WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    It's been said but short version- UQP not only keep quilt dry but keeps wind from robbing heat.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    Lots of discussions on HF discussing the pros and cons of a UQP.
    I must not be very talented using the search feature. It pulls up over 900 results but seems to be every single thread where "under quilt protector" or "UQP" has even been mentioned in passing in, often, completely unrelated to actual UPQ threads.

I appreciate everyones input. Brought up some very valid points to consider that hadn't occured to me.

That opens the next question... who makes a decent UQP? 3 of the 4 companies I've dealt with so far don't offer one, and the 1 that does states that it's not suitable to be used without their pad, and doesn't appear to be large enough to offer much protection for a full sized UQ. Looks more like a "second skin" for a pad to convert a single layer hammock to a double layer.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
    I must not be very talented using the search feature. It pulls up over 900 results but seems to be every single thread where "under quilt protector" or "UQP" has even been mentioned in passing in, often, completely unrelated to actual UPQ threads.

I appreciate everyones input. Brought up some very valid points to consider that hadn't occured to me.

That opens the next question... who makes a decent UQP? 3 of the 4 companies I've dealt with so far don't offer one, and the 1 that does states that it's not suitable to be used without their pad, and doesn't appear to be large enough to offer much protection for a full sized UQ. Looks more like a "second skin" for a pad to convert a single layer hammock to a double layer.
    2QZQ is probably the most popular one. I got mine through Dutchware.

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/underquilt-portector/

Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    2QZQ is probably the most popular one.
    That's funny. I've seen "2QZQ" mentioned quite often in the forum and had NO idea wth they were talking about. ~Thanks!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
    That's funny. I've seen "2QZQ" mentioned quite often in the forum and had NO idea wth they were talking about. ~Thanks!
    They are a husband and wife who are members here and their business is also known for doing modifications to Hennessy Hammocks. Before Hennessy offered zipper entry, folks could send their Hennessy to 2QZQ and they would add a zipper.

https://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC/Eldorado
    Tarp
    HG dyneema
    Insulation
    Diamondback,wookie
    Suspension
    Spider/Beetle
    Images
    Also, Simply Light Designs has an underquilt that is an underquilt and UQP all in one. Called the Trail Winder. Very nice. https://simplylightdesigns.com/colle...winder-asym-uq

Hammock
    Dutch 11' Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20 UQ
    Suspension
    whoppie sling
    In many of the places I hang, there is quite a lot of underbrush between otherwise perfect trees. The underquilt protector for me isn't so much about blocking wind or sideways rain (although it does help with that) as much as keeping the expensive underquilt from getting ripped up by foot-high shrubbery.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    I bought one and never used it. Sold it. YMMV. I think if you're not getting splash back currently, nor losing a bunch of heat from wind then you should be able to make the determination that you don't need one. Nice that they exist for those that need them. I never did.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek XL
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Mine is from 2QZQ as well. I keep it attached to my Ridgecreek XL UQ. I deem it essential, as it protects to UQ. The minimal amount of extra weight and bulk is well worth the added protection.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn View Post
    I bought one and never used it. Sold it. YMMV. I think if you're not getting splash back currently, nor losing a bunch of heat from wind then you should be able to make the determination that you don't need one. Nice that they exist for those that need them. I never did.
    I did the same. I think if someone is getting splashing, the site is horrible to begin with. And the tarp is too small, which leads to a larger tarp that can solve both of those issue anyway. More coverage to prevent rain/splashing and also block wind. You're trading that dirty UQP fabric for tarp fabric.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast