Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Hammock
    DIY 12' MTN 1.3 netless
    Suspension
    Turtle Ties
    Yikes! You're the first I've heard about the Amsteel breaking. Glad you're ok.

I've been using Turtle Ties exclusively since their inception and I do have quite a bit of wear on the Amsteel but nothing broken yet. I've intentionally been using the same Amsteel almost the entire time.

Like you I've had a few times when I've forgotten to lock it off and been "lowered to the ground" so to speak. It does eat up the Amsteel when that happens, but I'm still using it. You've got me thinking about what other factors may have contributed to breaking the rope.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    Inventor of Turtle Ties
    Founder of Fugal Innovations, LLC
    fugal-innovations.com

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Operator, Habanero
    Suspension
    Turtles, Whoopies
    Good to know about the Amsteel wear and potential for failure if not locking in completely. I have been using them for a few weeks now and I have found myself always using the flipper lock before settling in for the night. I'll typically do the behind the head lock until I get my hang dialed and then flipper lock for the rest of the night. It takes very little time, adds some additional safety and reduces wear on the Amsteel. It's an easy decision for me to take 15 secs more to really lock it down.

Hammock
    MYOG Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps & Turtles
    Images
    I've had the semi slow drop as well with the Turtles, and it's always been the result of not using them correctly. IMO if one watches the video - and follows it - you won't have issues. And any issues experienced when not used correctly, me personally, I can't blame on the manufacturer if it's my fault for not doubling down on safely using it.

When metal meets Amsteel you will always have wear, even with Dutch's tchotchkes which can at times have less than smooth edges (I use a couple Dutchware things myself too). Swapping out one piece of hardware for the other without checking the safest way to use it is asking for mishaps. Maybe it's just me...no offense. :shrug:

Quote Originally Posted by fugalster View Post
    Yikes! You're the first I've heard about the Amsteel breaking. Glad you're ok.

I've been using Turtle Ties exclusively since their inception and I do have quite a bit of wear on the Amsteel but nothing broken yet. I've intentionally been using the same Amsteel almost the entire time.

Like you I've had a few times when I've forgotten to lock it off and been "lowered to the ground" so to speak. It does eat up the Amsteel when that happens, but I'm still using it. You've got me thinking about what other factors may have contributed to breaking the rope.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    If 7/64" Amsteel is a concern at all, I'm wondering if 2.8mm Spyder Line might be a better choice(?)

I noticed that Turtle Ties have been out of stock for some time. Has anyone had issues with their use other than the relatively minor concerns expressed in earlier posts?

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps
    I switched to a different suspension set-up, but I used Turtle Ties extensively for a year and had no issues with them. As long as I “locked” the amsteel behind the head and standing end or using a flipper lock, they never slipped on me. And I noticed very little wear on the amsteel leads.

Has anybody heard from fugalster? I ordered some turtle ties a few days ago, haven't been able to get ahold of anybody and now the website appears to be down.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
    Has anybody heard from fugalster? I ordered some turtle ties a few days ago, haven't been able to get ahold of anybody and now the website appears to be down.
    I hope it's not true, but, from all appearances, Fugal Innovations could be history.

Hammock
    Self made 11 1.7 MTN
    Tarp
    Self made 11 20D
    Insulation
    SLD Trailwinder
    Suspension
    straps, evo loops
    Oh, I hope not! I really like these little turtles! @fugalster, are you alive?

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789