Protect UQ on LBCH

Greetings everyone. I'm about to head out to Lake Lila in the ADK with my son and nephew next week, and there's a prediction of rain for at least one of the days. I'm bringing my Lawson Blue Ridge Hammock that I love, but it suddenly occurred to me that the rainfly supplied with the hammock may not protect my down underquilt. If you're not familiar with the Lawson rainfly, it essentially covers the hammock and attaches via velcro to the underside of the hammock itself. That's sufficient if you're using some sort of pad inside the hammock, but I don't think it would protect an UQ from rainfall that would run down the edges of the rainfly and possibly onto the quilt itself.

Am I worrying over nothing, or should I be considering a separate tarp to offer more protection? Any thoughts/experiences would be very helpful, thank you.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'd bring a different tarp. I had a Lawson and if it rains your gonna have a soggy UQ!
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Greetings
    Your Lawson rainfly is minimual coverage- you need a larger fly. Check our local venders here as many of them have ready made tarps and I've been told that Jared @ Simply Lite Designs is super quick on stitching one up for you. How long is your hammock as this will effect the tarp ridge length. There was a WL Tadpole on the FS forum that would be a much better fly for you. If $$$ is in short- a mallmart 9x12 tarp will work for this trip and give you some more time to research your options before buying. If you DIY there is RSBTR who offer precut tarps and/or all the makings.

Thanks for the replies. I've got a Go! 11-foot tarp that I'll use for this trip until I can get a longer one--I've looked at the SL tarps, so I'll likely get one of those when I get back.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    To add another stick of log on the fire - consider an under quilt protector
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    To add another stick of log on the fire - consider an under quilt protector
    I've got one of those, but I thought they were only to protect from dirt and rain 'bouncing' from below.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Oh no - more versatile than that. If your quilt isn't quite right, the UQP envelops it to mitigate any gaps. Sometimes I use it for quick storage if I don't have another place to put some clothing or maybe I don't want some gear out in the open - so I temporarily put it in the UQP. The UQP definitely adds some degrees of warmth - especially if the wind changes such that your tarp orientation because less than optimal.

There is also posts about UQP's in the Bottom Insulation sub-forum. A point was made there than when humid mist rolls in (been there, experienced that), it covers the outside of everything. Better that it cover the outside of your UQP than your UQ.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 10-02-2019 at 13:24.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Oh no - more versatile than that. If your quilt isn't quite right, the UQP envelops it to mitigate any gaps. Sometimes I use it for quick storage if I don't have another place to put some clothing or maybe I don't want some gear out in the open - so I temporarily put it in the UQP. The UQP definitely adds some degrees of warmth - especially if the wind changes such that your tarp orientation because less than optimal.

There is also posts about UQP's in the Bottom Insulation sub-forum. A point was made there than when humid mist rolls in (been there, experienced that), it covers the outside of everything. Better that it cover the outside of your UQP than your UQ.
    Wished I'd seen this before I left for my trip (left on the 2nd). As it turns out, the UQ--I bought the Lawson UQ--offered very little warmth. The shock cords kept slipping, opening it up during the night, and when it did work, it couldn't handle the cold, which, while brisk, was still within the advertised range of the UQ. Worse, the hammock itself began twisting and torquing for reasons I can't identify and I would wake up with my back on the screen entry. All in all, a miserable three nights with that system.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I've started carrying a couple of "string" loops and small S-biners. I prussic the loops on my hammock ridge line and attach the S-biner. Then I can slide the loop where I want it, pull up the UQ bungee suspension, and put it in the S-Biner. This gives an upward pull a the ends of the UQ. Not always necessary, but when it is, it works.

I'm sorry your experience was "less than optimal".

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    The UQP won't protect your underquilt from water coming from above. If the Lawson hammock is anything like the Chrysalis hammock, you will need a tarp to keep your underquilt dry, because the water will run down the fly and into the underquilt.

• + New Posts