Underquilt Layering

I'm trying to plan bottom insulation for year round use. For reference, I'm 6', c. 160 lbs, cold foot sleeper, experienced outdoors but new to hammock camping. I have ordered a full length UQ from Wilderness Logics (78", +1 oz for 13 oz total 900 fp down) that they rate to 20*. I don't know yet how I sleep in a hammock compared to on the ground, but I figure that will get me through spring and fall in Kentucky.

I'm planning to make a summer UQ from half of a Costco down throw (so, like 60x35 for an approximate rating of about 50*), do UQ temp ratings stack at about the same rate as overquilt or sleeping bag ratings do? Aka by my math, a 20* quilt and a c. 50* quilt should be about right for 0*, as long as I get something extra down by my feet--although my TQ is closed footbox so that'll help some, but still want a footpad I guess. Got a ton of various closed cell foams lying around that I can experiment with for that.

Does this all sound right? I'd rather go modular to cover four seasons camping instead of dropping the money on a 0* quilt that I'd get much less use out of.

Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    That sounds reasonable to me as long as you have that CCF in the footbox. Since your Costco Quilt is a half, did you plan on doubling it (2 halves)? If so, that would make it closer to a 30. Also, if it is only a half then that means some of your 20 degree quilt will not be rated at a zero because only 35 inches of it has extra insulation.
    Get lost in the woods and find yourself again. A vacation,to me, is working with your hands and surviving because of the fruits of your labor. In the business world I teach;in the natural world I learn.

Haha sorry should have specified. I'm planning to use it long ways not short ways. I'm pretty narrow, 35" wide should be plenty for me so it'll be more like 60" long but yeah going to need something more in the footbox for sure

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yes...stacking works. Here is my friend Timmy in my rig. We have a full length JRB Hudson River 20º and my gray homemade partial length Frankenquilt 20º oner that. Put your parka over the footend and all is warm and god. This trip was below 0º and he was good and warm.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Sorry for the bump of an old thread but I'm essentially asking the same thing; what would 2 x 20deg UQs add up to? Or say, 1 x 40 and 1 x 20? I know it's probably not an exact site but I wanted to try and get a sense of total rating before ordering.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanjwuk View Post
    Sorry for the bump of an old thread but I'm essentially asking the same thing; what would 2 x 20deg UQs add up to? Or say, 1 x 40 and 1 x 20? I know it's probably not an exact site but I wanted to try and get a sense of total rating before ordering.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
    This may give some insight to your query.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

@Shug @FLTurtle thanks

• + New Posts