate to a road.

Thank you.

Hammock
    DH T-BIRD - SL 1.8 poly
    Tarp
    HG CF 4
    Insulation
    LeighLo/HG
    Suspension
    Adj web, whoopies

Check Stewart State Forest

You might want to look into Stewart State Forest outside of Newburgh. I have not camped there personally but have mountain biked there. It's mostly pretty mild terrain but quite big. Camping by permit is allowed but you would need to look into regulations as well as hunting seasons. I would think stealth camping would be possible there but I don't know the consequences of getting caught in the backcountry.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/50095.html

Here's a map.https://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/regions_...ewartsfweb.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    I'm hoping to obtain some suggestions for bicycle-accessible wilderness campsites in the Hudson Valley and Catskills, or even eastern NJ. By "wilderness" I mean not local town parks where you pay a fee to be surrounded by 100 other people; rather, something along the lines of Harriman but where access to campsites doesn't involve hauling the bike 2 miles up a foot trail...which is not only wrong but annoying.

Almost all of my experience is in hiking Harriman, Fahnestock and the Gunks. The designated sites that are along the roads are seasonal and crowded. There have got to be sites/locations that I'm just not aware of. My plan of attack would be to ride from somewhere in Westchester, probably using a rail trail, then entering the park to camp.

I see there are several NY and NJ members here, so I'm hoping to gain some insight. This weekend I hiked to Big Hill, which is accessible by Old Turnpike, which could support a bike ride for a lot of the route although there's a couple of sections that are pure rock fields. I don't need a shelter....it's just one spot where the designated site appeared to be proximate to a road.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Suede; 10-10-2019 at 12:58. Reason: Added map url
    John aka Suede

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    What about California state forest
    At large camping is allowed
    And I'm pretty sure mtn bikes are too

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
    What about California state forest
    At large camping is allowed
    And I'm pretty sure mtn bikes are too

So wait, there's a Long Beach NY not CA and California State Forest NY not CA as well?

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WinterDream
    Insulation
    HG & Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Dutch CRL w/ Tatos
    I think Stewart State Forest might be ideal, that is if you wish to see a jetliner's belly up close and personal. The State Forest lands start less than 1000 feet from the end of the Stewart Airport runway. I think quieter areas can be found.

Look at Google maps and find any lands designated "state forest." Check the DEC website page for that forest and see if primitive camping is permitted. Most forests in the state permit it. California Hill State Forest permits at-large primitive camping. Just need to be 150' off the road or trail or from a body of water.

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    So wait, there's a Long Beach NY not CA and California State Forest NY not CA as well?
    Yup
    Ny not cali20191010_134210.jpg

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Thank you all.
    Years ago I did a recon of California Hill and it was a tangled mess of brambles. I couldn't see how anyone could walk in it much less find a place to camp. As I recall I drove up Waywayanda Ct and thought it was a fail. Was I approaching from the wrong direction?
    Yeah, sleeping next to an airport doesn't sound too enticing

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    There is a huge difference between state forest and wilderness forest. Wilderness forest ,is free camping up to 3 days with less than a certain number of people. you can relocate a few hundred yards for 3 more days and on and on. It is a good idea to browse the dec website. Lots of great inforamtion and safety tips. You'd be surprised how pro wild camp they are.

• + New Posts