1/8" shock cord loop on silnylon tarp questions: how long for each loop and a few more :)

So I think I'd like to tie some simple loops on the tie outs for my tarp but even after doing a bunch of google searches I could not find:

1) What is a good length of the loop to put on each of the tarp tie outs? I read somewhere that the people who create a single cord use about 12", so would that be a good start?

2) I can understand the appeal on the corners, but should I also have the loops on my two tie outs that would tie to each tree (on either end of the hammock)? I do not have a continuous ridge line but rather 1.5mm dyneema line.

If it matters, each guyline is 10' 1.5mm dyneema line (including the lines that run to the tree, honestly not sure what this is called on a non continuous ridge line setup).

3) Would a simple square knot suffice for keeping the loop held or do I need something more fancy?
    Last edited by arooni; 09-22-2019 at 21:44.

Hammock
    WB--Dutch-Clark-Amok
    Tarp
    WB-CC-UGQ-Amok
    Insulation
    Down and Synthetic
    Suspension
    CL/Becket~LA/ 7/64
    I use 6" 1/8" loops.
    Do not use shock cord on the Ridgeline!
    Livin’ Large ~ Horizontally

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I start with 12" and tie a double fisherman's knot, then cut off the tag ends (usually a couple inches each).

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WB--Dutch-Clark-Amok
    Tarp
    WB-CC-UGQ-Amok
    Insulation
    Down and Synthetic
    Suspension
    CL/Becket~LA/ 7/64
    ^ yes to that, do not use a square knot as they don't hold in shock cord.
    Livin’ Large ~ Horizontally

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC/Eldorado
    Tarp
    HG dyneema
    Insulation
    Diamondback,wookie
    Suspension
    Spider/Beetle
    Images
    Shug has many instructional videos that you may be interested in if you haven't seen them already. This one has some info on tarp tensioners. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GQPY5BuyPI&t=547s

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    +1 on NOT using shock cord on the ridge line. It's my understanding that dyneema and other slimilar cord are not designed for knots. If I were going to use it, I'd put an eye splce at each end. Maybe make a mini-whoopie sling. For guy lines, I use reflective cord; specifically Nite-ese. If I had it to do again, I would choose another brand because the reflective component of that line makes it "not smooth" - so knots like a taut line hitch don't slide as well and a prussic doesn't cinch up easily. It doesn't mean they don't work; it's just a little harder than it needs to be.

I took some bungee (about 9 inches) - I think 8th inch - and stretch it out. Then I estimated about 80% of its max stretched length. I added the bungee to the tarp side of my guy line and reconnected the guy line to it so it can only stretch to that 80% length, then the guy line holds all the stress. I put the bungee/guy lines at the panel ends. If I have additional tie outs on the tarp - like one in the middle (three on a side), I'll put a bungee guy line there if I have extra.

I've seen a lot of fancy ways to make these. One of the cleanest put the bungee inside an amsteel cord. But that looked like a lot of work and it seemed needed 7/64th instead of smaller stuff.

I did research knots specifically for bungee. Initially I was just going to make a loop and larch's head the bungee loop and a guy line loop in the tarp D-ring. I ended up tying the bungee to the guy line loop and just lark's heading that to the D-ring. I don't recall the name of the knot but it was like an overhand knot except with to wraps instead of one.

There are all kinds of knots that will hold under tension. With bungee, the trick is having it stay tied when not under tension.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 09-23-2019 at 13:03.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts