DIY 12ft HyperD 1.6SL
    Tarp
    The Stingray DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRWhoopieCinch
    Quote Originally Posted by tessiea View Post
    Just threw together a lighterpack if anyone is interested. I'm sure I am missing some small items but this is where the bulk of my weight lies.

https://lighterpack.com/r/3fyvp5

Might also be worth noting that I am seriously considering an AT thru hike starting February 2020. This is the only reason I am considering any upgrades, otherwise I am completely happy where my pack weight is currently.
    That's a good looking setup. You really have whittled down at all of the other components. It looks like your next leap to super ultralight will involve the insulation. Kudos. I hike around thirty pounds minimum.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by tessiea View Post
    Just threw together a lighterpack if anyone is interested. I'm sure I am missing some small items but this is where the bulk of my weight lies.

https://lighterpack.com/r/3fyvp5

Might also be worth noting that I am seriously considering an AT thru hike starting February 2020. This is the only reason I am considering any upgrades, otherwise I am completely happy where my pack weight is currently.
    I couldn’t help but notice the underquilt at 27 oz. Wouldn’t that be cheaper upgrade than a topquilt? An HG Phoenix could save you 12 oz. add a sitpad for .98 oz. unless you’re married to full length.

Hammock
    DUTCH CHAMELEON
    Tarp
    DUTCH XENON HEX
    Insulation
    DOWN
    Suspension
    BEETLE BUCKLES
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn View Post
    I couldn’t help but notice the underquilt at 27 oz. Wouldn’t that be cheaper upgrade than a topquilt? An HG Phoenix could save you 12 oz. add a sitpad for .98 oz. unless you’re married to full length.
    Definitely not married to full length as I already use a Phoenix in warmer months. Also already carrying a sit pad. Was considering upgrading to a premium partial underquilt and carry a torso length section of Z Lite through the Smokies on the AT in case I have to sleep in a shelter.

Hammock
    DW Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DW Asym DCF
    Insulation
    UGQ/Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Becket
    I understand where you're coming from and I've been looking at every cottage manufacturer trying to figure out which will get me the lightest replacement for my 24oz 800FP UGQ Bandit 20.

It's very close but I don't think it's possible to beat the LL Operator 20. In the size I'm looking for, with 7D fabric, it's around 16oz.

Hammock
    DW Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DW Asym DCF
    Insulation
    UGQ/Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Becket
    Also that's a fantastic baseweight, we're in the same range. Once you lighten up your insulation there won't be much left. You could lose a couple of oz by replacing your knife with sewing scissors or a derma safe razor and your headlamp with a litesmith NU-25 with the shock cord headband but now we're getting into the real nitty gritty toothbrush handle ultralight territory.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by erric View Post
    Also that's a fantastic baseweight, we're in the same range. Once you lighten up your insulation there won't be much left. You could lose a couple of oz by replacing your knife with sewing scissors or a derma safe razor and your headlamp with a litesmith NU-25 with the shock cord headband but now we're getting into the real nitty gritty toothbrush handle ultralight territory.

Love the NU25.. I opted for the head band version and DIY'd the shock cord. The batteries last for a real long time, and it actually has a usable red lamp.

Agree on the knife.. I've gone smaller and smaller. Currently carrying a small Victorinox with a Dutch Hook on it, clipped to a neck lanyard.

Nice Hammock choice!! ;-)
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

I love the UL questions. For me I won’t spend $200 on a savings of only half a pound.....because in reality I could drop more than 20# if I stick to my diet and exercise!!

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by woodscavenger View Post
    I love the UL questions. For me I won’t spend $200 on a savings of only half a pound.....because in reality I could drop more than 20# if I stick to my diet and exercise!!
    This is certainly a popular thing to say, but it’s rarely followed and still not really relevant. Yes, overall you will weigh less, and that’s good, but 50 pounds on your back is still 50 pounds and not 10 or 20. Your shoulders, hips and back aren’t taxed as an ULer.

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn View Post
    This is certainly a popular thing to say, but it’s rarely followed and still not really relevant. Yes, overall you will weigh less, and that’s good, but 50 pounds on your back is still 50 pounds and not 10 or 20. Your shoulders, hips and back aren’t taxed as an ULer.
    So true! I’m big into cycling and I constantly hear “these carbon wheels are xx pounds lighter than your alloy wheels for only $1300 each.” And I always say “ i’ll Just drink less coffee and soda and shed the weight off my frame.” But I never do.

I think the question of weight versus monetary cost really should be framed as : Will the investment bring meaning to your life, will you have a better time because you spent $$ to shave a couple of ounces? If you can’t answer that affirmatively then your money might be spent better elsewhere.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    So true! I’m big into cycling and I constantly hear “these carbon wheels are xx pounds lighter than your alloy wheels for only $1300 each.” And I always say “ i’ll Just drink less coffee and soda and shed the weight off my frame.” But I never do.

I think the question of weight versus monetary cost really should be framed as : Will the investment bring meaning to your life, will you have a better time because you spent $$ to shave a couple of ounces? If you can’t answer that affirmatively then your money might be spent better elsewhere.
    Oh don’t get me started on rotational mass and bikes https://www.wired.com/2016/06/cyclin...-wheels-enemy/

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast