Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    That depends on how well you sew For me it's a ton cheaper to buy from a professional.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    For ME HF's early member's way back in the geginning of this site caught my fancy. I learned all sorts of information. Mostly the engineering types caught my attention and kept it.

I had a Sudden Cardiac Arrest (electric cues to the heart were not sent). I was left almost dysfunctional. Whwn my vision returned I found HF.

My first project required a lot of skills. I used one of Ray Jardine's kits. Every step of building the quilt was a painstaking effort.

I owe HF & DIY a BIG chunk of my recovery. Hanging is my great joy.

Also using gear that I have made to FIT me is a great pleasure.

At one time DIY was the only way to get approp we iate gear for outdoors fun. Later a lot of cash for custom gear was the norm. Now most high tech gear is easily available.

I simply like building and using my own gear. I KNOW my gwar will not fail me if I ever get in a tight spot.

Right now my DIY is not as price effective as purchasing, I still choose to DIY.
    p

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I've done six tarps if my memory is working today...
    Two were from the RBTR pre-cut kits. I strayed pretty far from the normal instructions for the kits since I made a few tarps prior and knew what I wanted. They came out great and as far as I know they are still out on the trail somewhere. They all have been exactly what I wanted them to be.. right number of tie outs, proper construction, DIY pole pockets...

I also do all my own hammocks.. never bought a commercially made hammock.

I didn't do any of the tarps to save money. Calculating the lost opportunity cost on my time likely puts all of the tarps at multiples of what I could have bought one for. Maybe I recouped some of that when I sold them, but I doubt I broke even.

So why do it??

I recall being at a small group hang once where everyone was doing the obligatory walk around camp checking out each others kit. Standing in front of mine and feeling that sense of pride when I said.. Yeah, I made all of this.. That was priceless. That's why I do it.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    These replys are all great. I would like to add that the inspiration of HF, and ideas there in enable one to DIY items incorporating several inovative concepts into an item that is more useful, and usually better and ahead of the same type of item if purchased. After making multiple quilts, tarps, stoves ect. THATS why I check HF frequently.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    For me, it was the lack of cold hard cash. Yes I could talk about my time spent = money as well, but since I can't pay myself in cash, I can pay myself in a finished product.

It cost be about $30 to make a 12x10 in digital camo fabric from Walmart and materials for guy outs, pull outs and DIY sil and end closures/doors. It weighs more than Vendor tarps but I had a finished product that lasted me at least 6 years on the original coat of sil. It now leaks but I can make more sil to renew the waterproofing.

In conclusion, yes. It saved me over 50% on a tarp if not 75%+ on a comparable sized tarp with doors and pull outs.

I may not do it again completely from scratch, but with premade SilNylon or better yet SilPoly or even the tarp kits, I would DIY again to save on build cost. If I had the available cash, I would buy from vendors to get their superior product and help support them.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    TQ, UQ, UQP
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by ecologito View Post
    Great post. I do believe most DIY'ers do it for the pride they will take on their finished product. It is hardly ever a money saver but a sense of accomplishment.
    Totally agree....it's just like "wow, I made that!"
    "Always pass on what you have learned" - Yoda

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I'll tell you what you don't save: any room for blame if/when something goes wrong.

I like buying from someone that has produced hundreds or thousands of whatever I'm buying. Things can still go wrong, but a lot less likely than if I were to make it an assume I did everything right.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    I've made alot of gear and one tarp. Sais I would never make another.

That being said there is the invaluable knowledge gained from each DIY project. Hopefully that project is waterproof and hangs true.
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

Hammock
    DIY basic
    Tarp
    Amazon Special
    Insulation
    DIY Apex UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I do lots of research/thinking before I build something. I like the fact that if something goes wrong, it's my fault and not someone else's. This means that I have to figure out how to make it right. If I did enough thinking beforehand, I can usually see exactly where something went wrong, and know how to fix it. I also think that it helps me really appreciate a well-made product when I see it when I understand the work that goes into making it right.

Hammock
    DIY Hammocks
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I haven’t saved much on Tarps, but have created other gear on a budget.

Back when they were available, I purchased two underquilt shells for about $50 each (I think).

I found an old sleeping bag on eBay for about $50. The faded tag said “two pounds of goose down.”

After vacuuming the down out of the bag, I made two 30 degree underquilts for about $75 - $80 each.

The. I took two of those Wally World down sleeping bags, cut out the zipper, opened some seams, and added more down to make a true 25-30 degree quilt.

It was quite a bit of work!

I also think you can save a some money making simple gathered end hammocks if you get the knack of sewing rolled hems. The price difference is small. My main motivation in the earlier days was a longer hammock (I’m 6’ 2”).

I also made my own gravity water filter and alcohol stoves. A beer can stove is cheap and effective once you empty the aluminum bottle.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast