Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle

UQ with an integrated Vapor Barrier Liner?

A thought just crossed my mind. Might it be a worthwhile idea to build an underquilt with the inner shell that functions as a vapor barrier? I’m just brainstorming.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    If you don't mind condensation . . . .
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Nice thinking outside the box, the main concern I would have is that you really aren’t sealing up the vapor around your body. That and with the VB under your hammock, there is a good chance you could end up with condensation on your hammock itself.

I could be wrong, waiting to see what others say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    If you're wanting to add a vapor barrier, the closer to your skin without layers in the way would be better. Anything between your skin and vapor barrier has a chance of catching all the H2O vapor that can condense off of you.

In the past others have tried similar and the UQ doesn't seem to play well with moisture. On the outside layer of the quilt, the vapor is trapped in the insulation. On the inside layer of the quilt, the hammock or clothes seem to get wet.

Seems the UQ protectors work the best with any condensation landing on that fabric, outside of the UQ(if not tight up against the UQ)
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    I was figuring the hammock fabric would act as a wicking layer to keep it from being extremely clammy.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyRandy View Post
    A thought just crossed my mind. Might it be a worthwhile idea to build an underquilt with the inner shell that functions as a vapor barrier? I’m just brainstorming.
    For the few of us who like VBs it would be. Although in my case, I lean towards VB clothing, and if using such there would be no additional benefit. WB's original Yetis cam with some sort of sil-nylon sack that completely surrounded the UQ(I think), and later had a snap in inner layer VB. But this were removable, extra weight options. Must not have been popular, I don't think I have seen them offered for years. But I would love to have one for my original model Climashield Yeti.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyRandy View Post
    I was figuring the hammock fabric would act as a wicking layer to keep it from being extremely clammy.
    There are maybe a dozen or 1/2 dozen of us here that have used the original models of the HH Super Shelter with no issues, and finding it to be about as warm as most other full length 18-21 oz systems. Plus wind proof and highly water resistant, allowing a smaller tarp if desired. However, the system virtually requires a space blanket/VB immediately under the hammock, between the hammock and all insulation. Not only is it noticeably warmer when using this space blanket, I find that not using it almost guarantees - not always but not uncommon- a ton of condensation. And condensation is the most common complaint with this HHSS.

But wait, you ask: did I just say "NOT using( a VB ) almost guarantees ... a ton of condensation?". Yes, exactly. Because the HHSS has two VBs, the inside space blanket(kept warm by the body) and the outside- and very cold- sil nylon under cover. As I'm sure you know, condensation normally occurs on cold surfaces and not so much on warm surfaces. That outside sil-nylon under cover is always maximally cold, and any body vapor that makes it through the insulation is going to condense on that surface(I have had it happen!).

But using the space blanket/VB, my worst case situation has been a few drops of moisture collected in the low point of the space blanket, and none in the sil-nylon under cover. I would expect an UQ with a VB inner shell to work pretty much like that space blanket. Which I have also used inside my down Pea Pod with never a hint of condensation.

Now I am just speaking for me, and maybe that other small bunch of folks who have used the HHSS successfully(some have hated it). I'm sure some folks could manage to have some condensation with this system. In fact I'm sure that the ones who hate the very idea of the space blanket and refuse to us it, then get rewarded with lots of condensation as expected. But maybe some others who did use the system correctly as well get condenstion. I don't know which group you might be in. But, it might be worth some experimenting. If you don't have issues of condensation or sweat at the skin level making you uncomfortable, you are almost guaranteed to keep your UQ drier and loftier. Or even if you do get some condensation or sweat on top of the VB, you are still almost guaranteed to keep your UQ drier, since it can not get into your UQ. Well, at least, I am virtually guaranteed to have such results. I can't speak for you or others, of course. Only you can put it to the test!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 09-23-2019 at 20:18.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    I have VB in all my DIY items.
    No condensation. Period.
    Of course the temperatures are almost always below 32 deg.
    Big Agnes insulated air core, Klymit insulated, DIY down UQ, or TQ with insultex, no condensation.
    Some condensation caused by breathing, yes. But manageable.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado SL
    Tarp
    HG DCF std camo
    Insulation
    WB DB + Wooki 20*
    Suspension
    Dyneema + Becket
    HandyRandy check your PM's please.

Images
    Hi Randy. Just got back from a trip where I tested this concept. I brought an “underquilt protector” made from a sheet of 0.7 mil painters plastic and put this over the underquilt.

For my test it was breezy, 40F, and rained for several hours. While in the hammock, I felt warmer than usual with the quilt I brought, so it was doing a good job of blocking the wind. However, the quilt was soaked from condensation in just 2 hours. I had to take off the plastic and endure the rest of the evening in a soggy quilt.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast