WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps

Klymit Inertia X pad product at REI outlet

I was recently inspired to search REI for Klymit products and saw there Inertia X model in the outlet mall for about $45. It weights 10 oz and packs to 3 x 6 inches. The trick is - it is full of cutouts so the inflation is only where you need it (they claim). I don't know about that, but I figured if someone wanted a spacer between the layers of their DL hammock (to create an insulating air chamber), this would to the job.

For my first summer in a hammock, I just had a therm-a-rest inside the hammock DL and it worked okay (not like the UQ's I have now of course). This blow-up might do the same job but weight less.

I don't own one. I just saw it and though some of the UL'ters might be interested in it. I give UL'ters a little flack now and then so this post is supposed to be a peace offering; that was my intention.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    The problem I have with the Inertia is that it's designed for use with a sleeping bag to fill those cutouts. When I use a pad in my hammock I don't use a UQ so the only thing between me and the cold is the pad. Having holes in the pad would just provide paths for cold air. Maybe if you are using the pad to flatten the hammock but are using an QU for insulation this might work.

The other issue I have with this is it seems to be designed for back sleepers. I'm a side sleeper and I doubt it would work nearly as well.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I wouldn't think it would work so well IN the hammock; that's why I suggested it a a spacer between the layers of a DL hammock. I started out buying DL hammocks because I thought I'd always use a pad. The DL were more "bite through" mosquito proof and I had a go-to-ground option. But then I discovered UQ's. Now I mostly use UQ's and a UQP.

But this "pad", at only 10 oz, packing to 3 x 6 inches, and costly only $45, seem like it was worth looking at.

If you used a sleeping bag in the hammock, instead of a TQ, the bottom of the sleeping bag, in the cutouts, would not be compressed and would provide insulation - at least that was the design idea.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    If you used a sleeping bag in the hammock, instead of a TQ, the bottom of the sleeping bag, in the cutouts, would not be compressed and would provide insulation - at least that was the design idea.
    This is more or less the case. I started out with this setup a few years ago and am still using it. Aside from being kinda fiddly to get into while keeping everything in place, it works OK. I'm a side sleeper, as well, and that doesn't seem to matter.

That said, I've still got materials for a UQ/TQ combo sitting sadly in a corner waiting their chance to be transformed. Soon, soon! But in the meantime the Klymit and a good ol' down sleeping bag do the job.

I had to use the Inertia X on the ground for one trip -- terrible, especially as a side sleeper. It was difficult to line up the holes to protect my bony self from the cold hard ground.

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    I wouldn't think it would work so well IN the hammock; that's why I suggested it a a spacer between the layers of a DL hammock.
    I don't see how using it in between layers would be any better because the voids still aren't filled. Sure, you'd have a thin membrane covering both the top and bottom but I'd expect cold to go through that pretty easily.

• + New Posts