Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    As far as I know- Tim sources his fabric directly from the mill. I recall several posts/discussions from him regarding failed attempts to secure these materials.
    JB, I would not be surprised if that's the case. EE's 10D and 20D fabrics also seem to come in several colors that aren't familiar through DWG or RSBTR. Warbonnet is another example of a bigger vendor still bordering on the cottage industry, serving hammock users and ground dwellers alike - and they too seem to have fabrics that aren't offered through these 2 main retail fabric suppliers. Until relatively recently, WB had a pretty limited color selection, so I'd be shocked if Brandon wasn't getting that in bulk straight from the mill.

For next year, I sort of have my eye on a 40° Revelation or Enigma and the 7D is tempting but I'd probably go with the 10D because the ounce saved isn't important to me. For a TQ, I do like the softer feel of the lower denier fabrics and that is more of a factor on a quilt to be used in warm weather, since I wouldn't be wearing long sleeved/legged base layers.

Quote Originally Posted by erric View Post
    I'm with you Bill, my new UGQ has M10 inside and out.
    My first TQ was a 20° Bandit with M10 for both shells, and it's still probably my favorite.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I havent had a chance to read the entire post, I will... Glad I could help you, and really happy you like the hammock.
    A quick note on Monolite... I was one of the early adopters of Monolite for hammock use. It is/was a very comfortable fabric that somewhat defied logic. It has very little stretch for a 1.0 fabric and being able to see through it is really neat. My completed DIY UL Hammock in 1.0 Monolite came in at 8 oz on the button, with Dynaglide continuous loops, Lashit structural ridge line, #3 coil zippers half way down the sides to accommodate a removable Half Wit style bug net and a DCF stuff sack. Pretty appealing for the UL'r.
    I used it for about twenty nights as my go to and carried on the Laurel Highlands Trails...
    Last weekend I sat it in, quite easily I might add, and it ripped straight across the body of the hammock, side to side. Catastrophic failure. I am under 200lbs and absolutely baby my gear.. nothing in my pockets, I didn't bounce it... it just failed.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    That's a very good rundown of current go-light options.

No offense to anyone but per MikekiM comments, and as a witness to the event, I would scratch Monolite off the list.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hummingbird Hammocks offers a sub-6 oz hammock.

Hammock
    Darien
    Tarp
    HG Hex
    Insulation
    HG and CRO
    Suspension
    Kevlar-Lapp Hitch
    Really great info! Thanks for taking the time to summarize and provide guidance on going lighter. Found your post looking for information on 1.3 Mtn XL and Darien style hammocks. You probably know this but TrailHeadz Hammocks are producing a variety of UL options (Monolite, 1.0 Hyper D and 1.3 Mtn).
    "Walking is man's best medicine." - Hippocrates

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, Astd. Dutch
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex, TF
    Insulation
    HG,WLSS,JrB,UGQ,LL
    Suspension
    LW straps/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    That's a very good rundown of current go-light options.

No offense to anyone but per MikekiM comments, and as a witness to the event, I would scratch Monolite off the list.
    Is Monolite the same as the 1.0 Hammocks that Dutch sells? I have a friend who had a catastrophic failure in a Dutch 1.0 after many, many nights of use even though he was well under the weight limit. I have a 1.0 and that is always in the back of my mind every time I lay down in it!

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Clisbyclark View Post
    Is Monolite the same as the 1.0 Hammocks that Dutch sells? I have a friend who had a catastrophic failure in a Dutch 1.0 after many, many nights of use even though he was well under the weight limit. I have a 1.0 and that is always in the back of my mind every time I lay down in it!
    Pretty sure Dutch's are all Hexon... I have 2 of 'em, Chameleon and Half-wit. But I could be wrong because his line of hammocks and fabric options is now so expansive that I can't keep up. It's like Tom Clancy books... back in the day I used to say that he could write 'em faster than I could read 'em!

I have read of failures of Hexon 1.0, but most are after a lot of use. I had the same thought recently when Monolite was discussed elsewhere and found this thread on the topic. My Chameleon has only about 15 nights of use... I bought it while awaiting delivery of my Darien, which at that time was about 6 weeks or so... and the Half-wit has about 40, with zero problems with either. I used the Chameleon just this past Saturday night. I'm always easy on gear, but I do treat those with bit more TLC.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Great write-up! Even if fabrics are equal, I think it's worth noting that the Trail Lair will always be heavier than the Darien due to having a zipper on both sides of the hammock- whereas the Darien only has a zipper on one side, which is why it's so lightweight.

That's not to take anything away from the Trail Lair. They are just two different hammocks for different purposes.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    LL UQ, WB Diamond
    Suspension
    Whoopie or BH
    Thank you for the article and good material. Now I'm considering a partial length UQ as a means to save weight & volume.

Sent from my BLA-A09 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Westie View Post
    Hummingbird Hammocks offers a sub-6 oz hammock.
    "I would strongly advise to not be tempted by sub 10ft hammocks....."

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast