DUTCH CHAMELEON
    Tarp
    DUTCH XENON HEX
    Insulation
    DOWN
    Suspension
    BEETLE BUCKLES

Cost of Going Lighter

I am currently looking for ways to lighten my load. I have a 20F Econ Burrow in regular/wide that comes in around 27-28oz. I can drop probably 5-7oz but will cost me probably $200 by upgrading to a premium topquilt.

I know it's all subjective and depends on what you're willing to carry but I'm asking for opinions. Do you think it's worth $200 to drop 5-7oz?

Thanks for the input.

Hammock
    DUTCH CHAMELEON
    Tarp
    DUTCH XENON HEX
    Insulation
    DOWN
    Suspension
    BEETLE BUCKLES
    I guess I should also say that in addition to the weight issue is also the volume.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tessiea View Post
    Do you think it's worth $200 to drop 5-7oz?
    The answer to that specific question is up to you, but another approach would be to consider your gear as a whole and look for other possible ways to shed 5-7oz (or more) that might have a lower cost per ounce saved. Some of those ways might even be free - i.e. "don't bring that" or "bring this item I already own instead of the heavier item I already own."

If all your other gear is already optimized, then you've probably already spent a fair bit on UL equipment, in which case another $200 might not be such a big deal for the benefit of shaving those last few ounces.

Also consider the money you could recoup by selling the Econ quilt, which would lower the out of pocket expense of the Premium.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    The fact you already have the Econ makes it a hard decision. Maybe...depends on how much $$ you have to spend on new gear.

Starting new, I think it's a good idea to just bite the bullet on the premium then a person would never have to question it later on. That Econ price is attractive, but it would always be a splinter in my brain.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Sure it's only money and you can't take it with you. As a buddy of mine told me the other day - Go as light as you can afford.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Are you trying to get down to a certain base weight, or are you shedding weight to add additional gear? I didn't move to UL gear to bring my weight down...I did it so I could free up space and weight to add more stuff.

Like a camp chair. And flip flops. And a bluetooth speaker. And an iPad. And a 12 pack of beer with a couple of frozen water bottles. In an insulated cooler bag.

Hammock
    DIY 12ft HyperD 1.6SL
    Tarp
    The Stingray DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRWhoopieCinch
    I'm seeing less than three ounces difference between the econ 20 and the premium. If you upgrade to the 950 fill power down, gain an additional ounce.

I'd look for other places to shed weight. The value of the econ series is so good, that the cost per ounce by shedding weight from your insulation doesn't make sense.

Cook kits, stoves, accessories, stakes, clothing etc. Those are places you could really shed some ounces at a better cost.

Hammock
    DUTCH CHAMELEON
    Tarp
    DUTCH XENON HEX
    Insulation
    DOWN
    Suspension
    BEETLE BUCKLES
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabmanhang View Post
    I'm seeing less than three ounces difference between the econ 20 and the premium. If you upgrade to the 950 fill power down, gain an additional ounce.

I'd look for other places to shed weight. The value of the econ series is so good, that the cost per ounce by shedding weight from your insulation doesn't make sense.

Cook kits, stoves, accessories, stakes, clothing etc. Those are places you could really shed some ounces at a better cost.
    My current quilt is wide and I’d be switching the a regular which is a couple ounces also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Also, sewn over zipper foot box is lighter.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    The overriding—and practically universal—issue with going lighter is that we don't really consider it until after we've bought less expensive, heavier stuff and have hiked a lot of miles with a heavy pack. At some point it dawns upon you that a 18 mile day with 4000' of climbing might just be easier with a 15lb pack vs a 35lb pack. As a ULer who knows a fair number of other ULers, I can tell you that we all went through that process... the cost of a UL education!

Whether it's worth it to spend X number of dollars to save X number of grams is something you have to decide for yourself, but I would say it's only worth it if you're planning to apply the same approach to the rest of the items in your pack, and to the pack itself. If you shave 200 grams here and leave 2000 grams of potential savings 'on the table' then the expense will not have been worth it. But if you're approaching it in a systematic manner—honing down your sleep/shelter, clothing, cook, water treatment/containers, dinky stuff (headlamp/FAK/repair etc)—then you can realize gobs of weight reduction.

Some good reading here, with links to more good stuff. And here.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 09-20-2019 at 12:18.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast