DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Don't worry, you won't need a bear canister. A decent hang will suffice.

There is only one problem bear area in Harriman, at Fingerboard shelter. I actually saw that bear last year. However, I hiked by that shelter recently and they have put up a bear cable for food hangs, so no need to worry about humping the extra weight.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    I would never purposely discourage a bear canister but.....I don't think you need it. I was up there two weekends ago and saw three deer. I don't think there's a bear "problem" unless you're at one of the big public sites that would attract habituated critters. I hung my food using the PCT method and it was unmolested. My guess is that many people sleep with their food, which I don't recommend. I wouldn't worry about not having a canister.

And regarding canisters, have a look at Andrew Skurka's blog where he argues in favor of an Ursak (not bag hanging) in areas where bears are not 'problematic." I haven't quite gotten there yet but I don't think I'd buy a canister just for Harriman.

edit: Ahh someone beat me to it!!

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Chipmunks are a bigger problem than bears... I call 'em nanobears.

They can chew a hole thru a pack in no time flat!
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    hummingbird single+
    Tarp
    zpacks 7x9
    Insulation
    HG econ 30º
    Suspension
    out-of-school
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Chipmunks are a bigger problem than bears... I call 'em nanobears.
    Interesting. I noticed on my first backpacking trip that a lot of people hang their packs from a string near their hammock. I don't think this would stop squirrels, but maybe chipmunks? Or maybe it's just so ground dirt/moisture doesn't get on their pack overnight?

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Yep definitely helps with chipmunks. I've never seen a squirrel near a pack in Harriman, but maybe some have observed it.

I usually hang the pack off my hammock CL... piece of cord with a clove hitch. Sometimes hang it off a tree when first setting up camp. Chippies can climb up trees a short distance so that is a temporary thing while making camp.

Hammock
    hummingbird single+
    Tarp
    zpacks 7x9
    Insulation
    HG econ 30º
    Suspension
    out-of-school
    @cmoulder Ah! Great advice. This noob definitely appreciates it! Now i need to start warming up for a 22-mile weekend.

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Were you, OP, at the Big Hill Shelter last night (saturday)?

There was a man there with a hammock....I don't think I've ever seen anyone up there hanging....but didn't remember this thread until the morning. If that was you, I apologize for not approaching to say "hello." It was my first time in the wild with a hammock and I was really focused on finding the right spot and getting set up before dark. I hope you had an enjoyable hike.

Hammock
    hummingbird single+
    Tarp
    zpacks 7x9
    Insulation
    HG econ 30º
    Suspension
    out-of-school
    @bobonli Yes, that was me! Only my second backpacking trip and first time solo.

Hammock
    hummingbird single+
    Tarp
    zpacks 7x9
    Insulation
    HG econ 30º
    Suspension
    out-of-school
    So let me preface this by stating: I've never solo-backpacked before, but i have solo hiked and road-tripped a lot.

Wow, what a hike. S-BM pushed me to my physical and mental limits. I was not expecting straight-up mountain climbing. I know, technically the Pyngyp climb probably isn't considered climbing by the hardcores, but my view is that if you have to use all four of your limbs in synchronized movement and if you make a mistake, you die…that's mountain climbing.

Anyway, beyond Pyngyp, the sheer amount of boulder hiking was hard on my poor feet and knees. The blisters on the balls of my feet from all those rocks are epic.

In the end, i made it through the entire trail (and then some). I can't say it was an excellent trip, but it was a life experience that i will look back on as a unique memory. S-BM was my first solo backpacking experience and it was a doozy.

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Good for you! That's quite an accomplishment as a first time backpacking trip. I love the park, but there's only so much of the rocks and boulders stuff I can tolerate, so I've never hiked the trails end-to-end. I always daydream about what it must be like to hike long miles on just plain dirt trails!!!

I used the old roads ("Old Turnpike" and un-named service road on the Gaia Maps) to get up and back to the shelter. My hope was that they'd be good for a bikepacking trip, but there'd be a lot of pushing through very rocky sections as you get closer to the shelter. The trip to the fire tower wouldn't be bad.

How was your hammocking experience?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast