Hammock
    DUTCH CHAMELEON
    Tarp
    DUTCH XENON HEX
    Insulation
    DOWN
    Suspension
    BEETLE BUCKLES
    Right now with the 20F quilt I already own I am sitting at a base weight of about 10.5 lbs which I am pretty happy with so being able to shave half a pound is quite a bit at this point. This drops to just over 9lb once I switch the my summer weight quilts.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tessiea View Post
    Right now with the 20F quilt I already own I am sitting at a base weight of about 10.5 lbs which I am pretty happy with so being able to shave half a pound is quite a bit at this point. This drops to just over 9lb once I switch the my summer weight quilts.
    Well if you want an enabler, I'm your guy!

That's really a very respectable base weight already and maybe it would be best just to get out and do some shorter trips to tweak it. Maybe use Geargrams or Ligherpack if you want an easily share-able gear list. Here is one of mine for late winter.

I try to make my lists as complete and accurate as possible. Sometimes you will find gear lists that are suspiciously lightweight and upon further inspection you find key items missing, or inaccurate weights... example, a tarp using manufacturer's published weight, without ridge/guy lines or possibly other hardware bits.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    With that base weight, I would say $200 for just under 1/2 pound is worth it if:
    - Money is not a factor.
    And/Or
    - you have maximized your pack weight savings in other areas.

Seems that you have lowered your base weight significantly. I would also see where in the additional weight savings could come from. Like minimizing food packaging, water container size/bulk, reducing/removing xtra pack straps, D-rings, tie outs, etc.

To each the decision is obviously very personal in their hiking application and distance/comfort. You're now into the big ticket items to reduce your weight more.

Good luck in achieving your final goal weight. Keep us posted.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    The Big 3 UL backpacking principles: Backpack, Shelter, Sleep system. This is because those 3 essential items are the 3 heaviest items in your kit. Generally you start there. If you can lose a half pound, 8 oz, 227 grams off one of those, and UL is where you want to go, it's a no-brainer.

As mentioned by someone already, packed size is something to consider as well, UL items are smaller. Smaller items require smaller packs which are lighter.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    https://enlightenedequipment.com/enigma-h-e-custom/

If you're going to spring for the upgrade... I'd go with one of these.

You can get a 7d shell upgrade. After that... in 20* the difference between 850 and 950 fills is where the big money for little value starts to play out. 1.2 ounces for $75.
    While you technically do save a little volume... I'm not really sold on that bump up even if money was no object. 850 fill is a pretty good balance of weight/volume/cost and field performance.

Being up in Canada- your money may go further with James at Little shop of hammocks. He will work with Membrane 10 (7d) on his custom work.
    Depending on the exchange rates you may be ahead with him... and quality is as good or better.

Too many folks ignore shell materials. Those add up just as quickly, and affect pack volume just as much as other choices.
    At EE... it's $30 to upgrade to a 7d shell... saving nearly an ounce vs the standard 10d shell.
    Much cheaper than the down upgrade.

I do agree with others... there may be an easier target on your list... but at 10.5lbs most likely you've gone through the basics and you're left with swaps like this.
    All you can really do at that point is just bite them off one at a time. A quilt upgrade is always a satisfying one.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post

You can get a 7d shell upgrade.
    Though E.E. must use some other type of 7D fabric (judging by comparing their colors against the options shown in the link below), I have a Loco Libre TQ made with Membrane 7 from RBTR and really like it.

https://ripstopbytheroll.com/product...12470964518960

Aside from being about the lightest breathable fabric you could imagine, the comfort/feel of this stuff is amazing. No doubt there are probably some compromises with robustness compared to a 15D or 20D, but I just wanted to add how much I like that fabric.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I started to ask 'How downproof are those 7d fabrics?' but then I just googled it:

https://support.enlightenedequipment...ut-our-fabrics

7D - 0.50oz per yard²
    7D micro ripstop nylon is our lightest option yet. For those wanting to cut every gram possible we offer 7D fabric that can be used anywhere our 10D is an option. Benefits include increased breathability and decreased weight. However, this material is slightly less downproof and less durable. Through our own testing process, we’ve seen slight down loss, but no decrease in performance. We’ve been very surprised at how durable this fabric actually is. That being said, please take extra caution with this option and understand you are selecting the lightest available.
    Seems like you might to have baby it, but with most UL gear that seems to be the case.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post

You can get a 7d shell upgrade. After that... in 20* the difference between 850 and 950 fills is where the big money for little value starts to play out. 1.2 ounces for $75.
    While you technically do save a little volume... I'm not really sold on that bump up even if money was no object. 850 fill is a pretty good balance of weight/volume/cost and field performance.

Being up in Canada- your money may go further with James at Little shop of hammocks. He will work with Membrane 10 (7d) on his custom work.
    Depending on the exchange rates you may be ahead with him... and quality is as good or better.

Too many folks ignore shell materials. Those add up just as quickly, and affect pack volume just as much as other choices.
    At EE... it's $30 to upgrade to a 7d shell... saving nearly an ounce vs the standard 10d shell.
    Much cheaper than the down upgrade.

I do agree with others... there may be an easier target on your list... but at 10.5lbs most likely you've gone through the basics and you're left with swaps like this.
    All you can really do at that point is just bite them off one at a time. A quilt upgrade is always a satisfying one.
    My experience as well... volume reduction comes mainly from a lighter shell, not higher fp down. (Within reason... 850 to 950, maybe not 700 to 950. And many think 950 is something of a 'mythical' figure anyway. )

I have an Enigma 7D/950 30deg and it is one of my favorite pieces of gear. I've seen excellent durability with several 10D quilts that are a few years old and although I've got only 20 or so nights on the 7D Enigma it is holding up fine and I don't expect any issues. 15D and especially 20D are really overkill IMO for a reasonably careful user.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    10.5 is a really respectable weight.. That's right where I tend to be (sometimes I break into single digits for BW) and I have all econ quilts. I've toiled with whether or not an 'upgrade' is worth the money and keep coming back to.. no. Every other item I carry has been examined more than once and there is nothing left that I want or need to trim/replace and the cost of saving a few ounces doesn't seem to make sense. What makes more sense to me is loosing the body weight I put back on the past two years.. That costs me nothing and pays far greater dividends then replacing my quilts.

I've NEVER filled any of my packs to capacity, so volume isn't an issue for me.

Having said all that, I am a gear junky... At some point, I'll cave in on the quilts.

Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DUTCH CHAMELEON
    Tarp
    DUTCH XENON HEX
    Insulation
    DOWN
    Suspension
    BEETLE BUCKLES
    Just threw together a lighterpack if anyone is interested. I'm sure I am missing some small items but this is where the bulk of my weight lies.

https://lighterpack.com/r/3fyvp5

Might also be worth noting that I am seriously considering an AT thru hike starting February 2020. This is the only reason I am considering any upgrades, otherwise I am completely happy where my pack weight is currently.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast