Hammock
    Chameleon, Netless
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, WB ThFly
    Insulation
    UGQ , HG, WB
    Suspension
    Dutch, Turtle Ties

Snake Skins: 2-Piece / 1 piece -- mesh / nylon -- My experience & ?'s of others...

I've got two tarps, both with skins from Simply Light Designs (although my experience would be the same had they come from any other vendor).

1st one I bought was custom built by Jared for me a few years ago.... is a two piece of light weight ripstop, similar to a light weight tarp / stuff sack material.
    2nd one I bought was a single piece mesh just a few months ago.

I "thought" I'd like, that I'd try what others were saying was 'easier' -- a single piece skin. And, went with mesh under the notion of letting out more moisture while travelling.

My only problem is that the single skin, all bunched up on one end is very tight to get it past the tarp. I've got Stingrz attached to the tarp end and the skin's keeper loop attached at the Stingerz. This results in the full length of the stiffer mesh being a big ball in a short space at the tarp end.

I don't have the same problem w/ the light weight two-piece skins... they compress well, store easily outside the tarp ends.

I have Dutch biner's on my tarp with the 2-piece skins between the Stingerz and the tarp. THis provides a little more room. I didn't put the same biners on my tarp w/ the single-piece skin. That would provide a little more room for the 1-piece mesh skin.

So, I'm thinking of going back to the 2-piece skins as I never had a problem w/ them...

Those of you using single piece mesh skins.. what is your practice / experience.

I should attach a photo of what I'm talking about, but haven't snapped one with it installed.

Here's an image of the skin... the small loop at the narrow end, I have attached to the Stingerz to keep the skin in place and so I can still adjust the Stingerz.
    Skin 1.jpg

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I use the HG mesh sleeve. I never had an issue with the bunching up at the open end. However on the skinny end the tarp keeps popping through.

2019-09-26_10-57-32_285 - Copy.jpg

Images
    To avoid having the 1-piece all bunched up like that, you can invert it a bit (like turning a sock inside out) and have the sleeve material run up the stinger line, away from the tarp.

I understand the bunching you're talking about, but I don't quite understand how it's a problem. Since the sleeve is tapered, it sort of "concertinas" on itself as you bunch it.

I have a 12' 1-piece mesh from HG and a wide 11' 1-piece mesh from SLD (best fit for a HG DCF Palace). Ironically, I'm not a huge fan of them and don't personally find a lot of advantage in using them. But that's another thread...

Hammock
    Chameleon, Netless
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, WB ThFly
    Insulation
    UGQ , HG, WB
    Suspension
    Dutch, Turtle Ties
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    I use the HG mesh sleeve. I never had an issue with the bunching up at the open end. However on the skinny end the tarp keeps popping through.

2019-09-26_10-57-32_285 - Copy.jpg
    The little loop on the small end of the SLD design solves this problem.. I keep it locked to the end of the tarp and the tarp cannot then slip out of or away from the end of the skin.
    But... it also creates a bunching point when retracting the skins.

Hammock
    Chameleon, Netless
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, WB ThFly
    Insulation
    UGQ , HG, WB
    Suspension
    Dutch, Turtle Ties
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    To avoid having the 1-piece all bunched up like that, you can invert it a bit (like turning a sock inside out) and have the sleeve material run up the stinger line, away from the tarp.

I understand the bunching you're talking about, but I don't quite understand how it's a problem. Since the sleeve is tapered, it sort of "concertinas" on itself as you bunch it.

I have a 12' 1-piece mesh from HG and a wide 11' 1-piece mesh from SLD (best fit for a HG DCF Palace). Ironically, I'm not a huge fan of them and don't personally find a lot of advantage in using them. But that's another thread...
    I understand what you are saying... and I'm making it work... just don't find it as convenient for me as the 2 piece... part of it is the less 'bunchable' material of the mesh vs the thin ripstop.

For now, I think I'm going to add a small dutch ridgeline biner between the tarp the the Stingerz to give me a little more room.
    I'm trying NOT to run the sleeve back up the Stingerz line, so can still adjust the tarp.
    I do bunch up the tapered sleeze inside itself as best I can and pull some of the widest end over top itself to invert it and create as small a package as possible.
    It may also help as the sleeve is used more and becomes more flexible.

As for your last comment.. I agree skins are in an area of HYOH... for me.. I like them... String the tarp in the skin, the remove and stake the tarp.. clean / convenient. Also makes taking the tarp w/ you at the end of camp clean / simple.. I can see how some may skip them... I do like them.. YMMV / HYOH !!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Us5Camp View Post
    As for your last comment.. I agree skins are in an area of HYOH... for me.. I like them... String the tarp in the skin, the remove and stake the tarp.. clean / convenient. Also makes taking the tarp w/ you at the end of camp clean / simple.. I can see how some may skip them... I do like them.. YMMV / HYOH !!
    For sure. I don't begrudge anyone the use of their tarp sleeves, and I'm not about to soapbox about it. There are innumerable different ways to do things. Some folks have found their preference and stick to it; others have tried it all and like to switch things up (either situationally or as the mood strikes); others are still in the process of finding what works best for them. It's all good.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Yep skin your own skin and such

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Us5Camp View Post
    I'm trying NOT to run the sleeve back up the Stingerz line, so can still adjust the tarp.
    I do bunch up the tapered sleeze inside itself as best I can and pull some of the widest end over top itself to invert it and create as small a package as possible.
    It may also help as the sleeve is used more and becomes more flexible.
    One other possibility that comes to mind for the 1-piece (I'm not suggesting it's the most convenient):

You could deploy the tarp, scrunch the sleeve, detach the sleeve's keeper loop from your stinger, slide the sleeve up the stinger line away from the tarp without inverting it, and then cinch down the cordlock at the big end of the sleeve to lock it in place somewhere farther up the stinger line. This would keep the stinger itself exposed to allow you to make adjustments to the tarp.

Just a thought.

If you give up on the 1-piece, it shouldn't be too hard to sell on the forum and wouldn't cost much to ship out.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I use the HG single-piece skin with my 12' Dyneema tarp w/doors. It does get a little more difficult to slide the skin over the tarp towards the thicker end, but I've never considered it to be an issue or a problem. I've found a technique that makes it slide pretty easily. As for storage, I just roll from the thicker end toward the skinny end, and then wrap my RL cordage around the bundle. It stays nice and tight, and packs down very small. I use the same technique with my silpoly tarp as well. I've never had any issues with bunching with the silpoly.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    I use the HG single-piece skin with my 12' Dyneema tarp w/doors. It does get a little more difficult to slide the skin over the tarp towards the thicker end, but I've never considered it to be an issue or a problem. I've found a technique that makes it slide pretty easily. As for storage, I just roll from the thicker end toward the skinny end, and then wrap my RL cordage around the bundle. It stays nice and tight, and packs down very small. I use the same technique with my silpoly tarp as well. I've never had any issues with bunching with the silpoly.
    I was looking at picking up another HG sleeve, when I scrolled to the bottom they had this:

*Please note that if you are using this sleeve with a Dyneema tarp, you must roll the panels from the bottom towards the ridgeline before stowing inside the sleeve. Once rolled into the sleeve, continue to roll into a tight ball before stowing in stuff sack. This method prevents damaging the unique material, adding longevity to your Dyneema Tarp.
    I guess they want you to roll up from the bottom edge to the ridgeline, then deploy the sleeve. That should leave the whole length the same thickness.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast