Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I use the large Neoair Xtherm. I´ve tried both in summer and winter. Works great in my opinion. I like the extra width it gives. Without the mattress i think it feels to cramped, at least for side sleeping. I haven´t tried the regular one, but withe large there´s no problem getting cold from beneath.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pahlbin View Post
    I use the large Neoair Xtherm. I´ve tried both in summer and winter. Works great in my opinion. I like the extra width it gives. Without the mattress i think it feels to cramped, at least for side sleeping. I haven´t tried the regular one, but withe large there´s no problem getting cold from beneath.
    Thanks for the info! What is the lowest temp you have been warm at using that pad? And are you using it in the double layer pad pocket?

Warbonnet Ridgerunner w/ Pad

Sorry for a late answer.
    I have used the Xtherm in my RR in at least -5 Celsius / 23 Fahrenheit. No underquilt. No problem, cosy and warm.
    Mine is a double layer and the Xtherm fits in the pad pocket. There's a margin about at least 5cm on each side.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Noah 12 for now
    Insulation
    Lynx 0, Spindrift
    Suspension
    7/64 Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by questionmike View Post
    For those of you that have tried, do you think using a pad in the Ridgerunner gives it a significantly flatter lay? Thanks.
    Yes. And so much so that the pad is never left behind. But I will also preface with the disclosure that I am not a backpacker. Bulk and weight are a non-issue.

My preference for pure comfort is to use a pad in my double layer RR, along with a Lynx.
    I use a 30" wide by 2.5" Cabela's self inflating type pad. Similar to a Thermarest style.
    The pad is rarely inflated, with the valves left open, simply inserted into the double layer.

With the 30' width, the un-inflated pad completely fills the double layer sleeve. Started out with the pad inflated, but while laying in the hammock, I started slowly trying releasing air from the valve, and realized that the hammock became the most comfortable with no air pressure in the pad. Now I don't bother with air. I just slide it into the sleeve, and it self inflates, and the valves are always left open.

Pad, un-inflated, gives a wider flatter lay that I prefer, but without making me feel elevated.

Pad for me was never about insulation, but was strictly for comfort.
    I know it's not the lightest gear, and it's a lot of stuff, but I use a canoe, so it's a lot like car camping, but without the other cars.

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    I've used full size and 3/4. I've used regular and wide. Thin and thick. They all work. They all make side sleeping in particular less confining. Full inflation gives you more support but depending on how you hang could make it more tippy. If so, adjust your hang. I have Klymit, Thermarest, and Xped. I like the downmat when it starts to get colder. The only downside I've found is a pad can take up more room in your pack than an UQ. One advantage of the pad is you don't have to adjust anything (except maybe the level of inflation).

I wasn't happy with the Klymit because it was a UL that had "holes" in it that are supposed to be filled by your sleeping bag. Without a sleeping bag it was just a bunch of cold pockets.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123