HG WP and Asymm
    Insulation
    HG TQ, UQ; MLD TQ
    Suspension
    I go Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter1 View Post
    Lay direction is based on the feet.
    Perhaps because hammockers use their feet more than they use their heads?
    There are two kinds of people in the world: those who say there are two kinds of people, and all the others.

Hammock
    11' Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Uh bouy . While it might not be agreed among 9 out of 10 SilvrSurfrs, I'm reasonably sure most quilt and hammock manufacturers would say feet right is a right lay. Put it in the hangers dictionary.

The bigger question is do directional baffles do anything? The answer is yes, but is it for everyone - no. When I sew a directional baffle underquilt it changes the shape of the quilt. In a straight baffle quilt you wind up with two tapered ends, but in a directional quilt you wind up with a wider shoulder on one side, with a wider foot on the other. Not quite what I would call a asymmetrical, just a different shape. Will it keep me warm? Yes. Will it keep me warmer? No. It does snug different though, almost like hugging you and is a little more fiddly. One disadvantage is if you decide you are now a different lay or want to change directions for whatever reason it could feel a little off. It will get you through the night but not as it should.

What to do, what to do? My advice is if you are not a dedicated lay, or if you loan our gear, go straight baffle. I used to make all of my own personal quilts right lay, but I find these days I'm not really attached to a piece of gear as I used to be, so I now make my own stuff straight baffle because I could sell it on a whim or loan it out and it keeps the fiddle factor lower.

At the end of the day if you ask me and you sound unsure in any way I would recommend straight baffles.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG WP and Asymm
    Insulation
    HG TQ, UQ; MLD TQ
    Suspension
    I go Dutch
    Images
    I'll take that as authoritative on all points!

Thanks much, George.
    There are two kinds of people in the world: those who say there are two kinds of people, and all the others.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Well, even if you showed me the "few manufacturers" who put it on their sites, I still wouldn't say it has been firmly established as a fact that "lay direction is based on the feet." Now if every manufacturer agreed on a definition of lay direction, that would be a different story. . . .
    I guess the better question would be "Are there any manufacturers that define lay direction as the opposite?" I have not found any. They either specify what "right or left lay" means, or they just say "head left/feet right." I've yet to see a manufacturer define "right lay" as "head-right."

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Well, even if you showed me the "few manufacturers" who put it on their sites, I still wouldn't say it has been firmly established as a fact that "lay direction is based on the feet." Now if every manufacturer agreed on a definition of lay direction, that would be a different story. . . .

Oh its not only established, its law. Written in the hammock hanging law book. Right under subsection 47 where it states.....SilvrSurfr is always wrong. Hes slept with too many squirrels in his day to be trusted on any matter. Just know, hes been saved by the TRACKER!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Pine Barrens Leather

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    Oh its not only established, its law. Written in the hammock hanging law book. Right under subsection 47 where it states.....SilvrSurfr is always wrong. Hes slept with too many squirrels in his day to be trusted on any matter. Just know, hes been saved by the TRACKER!
    He’s not “wrong”, just a chronic contrarian It’s hard to get him to open up his tarp doors, lol.

I bet the reason it’s not in the forum glossary is because the admins don’t want to concede to such a silly terminology. Our last vestige of reason, if you will.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG WP and Asymm
    Insulation
    HG TQ, UQ; MLD TQ
    Suspension
    I go Dutch
    Images
    Woohoo! I pulled the trigger on my first 0-degree under quilt!

Habanero size: 70" - 900 fill power Downtek Goose Down; Extra Length: 8"; Width: 44" Width (industry standard); Lay Direction: Right Lay; Outer Color: Lime Green Argon 90; Inner Color: Burnt Orange Argon 67 Taffeta; Outer Stitching Color: Match Fabric Color; Inner Stitching Color: Match Fabric Color; Head End Draft Collar: Match Inner Fabric Color; Foot End Draft Collar: Match Inner Fabric; Grosgrain Trim Color: Black;

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
    Woohoo! I pulled the trigger on my first 0-degree under quilt!

Habanero size: 70" - 900 fill power Downtek Goose Down; Extra Length: 8"; Width: 44" Width (industry standard); Lay Direction: Right Lay; Outer Color: Lime Green Argon 90; Inner Color: Burnt Orange Argon 67 Taffeta; Outer Stitching Color: Match Fabric Color; Inner Stitching Color: Match Fabric Color; Head End Draft Collar: Match Inner Fabric Color; Foot End Draft Collar: Match Inner Fabric; Grosgrain Trim Color: Black;
    Congratulations and salutations. If you want to see my -10º Mucho Habanaro then check it out in the video below at 12:30 in. May get you even more excited.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12