Hammock
    Netless. DIY or Dutchware
    Tarp
    HG The Journey 11'
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Question Using UQ as a second TQ (stacked with a real TQ)

I have down quilts: 0F UQ, 40F UQ and 40F TQ (wide). Also I have 5F down sleeping bag.

I'm going to buy more quilts later but it's already getting colder and for now I'm considering using 0F UQ as bottom insulation and stacked 40F UQ with 40F TQ as top insulation. 40F UQ + 40F TQ as top insulation will save me significant weight (20 oz) compare to the sleeping bag and this is the main reason why I want to try it.

I see a lot of posts about quilts stacking, I see a post about using UQ as TQ, but I don't see if anyone stacked UQ with TQ to use it as top insulation.

Do you think it will work? Should I put UQ on me first and then wide TQ on the top? Will it work well in 15F? Will it work well in 0F? I know that I'll try it anyway soon, but it will be good to hear if anyone already tested similar approach.
    Last edited by AVatorL; 09-19-2019 at 05:56.

It's not ideal: in particular, the suspension would be annoying for me, but there's certainly no overriding reason why it couldn't work, other than the lack of a proper footbox meaning that your feet might get cold.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Here's a good place to start for stacking quilts:

https://support.enlightenedequipment...b-zero-camping

Yeah, the parts that aren't "doubled up" will definitely be cold below you top quilt's rating.

Hammock
    Netless. DIY or Dutchware
    Tarp
    HG The Journey 11'
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Thanks. That's a good point about the suspension. I think I can remove primary and secondary suspension shock cords and leave them at home (shouldn't take much work to put everything back after the winter when I will need 40F UQ again). And I'll take warmer socks. I assume it also won't be easy to keep shoulders under narrow UQ, but I don't think it will be a real problem. I think it will be more comfortable than when I slept in the sleeping bag but on a narrow sleeping pad in 15-20F weather. I will for sure test this kind of stacking in 15F. Then I'll see what to do in colder weather. We don't have very cold winters here anyway (only in mountains but it's a case when I'm ready to carry more weight for safety), so whatever works in 15F will work for most of the winter (in Poland and in south of Sweden where I'll be traveling a few times during the winter).
    Last edited by AVatorL; 09-19-2019 at 06:28.

Hammock
    BBXLC
    even a decent blanket would work, there's really nothing magical about a quilt. and dressing a bit warmer. once the temps drop down below freezing I pull on my big wool socks

Yes it will work. We have done this and had good success. The suspension cords can be bundled into a small wad and secured with a rubber band.
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Like others have said, it is certainly possible. It's just more 'fiddly' than stacking true TQs together. Old4hats has the right idea, you just have deal with getting the suspension parts managed. I wouldn't want to do that long term though, but for a few nights here and there, why not.

Tarp
    Outdoor Skye 10x10
    Insulation
    JC Penny Throws
    Suspension
    daisy chain straps
    I would think that you could cinch the suspension on one end completely to make a pseudo-footbox. and I thought UQs were not significantly narrower than TQs. but in any case, it will definitely work, for certain definitions of work.

• + New Posts