Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    If you go with a rectangular-shaped box, you could hang a longer hammock- with the foot end hung higher than the head end, and still be able to sleep on a diagonal. That would eliminate the fabric bunching issue.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    From what I've read so far, you're dealing with a number of variables, but all of them seem to be self-imposed. The path to your eventual solution via experimentation will depend on the order in which you prioritize and implement your variable solutions. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but...

1. It seems that you are not using any typical suspension methods, but rather are fastening the hammock fabric directly to your insulated structure.
    2. It seems that you are not using typical hammock insulation such as quilts, pads, blankets - but rely on ambient room temps to keep you warm.

If my assumptions are correct, your chosen parameters are probably beyond what most of us have experienced. You don't have to answer my question (I'm just curious, not judging), but what is the priority order of your variables? (Cost, comfort, warmth, independence, portability, no foot bunch, no calf ridge, etc.) Sometimes writing things out brings clarity and provides the next logical step. You've shared some of your philosophy, thoughts, approaches, methods, but my question is asking you to rank those thoughts.

I'll be following this thread with interest because of the challenges it presents. Good luck!
    The game is the best teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Watertooner View Post
    From what I've read so far, you're dealing with a number of variables, but all of them seem to be self-imposed. The path to your eventual solution via experimentation will depend on the order in which you prioritize and implement your variable solutions. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but...

1. It seems that you are not using any typical suspension methods, but rather are fastening the hammock fabric directly to your insulated structure.
    2. It seems that you are not using typical hammock insulation such as quilts, pads, blankets - but rely on ambient room temps to keep you warm.

If my assumptions are correct, your chosen parameters are probably beyond what most of us have experienced. You don't have to answer my question (I'm just curious, not judging), but what is the priority order of your variables? (Cost, comfort, warmth, independence, portability, no foot bunch, no calf ridge, etc.) Sometimes writing things out brings clarity and provides the next logical step. You've shared some of your philosophy, thoughts, approaches, methods, but my question is asking you to rank those thoughts.

I'll be following this thread with interest because of the challenges it presents. Good luck!
    Point 1. Correct. I am using u-bolts attached directly to the wall. It helps to eliminate hang space automatically. Instead of using any guy lines or anything else I have the fabric directly stuck up through the u-bolt and the u-bolt directly attached to the wall.

Point 2. The past couple of years I was using a regular bed blanket underneath the hammock. The first couple of years it was safety pinned underneath the hammock and last year laying in the bottom of the hammock. The trouble has been fighting with the blanket trying to keep it out of the way or keeping it from coming unpinned or not wanting to have to worry about the pinning causing rips in the fabric...no guy lines or anything like that are being used. I am not wanting to have to deal with the regular methods. I do pretty everything in my house from the hammock. I cook from the hammock, I spend most of the evening on the computer directly while laying/sitting in the hammock and I sleep in the hammock. While in my house I generally spend 85%+ of my time in the hammock. I don't have any other furniture in the house.

Priority of variables. Kinda depends on how you are looking at it. Really it is all of them at the same level, it just depends on when you are talking about the variable appearing. In the development side, the cost and warmth factor are the biggest variable. I'm trying to keep the cost of both the design/build down while also looking ahead to living in and keeping the heat cost down or completely gone. Naturally I want the warmth also while inside since I am spend most of my time in the house in the room/in the hammock. I don't really care if the rest of the house is warm or not...I'm simply trying to keep the room warm which will naturally keep me warm no matter what I am doing in the room/hammock...hence a bit why I want the room warm and not just relying on underquilts/blankets. Since I am single and have lived on my own my whole life, 46 years old, I'm not too worried about independence since I pretty much have it already. Portability is the last thing because I need to get the room/insulation system energy free first and want to do it inside where it is warmer in the first place before taking the whole thing outside and testing it in subzero temps. After I have the successful testing then I plan to go back increasing the size of the room dimensions and see if can build a standard sized room with no energy input to keep it warm(it would probably be a real challenge for that even if you use double walls spaced apart and stuff the insulation in between them(aka 16 inch thick walls filled with insulation instead of the standard 2x4 wall)). Comfort and the other comfort related variables would all need to be there so you could even tolerate 'living' in the hammock. Granted I have had a couple of nights in the current setup with the foot bunching/ridge and have dealt with it but it would be much nicer if I did not have to deal with it.

I would say cost would be the first factor, warmth would be a very close second place, comfort and its likenesses would be third and portability would be fourth. Actually as I type this I might add in adaptabilty might be more so number one as I want something than I can easily scale in size and that is biggest reason for the post right now is not being able to figure out how to scale down in size and still keep a decent amount of comfort in place. If you're not comfortable you won't get a good nights sleep.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    If you want to be grid free, have you thought about Geothermal? I believe there's a company in Batesville, Indiana that manufactures a one person resting structure like you're describing that works with Geothermal insulation.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    If you want to be grid free, have you thought about Geothermal? I believe there's a company in Batesville, Indiana that manufactures a one person resting structure like you're describing that works with Geothermal insulation.
    If I'm not mistaken the geothermal installion cost big bucks for one thing as they still run on energy. I would love to actually get down to body heat only. I don't think that could ever happen I think I would still have to have a light on, granted after dark you still do need light so that is something you need regardless. Since I'm on the laptop computer all the time I have the stray heat from it as well. Typically in a given month they consume 4-5 kW a month for me, hence my low summer time consumption.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I need pictures.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Finally managed to get more than 2-3 minutes at home today, okay so it was only around 10 minutes today that I had at home. I took some photos so help better give an idea of what I have been doing and what I am most recently thinking of doing. I'm not sure how soon anything might happen. Since late Monday morning I have been caretaking a friend of mine 24/7 hence why I have seen such little time at home, day or night...I'm spending the nights at his house as well. Not sure how long this might go on. Right now...it could be a while. Getting any testing in this winter might be difficult. It's amazing how fast things can change in the twinkling of an eye.

DSC00559.jpg

This shows the u-bolt attached to the wall up by the ceiling. I should use a regular knot in the fabric as it holds tight real well and thanks to the u-bolt hold the fabric to the wall it doesn't allow the knot to tighten any. I was surprised how easy it was to untie the knot in the fabric when I took it down from the previous room.

DSC00560.jpg

This the wall with the hammock set up in it entirety, one wall only. The other is done the same way. The other wall has the extra fabric hanging all the way down to the floor.

DSC00561.JPG

Where you see my finger up against the fabric is where the new u-bolt position would be in my most recent idea. I would pull the fabric up to where the current u-bolt is located and flatten the fabric out and have it run between the 2x3 just below the ceiling and another piece of wood I would screw into that 2x3. It should be able to keep everything coming up through and down over to the next wall flat without any creases. The only problem is me liking to have the sides on the hammock to help give the sensation I wouldn't fall out overnight.

DSC00562.jpg

This shows the outside of the room. Not the best of images by a super long shot. Not sure why it is so grainy, unless the lighting was causing the graininess.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    You may want to study the science behind igloo designs. Cold air sinks, so they put the entry down real low and elevate the floor, which traps the heat. So no loss of heat to enter and exit like what would typically happen when you open a typical door.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Another thing to keep in mind is humidity will dramatically affect how warm it feels. So if you allow your body to raise the humidity by not ventilating it out, it will raise the heat index. Wet air will hold heat longer and also reduce sweat evaporation. Maybe you could even boil some water inside to speed up the process.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Why insulate a room if you only want to sleep warm? I don't heat the room I sleep in at all, because I don't like the way heating makes the air dry. In winter it's around 50°F at night indoors, and I simply use a hammock sock. There are insulated hammock socks for very low temperatures. I actually wonder why you sleep in a room at all. Wouldn't it be easier to sleep outdoors or in a shed?

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast