warbonnet ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY Dyneema
    Insulation
    warbonnet lynx
    Suspension
    dutch jewelery

Dyneema tarp for winter conditions

Hi, not sure if this will come to a result. But let me ask you folks. Those who switched from "regular" tarp width which is approximately 114 inches to dyneema tarp which should be somewhere around 102 inches.

1. Do you miss the extra width you used to have? Or... is there a way you achieve the 114 width of the tarp?

2. Why the dyneema tarps have double rolled hems sewn rather than bonded? Less work? /yes, lower costs/ Any other reason?

Thanks for the replies

M.

Images
    If budget allows, you could always take the plunge to the Hammock Gear Dyneema Palace tarp, which is 124" wide thanks to extra panels of material added at the bottom.

This tarp has a bonded/taped ridgeline; the guyline areas and panel pulls are reinforced with a double layer which is bonded and sewn; the extra panels at the bottom are bonded to the upper panels; and I believe the perimeter hems are rolled and sewn (not taped).

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    I own the HG Standard.In my opinion it was a huge mistake because it is just not enough tarp.
    If you want to go the dyneema route,pay the money for the Winter Palace and then you will have something worth having.While you're at it,get the camo version because that translucent material will otherwise become a traveling greenhouse and does not give you much privacy either.You want the camo
    Winter Palace.

I will say there is one thing I do like about my HG Standard and that is the weight.I know people use them but I feel "exposed" to the elements in mine because it is simply not wide enough for my own liking.

Hammock
    warbonnet ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY Dyneema
    Insulation
    warbonnet lynx
    Suspension
    dutch jewelery
    Thanks guys. Actually I am thinking about makin one myself, but the shopping cart always equals to finished tarp from the vendor

I would opt for the wider option, with additional panerl for enough coverage. I know what a winter storm is, thats why I am surprised that they sell such small tarps.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    My standard HG dyneema tarp with doors keeps me bone dry, even in Florida monsoons and it's light as a feather. That's why they sell them.
    On the other hand, for wind protection during deep winter outings in New England, I reach for my 140" ultra wide silpoly with doors. I might as well be hanging in a cabin, but I'm out of the wind.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    I own the HG Standard.In my opinion it was a huge mistake because it is just not enough tarp.
    My first Dyneema tarp was the HG Standard and I also felt that it was not enough tarp. In just a few months I got wet several times from rain blowing underneath. I soon upgraded to the Winter Palace (124" wide) and have been happy (and dry) ever since.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 09-30-2019 at 18:08.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

I never got wet under my HG standard, but if full on winter protection is what your looking for, by all means, go for the Palace. I already had a dedicated 12 foot sil winter tarp (plus a later purchase of a hot tent) before I bought my Standard for late spring/summer/fall backpacking.

Hammock
    11' SLD Lair
    Tarp
    SLD and HG WP
    Insulation
    HG UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    My first Dyneema tarp was the HG Standard and I also felt that it was not enough tarp. In just a few months I got wet several times from rain blowing underneath. I soon upgraded to the Winter Palace (124" wide) and have been happy (and dry) ever since).
    This was my experience also.

Hammock
    warbonnet ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY Dyneema
    Insulation
    warbonnet lynx
    Suspension
    dutch jewelery
    that is what I was thinking. Not enough coverage. And I felt into ridgerunner sea, so I just need wide tarp. But the palace seems to be wide too much. I will end up making my own I guess.

Hammock
    warbonnet ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY Dyneema
    Insulation
    warbonnet lynx
    Suspension
    dutch jewelery
    What are the vertical lines on those tarps? Maybe 1/2 yards marking from the factory?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast