Thread: Gear Hammocks

Hammock
    Oak Creek Lost Valley
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Suspension
    ENO Helios

Question Gear Hammocks

Does anyone own a gear hammock? I've been trying to perfect my hammock setup and I'm still not 100% happy with having to place my backpack on the ground or hanging it from a tree. I feel like a gear hammock like the "ENO Underbelly" would be the solution. However, I never see any hammock campers use a gear hammock....I'm I missing something? Just wonder if anyone owns one and what the pros and cons are.
    "Hike until the signals Weak"

Signal Outdoors YouTube

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I have a few options that might work for you..

AHE Hammock Bushman Chair.. double duty as a hammock chair and gear hammock.

Zippered Gear hammock... I have to look at it to see who made it. I thought it was Loco Libre.. but I can't find it on their website. Looks just like this... It's about four feet long, maybe longer, with a zipper to close your gear in.

Also have an SLD Zip It Peak Bag.. not what you were looking for, maybe...
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, Astd. Dutch
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex, TF
    Insulation
    HG,WLSS,JrB,UGQ,LL
    Suspension
    LW straps/Becket
    I have two kinds of gear hammocks. The first is an ultralight one that is under three ounces I bought from a vendor on a Facebook "gear sale" group. That's the option I'd choose if all you wanted to do is get your gear off the ground and have it close at hand at night. The other type I own is the Dutch 2T's multipurpose Hammock Chair/Gear Hammock/Pack Cover/Ground cover. This unit weighs over 6 ounces but can do more than one thing-it is a great gear hammock and chair and will get the job done as a pack cover although it's a bit floppy. If you like to take a little break at lunch and sit on something other than a rock, this is a great option as it saves over half a pound from my stool and still elevates all my gear at night.

From your post, it sounds like your just looking for general information. I'd suggest you contact a mod so the thread gets moved to the appropriate forum, like "General Hammock Talk", where there's lots of great info!

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Quote Originally Posted by Signal Outdoors View Post
    Does anyone own a gear hammock? I've been trying to perfect my hammock setup and I'm still not 100% happy with having to place my backpack on the ground or hanging it from a tree. I feel like a gear hammock like the "ENO Underbelly" would be the solution. However, I never see any hammock campers use a gear hammock....I'm I missing something? Just wonder if anyone owns one and what the pros and cons are.
    Yo Clibsy Clark,I think I was rockin' the gear hammock when we went to Dockery Lake and also Burrell's Ford.You probably couldn't see it for the Super Fly! I do love that tarp when the weather gets bad.........

I also have a much lighter option,The Boot Hammock,available at Simply Light Designs which weighs about 2 oz the way I have it configured with Dutch Flies and Zingit.I hang it on my Dutch Beetle Buckles and adjust the positioning of it with the Flies such that I can open my Dutch Side Zip and grab my water bottle or shoes.

I hang the mostly empty pack on foot end of hammock after removing all my stuff like cook kit,toiletries,and first aid etc which gets hung with the food in a separate bag.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Moved thread out of WTB
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Oak Creek Lost Valley
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Suspension
    ENO Helios
    Ok, Very cool options there. I had never thought to use this as a chair. That would save me a ton of weight not having to bring a dedicated chair. Thanks for the advice!
    "Hike until the signals Weak"

Signal Outdoors YouTube

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    It's simple just to hang your pack from the hammock. A short bit of cord girth hitched to the pack's haul loop, then a slipped clove hitch to attach it to CL. Holds securely and releases very easily when it's packing-up time.

Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I bought some waterproof fabric from RipStopBytheRoll and had a local seamstress sew end channels and a rain flap. Unfortunately we didn't communicate well and what could have been "more hammock" was an overly large rain flap. But it was really handy. We took it kayak camping and it fit between two short distance trees - maybe 5 ft. We set it up about waist high so we could easily reach it standing up. Because it was waterproof, there was no need to rig it under a tarp. Anytime we took something out of a dry bag, it went in the gear hammock. The idea was, if we took it out of a bag once, we'd probably have to take it out again (if we put it back in the bag). So we just left it in the gear hammock that became a trough of easy to reach stuff - mostly clothes.

Later, I took it to a gear fix it shop in an attempt to have it reset with a shorter rain flap and slightly larger belly for gear. That made it even worse.

If I do this again, I'll have very specific drawings and dimensions. It's not that I didn't have paper with an idea and size estimates - it just wasn't formal enough that they got the idea.

These days I'm looking at the gear hammock offered by Simply Light Designs. It isn't waterproof but the fabric is coated a bit. I usually run a full ridge line above my tarp but with the gear hammock I can run that line under the tarp as it would pull down and not rub on the ridge seam seal. But I do have to make sure there are water blocks on the line so it doesn't bring rain water under the trap.

Is it necessary? Absolutely not. But it is handy and nice not to have to go back in a dry bag or pack over and over; plus being able to reach things just by walking up to the gear hammock.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0

$5 kids 6′ hammock from FiveBelow°, repurposed to gear-mock.

Added:
    • “knotty-mod" on both sides
    • 2 and 3 mesh pocket organizers… one sewn-on/ one prussic-ed on ridge
    • [Plus, you can use the stuff-sack that is sewn to the edge for "smallz"]
    • 58″ Zing-It ridge~ tied into channels w/ 8″ to 4′ whoopies on each end
    • 2- $$Tree 4′ dog leashes for straps w/ toggles
    • I think one end has a 12' section of "FlashLoopz" dogboned between the 'mock and the whoopie

The green cloth at the left is a flat "tarp" with magnets to pop the ends closed, and it is just prussic-ed right to the whoopies ....works great for site camping.
    The knotties make the 'mock pull closed over your gear when loaded, and you can just tie the tails of the tarp to a rock to keep it even more secure.

I like a neat site, and this is a bunch easier than digging in a pack no matter how you hang it up.
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast