Source for Thermolite or similar?

Hi!

I am intrigued by the Sea-to-Summit reactor liner bags, but since the first thing I would do is rip open the back to make it play nicely with a top quilt, I'm thinking a cheaper solution would be to buy raw materials.

The are made of a material called "thermolite," and I can only find industrial website references. I don't know if there's a similar product from some other companies, but I'd like to buy a couple metres (yards, if that's how you roll) to play with.

Any leads?

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    Isn't 'Thermolite' the disposable paper/metallic used for hospital surgery blankets?

If so, I persuaded them to send me 6 blankets to experiment with. It seems the person I corresponded with was not interested in any direct sales of that material, because it was only sold in large lots to medical institutions. I incorporated it as a thermal/vapor layer in a couple of items, which would never need to be put in the washing machine. It is almost weightless, compresses totally, and greatly increases warmth, as any thermal reflective would. It is worth noting that I needle punch VB layers.

When layered with stronger fabrics, it is perfectly durable enough. I only have one complete Thermolite blanket left. There must be some way to get them from a sympathetic hospital person, or someone like that who has access to blankets which have been used and are discarded.
    Last edited by psyculman; 09-27-2019 at 05:13.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Well, now, that stuff sounds interesting, indeed! But it's not the stuff I'm talking about. the S2S liner bags are neither reflective nor VB; they're some kind of hollow-fibre wizardry.

Hammock
    Dutchware Wide Hexon 1.7
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Have you thought about using thinsulate? It has the same specs as thermolite. Its available to order in bulk from amazon.
    "I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." – Douglas Adams

Oh, cool!

I've only ever seen thinsulate in non-stretch applications. Does it stretch and flex like the liner bags?

Nevermind....I just found a spec sheet for "Stretch Thinsulate." This has potential!

Ugh....nope!

It's almost like the fabric companies are colluding with the clothing manufacturers to prevent us from making our own stuff!

Also, it appears that merely stating "thermolite" is almost as uninformative as saying "thinsulate." There are dozens of products under these umbrella names, and they behave in myriad ways. So my question may be too general to answer.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    My mistake.
    The material I was referring to is Thermoflect.
    https://www.jorvet.com/product/therm...blanket-small/
    thermoflect image.jpg
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

• + New Posts