Hammock
    DIY basic
    Tarp
    Amazon Special
    Insulation
    DIY Apex UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Get used to being weird. Let your friends know you're weird. Once they accept that, you can get away with almost anything

Using a modicum of common sense a campfire shouldn't be an issue. If it is... you're doing it wrong. Location, location, location. Meaning... camp setup should take into account windage for fire placement and appropriate distance of your hammock/gear in relation to the type of fire you're constructing, fire size, type of wood and expected wind/weather conditions. There is also no reason you can't utilize a wind break next to your fire to help divert smoke/ember direction. Even if you're not concerned about your hammock gear, your fire type and size can often be limited (or at least "should" be) just staying within your ground clear and tree perimeter anyway. I can't say I've ever worried about burning holes in my gear, but contributing to a forest/brush fire is ALWAYS my foremost concern.

Besides the utility of a campfire, I also believe it has a hugely positive psychological affect... especially for those that solo. (Like OneClick's pencil fire) For me, unless there is a reason not to, I'll flame on. I'm one though that doesn't mind campfire smell on my gear. It's a "good" funk and also "somewhat" of a deterent for bugs'n critters. I'm also not one that can stay tent/hammock bound from sundown to sunup. Unwinding those last hours after sundown are some of the highlights of a trip.

That said, I've never been in a small tent/hammock/open fire camping situation with a peer. I can imagine that's a fairly different dynamic and may not leave you with a lot of say in the fire control department. I'm not entirely sure what I would do in that situation, but thinking of it as a mental exercise, I would probably be "that guy" with his hammock 5-10m further out from "camp central"... for a variety of reasons, but yeah... gear preservation from a mismanaged campfire would certainly be one.

In a situation like that, where others may be in control of your gears fate.... the OP's concern is quite valid, IMHO.

CM,

Dont worry about what other people think. Do what makes you safe/happy.

That said, think of this, Shug and others, including a dear friend of mine, cook their coffee and breakfast " from the hammock". They literally have open flame, 1 foot away or less, from their hammock. Me, I am not coordinated enough to do that, or I would.

Be safe.

Bob

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Draketake View Post
    CM,

Dont worry about what other people think. Do what makes you safe/happy.

That said, think of this, Shug and others, including a dear friend of mine, cook their coffee and breakfast " from the hammock". They literally have open flame, 1 foot away or less, from their hammock. Me, I am not coordinated enough to do that, or I would.

Be safe.

Bob
    Yes but my Fancee Feest stove puts out no flying embers and it is a bit further from the hammock than it may look. Learned not to swing in hammock whilst cooking. Alway the need to be vigilant.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    In the RoundTable sub-forum someone asked how one spends the time during the longer winter nights; i.e. it gets dark at 6 pm, etc. Someone mentioned tending the campfire and that triggered one of my phobias - of course I consider it wisdom. Other people I camp with are just keen about having a campfire. And for go-to-grounders, usually, in a "formal" camp site, the fire ring is located some distance from the intended flat tent areas. But with hammocks, sometimes the trees used (no alternatives) bring us a bit closer. I worry every time I see any ash/spark rise up from the fire. I just know it has some laser guidance system that will route it to my tarp (or tent rainfly).

Yet people camp with a fire all the time. So maybe this instance of burning hole in your tarp from something floating up from the fire is much rarer than I imagine. But "rarer" is not zero. Given how easy/quick it is to deploy a hammock setup once the length of suspension is set, if I kept the tarp in skins, and took down the hammock (keeping suspension set so I just have to rewrap around the tree) I wouldn't worry - about my gear.

One of my camping partners is so worried about Cascadia (the earthquake that will shake the PNW coast line) that she hesitates to go kayaking in the San Juans or around Vancouver Island. Cascadia might happen while she is on the water. My take is, it could - but probably (by a large margin) won't. So I'm wondering if my worry about campfires messing with the tarp is the same as her concern about Cascadia.

Of course one could move their setup further and further away. But I'm taking about usual camp distances. Like if you were 10 or 15 feet from the campfire - and kept it on the smallish side - would you be concerned?

People seem to really like campfires and I'd hate to be the wet blanket that puts the fire out if it is really not an issue.
    I think that comment was mine - Yes I do tend my fire in the winter time or as I put it "nature's TV" - some other comments on here have hit the point fairly well though. Tending a fire was just one way of keeping yourself occupied - my fires are typically far away from my hammock setup - let's say 30 or 40 ft away - if the conditions are windy the fire goes out.
    You're concerns are definitely understandable, however, I feel that with a little common sense and some extra precautions there's absolutely no danger. Yes that tarp is the only thing keeping you dry and as such should be treated with respect.
    HYOH And share with us what works and perhaps maybe some mistakes you made that led you to believe there was a better way. For me the bottom line - Do your thing - If it works for you don't worry about what other people think - if you have issues pay attention to some advice

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    We hang our bear bags near the campfire so this is one part of the triangle. Anyone wanting to be here is not just tempting fate of a burn hole but a bite as well.

Other than that, as said above, always tend your fire and use wise fire rules involving wind and size of fire. I too would agree to consider a Dakota fire pit to help in lowering fire below winds. It also helps in burning more cleanly and with less wood and fewer embers.

If solo camping, the Dakota Fire Pit makes for a ready made cat hole ready for use before you cover it back up. And the ashes help break everything down.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    DIY 12ft HyperD 1.6SL
    Tarp
    The Stingray DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRWhoopieCinch
    Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post

If solo camping, the Dakota Fire Pit makes for a ready made cat hole ready for use before you cover it back up. And the ashes help break everything down.
    Now you're multitasking!�� Poor guy that digs the next Dakota pit. Seriously, why do you have to be solo to drop that rye loaf right in the middle of camp? It's all good in the woods!
    "If we lose the forests, we lose our only instructors. People must see these forests and wilderness as the greatest educational system that we have on the planet. If we lose all the universities in the world, then we would lose nothing. But If we lose the forests, we lose everything." -- Bill Mollison

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabmanhang View Post
    Now you're multitasking!�� Poor guy that digs the next Dakota pit. Seriously, why do you have to be solo to drop that rye loaf right in the middle of camp? It's all good in the woods!
    HA! I did a real LOL on that one. I wasn't thinking solo in a prepared camp. Was thinking more solo out in the woods, off trail. I would never even think about that in a designated camp site. Although..... the ashes would help speed up the composting process...... No. No, still wouldn't... unless...
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    WBBB XLC and DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Wooki / Top quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    When camping solo I usually don’t have a fire.
    When I do, I use an Emberlit Fireant as that’s plenty of fire for me and it keeps it all well contained.
    In the morning I usually find a hole in the ground and dump the few ashes or put them under a rock. Leave no trace!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    My Silpoly Hammock Hot Tent has many burn holes in it from flying embers out of the stove pipe....just part of the game as spark arrestors either clog or no worky.
    I just seam seal the hole at some point and carry on ...no big deal.
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast