Ridge Outdoor Gear 11'
    Tarp
    Adventuridge 12'
    Insulation
    Chill Gorilla UQ
    Suspension
    Daisy Chains

Staying dry?

Just wondering what y’all do to prevent your tarps from sagging in the middle of the night? I’m going camping this weekend and were expecting a fair amount of rain. Also, how do you keep stuff from being blown out of your hammock and getting wet while you’re not with it?
    If it helps, I have a silnylon 12’ hex tarp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Unknowing outdoorsman; 09-25-2019 at 06:07.
    “In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.”
    -John Muir

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    What is a Paros?

It looks like you're buying your hammock equipment off of Amazon. You're not going to find much info on HF about the stuff you're using. The only name I even recognize is Chill Gorilla, and that's the cheapest stuff you can find on Amazon. Not many reviews and very few HF members buy that stuff. I didn't even know Chill Gorilla made an underquilt, but it looks like the only one they make is a 40* synthetic that weighs 2.9 pounds!
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 09-25-2019 at 00:51.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WB--Dutch-Clark-Amok
    Tarp
    WB-CC-UGQ-Amok
    Insulation
    Down and Synthetic
    Suspension
    CL/Becket~LA/ 7/64
    I'm with SilvrSurfr, what's a Paros?
    To keep things in your hammock, get one with a bug net. You could also use a type of cord: Zing-it, Paracord etc, wrap the hammock into a cylinder and tie it off with the cordage. Think burrito, use three lines at thirds along the length.
    Livin’ Large ~ Horizontally

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Hope its not short for Paracord.
    Signature suspended

Paros-al (parasol)... as in rainfly? That's as far of a leap as I can make of it. I'm so far from what could even be loosely described as "experienced", but just from what I've read, I think that sagging largely depends on the type, thickness and strength of the material your gear is made out of as well as any weather/rain/moisture resistant treatments that may or may not be applied.

If you "are" talking about your tarp/rainfly then using a continuous ridge line might help. For more learned advice though, you might rephrase your question with more detail to clarify what it is exactly that your asking.

As far as keeping your gear in your hammock while un-occupied, lowering your tarp to keep wind out might help. As mentioned... using a hammock with a bug net... or just weighing down your hammock/gear by laying something with some weight to it (like your pack, rock, etc.) on top of your lighter gear inside might at least make it more difficult for the wind to flip your hammock.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear 11'
    Tarp
    Adventuridge 12'
    Insulation
    Chill Gorilla UQ
    Suspension
    Daisy Chains

Staying dry?

To all the people wondering what a Paros is: sorry for that. I meant tarp but my phone decided to autocorrect to that. It has now been corrected

Last edited by Unknowing outdoorsman; 09-25-2019 at 06:12.
    “In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.”
    -John Muir

Hammock
    DIY 12ft HyperD 1.6SL
    Tarp
    The Stingray DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRWhoopieCinch
    Don't use cord that will stretch, such as paracord. Make sure you have the ability to tighten your ridgeline and ground pullouts as the tarp stretches. Use a friction hitch of some type or some cord adjusters on your tieouts and after a tightening you should be good.

Things shouldn't just be flying out of your hammock. Usually when you get in or out, you may have to check contents, but if wind is blowing stuff out of your hammock, you either don't have your tarp pitched correctly, or you are camping during a hurricane.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknowing outdoorsman View Post
    Just wondering what y’all do to prevent your tarps from sagging in the middle of the night? I’m going camping this weekend and were expecting a fair amount of rain. Also, how do you keep stuff from being blown out of your hammock and getting wet while you’re not with it?

Tarp tensioners will help with sag......https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...arp-Tensioners
    I have never had anything blow out of my hammock so don't worry too much.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    9' Noah
    Insulation
    Primaloft Gold
    Suspension
    Webbing N Cinchbuc
    Images
    I like to have a tube to enclose my hammock setup when I am not with it. I think they call it a Lazy Slug, but it is just like a snake skin used for your tarp, but big enough for your whole hammock system. I made mine out of a stretchy material so I can use it for several sizes of hammocks/quilts. Once at HANGCON we had an afternoon big blow with pouring rain and several people had things blown around and wet so it is not impossible to have that happen.
    The essential part of me can not be discussed here. Ask me in person.

Hammock
    Chameleon, Netless
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, WB ThFly
    Insulation
    UGQ , HG, WB
    Suspension
    Dutch, Turtle Ties
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknowing outdoorsman View Post

A few thoughts / experiences:
    1) Tarp Tensioners Shug posted a link to help
    2) Tarp Coverage -- I've never been able to stay dry in swirling winds with just a hex tarp (no doors)... So, I love my UGQ Winter Dream w/ Internal Pole Mods and my Warbonnet Thunderfly with External Poles (I likes me some internal room at 6'3" !!!) Both have the ability to close off the ends. Warbonnet MiniFly is also an option, just not one I've tried. For me .. MiniFly is the least I'd camp w/ in rain. SuperFly is another great option, as is any of the tarps w/ doors from SLD, others. (Pole mods not necessary to keep dry.. just more internal room.
    2.5) - part of Tarp Coverage is pitch height, location relative to wind (if you have a choice)... doors or winglets on the end help protect you even if you have no choice on hang vs wind directions... and ... often winds swirl rain
    3) UQ Protectors, help w/ any moisture that may still swirl around or even prolonged wet damp periods... I've found they help keep the UQ dry, less moisture ridden. Mine is from 2QZQ
    4) I like my Simply Light Designs - Catch All Sack... It can swallow up your entire hammnock / quilt setup. I bought mine to use when Not in Camp as you ask.. keeps it up off the ground, away from moisture and critters.

I've never had any problem w/ things blowing out of the hammock while away from camp (whether using a UQ-Protector or Catch-All Sack -- most of the time use nothing, unless storms are present, then the most important is securing down the tarp to withstand the wind (which also protects your hammock setup).

There's a few options.. hope that helps!

5f277845cebdceaf204bf57af1a959f7_720x.jpg
    Last edited by Us5Camp; 09-25-2019 at 12:45.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast