DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    I was looking at picking up another HG sleeve, when I scrolled to the bottom they had this:

I guess they want you to roll up from the bottom edge to the ridgeline, then deploy the sleeve. That should leave the whole length the same thickness.
    I've never tried it that way, but I may give it a shot. I purchased my tarp second-hand, so I never looked at the instructions on the website.

Images
    I was looking at picking up another HG sleeve, when I scrolled to the bottom they had this:
    *Please note that if you are using this sleeve with a Dyneema tarp, you must roll the panels from the bottom towards the ridgeline before stowing inside the sleeve. Once rolled into the sleeve, continue to roll into a tight ball before stowing in stuff sack. This method prevents damaging the unique material, adding longevity to your Dyneema Tarp.
    I guess they want you to roll up from the bottom edge to the ridgeline, then deploy the sleeve. That should leave the whole length the same thickness.
    "Must" seems like a strong word to use, but they probably say that for similar reasons that they recommend folding and not stuffing, when not using a sleeve. When stuffed randomly, the tarp ends up occupying a lot of volume which requires a bit of pressure to close it up in the sack. Then the tarp has some memory and retains the wrinkles after removing it the next time. It can be smoothed out, of course, but it doesn't seem illogical for the vendor to recommend against those practices, knowing that customers will want their expensive investment to last many years. Repeat wrinkling and unwrinkling might degrade the laminate layers over time. I know many attest that their DCF tarps are still pristine after many years of use, so I'm not suggesting the material needs to be carefully folded or rolled, but I can understand why the vendor advocates best practices.

I fold my Palace, but in a relatively non-OCD fashion. I can do that quickly and like that it occupies less volume than when I stuff it or use a sleeve.
    Last edited by cmc4free; 09-26-2019 at 13:29.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I've started using skins after two failed attempt to string the tarp up in high-ish winds. With the tarp in skins it was easy-peasy.

Because of my full line across the tarp rigging setup, and I was using a HH skin that was so narrow at the ends that it wouldn't slide over my gear (those last few inches would be a pain to deal with each time I deployed or put away the tarp), I didn't have a place to scrunch up the skin so I added about an 8 inch dog bone to the ends of the tarp ridge line and attach my figure-9 connector to the far end of the dog bone. That gaves me a place to slide the skins. I've only used two piece skins but just got a 13 foot SLD single for a 13 ft SuperFly. In that case, I'll only need one dog bone on the tapered end.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 09-26-2019 at 20:49.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    I have been using a one piece I purchased of of eBay a few years ago with no mesh
    And I love it over a mesh one I purchased from a vendor
    No issues bunching or sliding
    Can't believe I used to use and love 2 piece skins
    I will never go.back
    Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    C-burst, T-fly
    Insulation
    Pad,EE,WB,HG,LL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Hmmm...I just got a single tarp sleeve for my 13' Superfly. I'll post my results after next weekend's Scout trip.

Hi,

I purchased a one piece sleeve from "Chill Gorilla" and will be returning it. The sleeve is great when it's dry, but when bunched up at the end of a hammock, during rainy weather it becomes a "water collector". So when you want to store your dry tarp, the sleeve is wet inside and transfers moisture onto the dry tarp. Looking for the best suggestion for a sleeve that "breathes" and does not retain water/moisture.IMG_20190929_082907990.jpgIMG_20190929_082854501.jpgIMG_20190929_082812639.jpg
    Last edited by kquest; 09-29-2019 at 10:50. Reason: spelling

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Mesh sleeve. It'll change your life.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Two piece for my smaller normal tarps.
    A one-piece for my Superfly.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. Could you provide a link for the mesh sleeves?

You could always just put the end of the sleeve past the adjustment point, so that it bunches up well away from the tarp, and you can reach the adjustment inside it? Or just put it at the fixed end of the tarp and adjust from the other end, if you've got a ridgeline setup that you can do that with.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast