Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Wouldn't it be easier to sleep outdoors or in a shed?
    My thoughts as well. Just sleep outside and spend your days inside the shed. Easier to heat the shed in the day. During the day, you will also be more active, cooking and digesting food, and wearing more clothes, so you won’t even need to make it as warm.

Actually I have slept in a hammock outside at subzero temps in the past. I was testing in the backyard before doing some winter overnights on the AT here in VT & NH.

For the past couple of years I have used a hinge on top of the door for the entry way into the room. I don't put the hinge on the side of the door for the very reason of trapping the heat and not letting it escape.

I do use the room for more than sleeping. Pretty much all the time I'm in the house I'm in the room doing whatever. I don't need much room but if I want to use the computer I don't want to have freezing hands since I use a laptop and always use the touch pads as mouse pads, by choice. I prefer to have more than just the hammock around me warm. I don't need much other room but some.

I'll bring this back up and give a few more ideas since I finally got the chance to give my idea a try. Granted it was only for a few minutes not a full night but it appears it will do most everything I want it to other than it doesn't have any sides of the hammock to help give a little less of a chance of falling out like all my former hammock setups have given me.

The idea was a two point hang on each end of the hammock. The first is a gathered end which has the knot below a U-bolt and then the cloth goes up and runs behind and over the top a 2x3 bolted into the wall. The 2x3 allows the flatten out of the material so I have flat hammock. It is hung up the same way on both ends. The room is 5 feet long and 3 feet wide, inner dimensions. I've included photos showing, the best I can, the way it hung up.
    DSC00563.JPGDSC00565.JPGDSC00566.jpg

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    OMG!!

This is a really interesting read.. Kudos to you for taking this on.
    That said.. small rectangular room brings nothing to my mind than a coffin. I couldn't do it.

What do you do with the rest of what would traditionally be living space in your house?
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    OMG!!

This is a really interesting read.. Kudos to you for taking this on.
    That said.. small rectangular room brings nothing to my mind than a coffin. I couldn't do it.

What do you do with the rest of what would traditionally be living space in your house?
    Pretty much has become junk storage space. I had to clean some of it up and got rid of some of the junk I had been collecting so I had the room to take down the old room and erect the new room, mainly moving the insulation around. At least there is a bit more walking around space in the rest of the house now compared to what was there before. I only heat the living area not the storage area. Heating the air is the most inefficient way of heating you could ever show me. I am thinking around the idea of body heaters but not sure how, non-chemically, you do it.

Funny thing is since I moved into my friends house I have been spending most of my life living it the same way. I spend most of the time on the couch. Everything I do while I'm in the house is done while I'm on the couch. I surf the web, sleep, etc all on the couch. I realize I don't need the space to do anything other than store junk. I need very little space to make me happy.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234