Hammock
    Hammock Tent/SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tarptent/Thunderfl
    Insulation
    EE
    Suspension
    Kevlar/B. Hitch
    Pad for me, preferably one with horizontal tubes like a thermarest or nemo. The pad helps tremendously with the stiff side rails. If you're a side/fetal sleeper, you'll know what I mean. An UQ made me feel like I was sleeping in a ditch.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre / Exped
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by questionmike View Post
    For those of you that have tried, do you think using a pad in the Ridgerunner gives it a significantly flatter lay? Thanks.
    IMO a fully inflated pad makes it flatter side-to-side. I don't know about "significant" but it's definitely noticeable. I've slept in mine with a pad and with a UQ... I think at theend of the day it's more of a personal preference thing.

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I use a thermarest Xtherm max in my double layer ridge runner. It definitely feels "flatter" when inflated properly
    Honor guide me

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris183 View Post
    I use a thermarest Xtherm max in my double layer ridge runner. It definitely feels "flatter" when inflated properly
    What temperature ranges are you finding the X-Therm Max works in? How low can you comfortably go (temperature-wise)?

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    C-burst, T-fly
    Insulation
    Pad,EE,WB,HG,LL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have used a Ridgerunner with a pad many times. Sometimes that is the only insulation for nights down to about 50*, and sometimes with an UQ. I prefer the feel of the pad since it does flatten out the side-to-side lay and makes you feel like you're up just a little higher. Even in warm weather, I prefer the feeling of a slightly inflated pad for that same reason.

Not a Ridgerunner but I’ve used an xtherm in my REI bridge down to freezing and been very snug with a 20F top quilt. I have made an underquilt from one of the Costco Eddie Bauer primaloft quilts to use along with the pad and get me down to lower temps.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre / Exped
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by drsolarmolar View Post
    What temperature ranges are you finding the X-Therm Max works in? How low can you comfortably go (temperature-wise)?
    I'm not the poster you asked, but the XTherm Max has an r-value of 5.7 which ought to get most to down below freezing. I'm a bit of a warm sleeper but my Exped Synmat 7 (r-value of 4.9) has taken me to the low 30s on several nights. Given the r-value to temperature comfort rating is a bit dubious and different for everyone, I personally would take a mat like that one into the 20s but would probably layer it with a UQ or take something warmer if it was going to get into the teens.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AHE UQ / EE TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing / DC
    There's a great thread here on R-values and how they differ in a hammock:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...e-and-R-values

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by drsolarmolar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve66 View Post
    I have used a Ridgerunner with a pad many times. Sometimes that is the only insulation for nights down to about 50*, and sometimes with an UQ. I prefer the feel of the pad since it does flatten out the side-to-side lay and makes you feel like you're up just a little higher. Even in warm weather, I prefer the feeling of a slightly inflated pad for that same reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothwell Voyageur View Post
    Not a Ridgerunner but I’ve used an xtherm in my REI bridge down to freezing and been very snug with a 20F top quilt. I have made an underquilt from one of the Costco Eddie Bauer primaloft quilts to use along with the pad and get me down to lower temps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carcajou View Post
    I'm not the poster you asked, but the XTherm Max has an r-value of 5.7 which ought to get most to down below freezing. I'm a bit of a warm sleeper but my Exped Synmat 7 (r-value of 4.9) has taken me to the low 30s on several nights. Given the r-value to temperature comfort rating is a bit dubious and different for everyone, I personally would take a mat like that one into the 20s but would probably layer it with a UQ or take something warmer if it was going to get into the teens.
    509-T203-KG has reported minus 10F plus some wind chill (no tarp ) with an X-therm(maybe not much over 20 oz?) inside a single layer(no pad pocket) REI bridge, and still had not found his limit.

Ducttape has reported minus 22F with CCF pads(I don't remember the thickness) in a Claytor double layer/pad pocket hammock, and no problems.

Windtech from Ontario has reported OK at minus 40F using an Exped Downmat 9. Which is mind boggling, but that is what he said.

Unfortunately, my only winter expeience with pads- as opposed to UQs and Pea Pods, was 2 light weight pads stacked in a Speer SPE for total R value of 5.2, very toasty a bit below 20F. How much lower I could have gone is hard to say, but for sure lower.

People vary, but you can obviously stay warm at commonly encountered temps with a pad even in a hammock.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 10-01-2019 at 15:35.

Images
    EDIT previous post: I said: "Unfortunately, my only winter expeience with pads- as opposed to UQs and Pea Pods, was 2 light weight pads stacked in a Speer SPE for total R value of 5.2, very toasty a bit below 20F. How much lower I could have gone is hard to say, but for sure lower.".

But if I count the HH Supershelter ~ 5/8" thick compressible open cell foam pad, plus the HH kidney and torso pads(not quite another 5/8" under my kidney/butt area) all under the hammock, plus a WM blue pad under my legs, and wearing VB clothing, I was toasty at 6F.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast