Has anyone made their own UQ from a down duvet.

Sorry I did try to find the right way of posting but a warning came up that I must have 3o posts before I can post ?!

Anyway-I’m toying with the idea of making a UQ from a down duvet... what cover could I use and is this just a stupid idea. Obviously I need to add the elastic inside the duvet. Reasons for this idea are many...as follows
    I’ve recently switched to a Dd frontline Xl from a Dd travel .
    I have the Dd UQ and it worked perfectly in conjunction with the travel but now with the xL it’s just a bloody hassle to be honest. I’ve written to Dd and asked for advice as it just does not seem to want to hug the hammock. They’re treating me like a newbie which is annoying as I’ve been hanging for 10 years without problems. ( incidentally the travel has fallen apart so that’s why I changed ).
    Last weekend it was 4 degrees C and we camped near a lake and at first I didn’t use my exped synmat 7 , only my Dd UQ... my back was freezing so clearly the UQ failed me... I’m unclear if it’s user error or what. Eventually I used my pad but by then it was 3 am and I struggled to fall asleep again. So this makes me wonder about making a. UQ from a down duvet from ikea ( a low rating one costing only about $25-30...

I may just say “to heck with that “ and use my pad but curiosity is getting the better of me.
    Anyone ??

Images
    See P-Dubs’s Hygge Hugger project.

If you are having trouble with getting your existing underquilt to hug the hammock, or if you want to rig up something from Ikea, try a clew suspension. It was specifically developed for this kind of application and is what I use on all of my DIY quilts.

The down covers from Ikea use low rated duck feathers and are heavy. They are not a good option for underquilts unless you are car camping and weight is not a factor. I believe they are also cotton, which doesn’t perform well in humidity.

Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    See P-Dubs’s Hygge Hugger project.

If you are having trouble with getting your existing underquilt to hug the hammock, or if you want to rig up something from Ikea, try a clew suspension. It was specifically developed for this kind of application and is what I use on all of my DIY quilts.

The down covers from Ikea use low rated duck feathers and are heavy. They are not a good option for underquilts unless you are car camping and weight is not a factor. I believe they are also cotton, which doesn’t perform well in humidity.
    Thanks for the excellent knowledgeable reply sir . Appreciate it

• + New Posts