Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ

First UQ Where to Start: Full or 3/4 Length?

I've had my hammock going on three weeks now and had it out in the wild last night for the first time. Prior use in the backyard to get familiar with hanging. I couldn't quite get comfy on the Thermarest, so I chucked it out of the hammock since it was about 70 degrees when darkness fell. You know where this is going.....

It was definitely not 70 at 4am when I woke up cold across my shoulders and kidneys. The best I can tell from NOAA it dipped to about 50 degrees. Top of my body was plenty warm under a 40 degree quilt wearing light weight long johns. I pulled the Thermarest back in and finished out the night but the air mattress is certainly clunky for a big guy to get centered on. I'm ready to commit to an UQ (as members here suggested in my very first post!) and ditch the pad.

I'm in NY. Most use will be in the Lower Hudson Valley, Catskills. I'm 6 ft 2 inches. I'm a warm sleeper (always want a window open). I don't plan to go into deep winter. My first impulse was to go with a 20 degree full length UQ, but wonder if that is overkill for the season. I might have been roasting in that for most of the night last night. Now I'm thinking 40 degree 3/4 length to save some weight and bulk.

Caveat is that the UQ has to extend to my low back. When my kidneys get cold, I'm up all night watering the landscape.

Will purchase from HG because I have their hammock, customer service and turn around time is excellent. I don't have a strong opinion about Econ versus regular. I wouldn't mind saving some weight but it's not a lot of weight to begin with.

Bring on the feedback! I know there are many NY and NJ folks here, anxious to hear your suggestions on where to start.

Thank you.

Hammock
    WB ELD / SLD TL / HH Del. Expl.
    Tarp
    SLD / Hen / HG
    Insulation
    HG Econ/CDT Gemini
    You won't regret an Econ 20 degree Incubator. It is a very safe choice. I have one and love it. If you don't like it, you can always get most of your money back by reselling it.

For 50s and warmer nights, you could rig up a poncho liner underquilt or something. Or do what I did, make a no-sew Costco Gemini underquilt and have a very flexible, very respectable solution for spring/fall camping for a very low cost.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    I've had my hammock going on three weeks now and had it out in the wild last night for the first time. Prior use in the backyard to get familiar with hanging. I couldn't quite get comfy on the Thermarest, so I chucked it out of the hammock since it was about 70 degrees when darkness fell. You know where this is going.....

It was definitely not 70 at 4am when I woke up cold across my shoulders and kidneys. The best I can tell from NOAA it dipped to about 50 degrees. Top of my body was plenty warm under a 40 degree quilt wearing light weight long johns. I pulled the Thermarest back in and finished out the night but the air mattress is certainly clunky for a big guy to get centered on. I'm ready to commit to an UQ (as members here suggested in my very first post!) and ditch the pad.

I'm in NY. Most use will be in the Lower Hudson Valley, Catskills. I'm 6 ft 2 inches. I'm a warm sleeper (always want a window open). I don't plan to go into deep winter. My first impulse was to go with a 20 degree full length UQ, but wonder if that is overkill for the season. I might have been roasting in that for most of the night last night. Now I'm thinking 40 degree 3/4 length to save some weight and bulk.

Caveat is that the UQ has to extend to my low back. When my kidneys get cold, I'm up all night watering the landscape.

Will purchase from HG because I have their hammock, customer service and turn around time is excellent. I don't have a strong opinion about Econ versus regular. I wouldn't mind saving some weight but it's not a lot of weight to begin with.

Bring on the feedback! I know there are many NY and NJ folks here, anxious to hear your suggestions on where to start.

Thank you.
    Go full unless weight is an issue (although I doubt we're talking about more than 8-10 ounces max).
    3/4 length and you'll need a foot pad below 40-30 degrees or your feet are going to bother you.
    If you don't camp in weather below 40 degrees 3/4 may work better?
    My .02˘ or IMHO I have full length 20* and 0* for all seasons. 20* spring summer and fall, 0* in winter and stacked together if it is expected below -5*. If my feet get cold it usually is over and I definitely appreciate the full length and NEVER even notice any "extra weight".

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

I'm a hot sleeper, and about 6'. I originally bought a 3/4, and it's fiddly trying to stay comfortable in colder weather. I car camp, and realized that I can always loosen the catches and flow more air through my UQ, but I can't make a 3/4 length quilt longer.

Images
    Yes, if you’re even asking the question, go full length.

I use my 20F gear year round. I don’t worry about carrying a lighter set.

Hammock
    Dutchware Wide Hexon 1.7
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by GilligansWorld View Post
    Go full unless weight is an issue (although I doubt we're talking about more than 8-10 ounces max).
    3/4 length and you'll need a foot pad below 40-30 degrees or your feet are going to bother you.
    If you don't camp in weather below 40 degrees 3/4 may work better?
    My .02˘ or IMHO I have full length 20* and 0* for all seasons. 20* spring summer and fall, 0* in winter and stacked together if it is expected below -5*. If my feet get cold it usually is over and I definitely appreciate the full length and NEVER even notice any "extra weight".

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    I agree with this. I recently purchased a 3/4 30* Econ Phoenix and now I am wishing it was a full length. I’m 6’5” and the 3/4 just doesn’t give me the coverage I thought it would at my height. So I am going to be ordering a HG full length.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." – Douglas Adams

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Both work great.

If you want easiest, get the full length.

If you don't mind learning the ins and outs of partial UQ's, then cut a section of an old blue Walmart CCF pad and let it keep your feet warm in the hammock and your butt warm and dry on the ground. I place my pad inside the footbox and let the sides curl upward a bit. Works great! I borrow Shug's idea and add a self-inflating sitpad when it's close to the pad's rating.

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDoc View Post
    ..... I can always loosen the catches and flow more air through my UQ, but I can't make a 3/4 length quilt longer.
    Excellent point! As is the one below about 3/4 being fiddly for taller people. Ok. Full length it is.Better to have the length and not need it.

Hammock
    11' SLD Lair
    Tarp
    SLD and HG WP
    Insulation
    HG UQ
    Images
    I use both. If I could only have one for both winter and summer it would be
    full length. As I get older, 56, I have noticed my extremities get a little
    cooler when temps drop into the 30's. I haven't tried my sit pad under
    my feet but would probably just kick it around during the night.

I don't have any experience with a 3/4, but under advice went with a full length 20* right out of the gate and haven't regretted it a single night. I'm 5'11" and also a very warm sleeper. I've been using it on warmer nights (60-65) since I got it as well. I just keep it "dropped" and loose for maximum air flow and haven't had any sweaty nights. What's nice is, even catching a bit of a chill on one end or the other as the season is changing, it takes all of about 2 seconds to raise one end or the other to restrict air flow without even having to get out of bed. ;-)

That being said, I'm not a very serious ounce counter. The difference in weight between a 3/4 - full wouldn't even register on my radar. Functionality reigns supreme in my book.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast