Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFISH45 View Post
    For ME HF's early member's way back in the geginning of this site caught my fancy. I learned all sorts of information. Mostly the engineering types caught my attention and kept it.

I had a Sudden Cardiac Arrest (electric cues to the heart were not sent). I was left almost dysfunctional. Whwn my vision returned I found HF.

My first project required a lot of skills. I used one of Ray Jardine's kits. Every step of building the quilt was a painstaking effort.

I owe HF & DIY a BIG chunk of my recovery. Hanging is my great joy.

Also using gear that I have made to FIT me is a great pleasure.

At one time DIY was the only way to get approp we iate gear for outdoors fun. Later a lot of cash for custom gear was the norm. Now most high tech gear is easily available.

I simply like building and using my own gear. I KNOW my gwar will not fail me if I ever get in a tight spot.

Right now my DIY is not as price effective as purchasing, I still choose to DIY.
    p

I am doing this right now.
    I had a stroke in July, I was paralyzed on my right side. After many therapy sessions (still ongoing) I was able to walk but I have no feeling in my right hand.
    I made a vow , to be better than I was before. I can’t do what I did before, but I can learn new things.
    So this is my quest, I’m now making my own Knives , I own a sewing machine and I’m learning to sew like hammocks and tarps and quilts.
    Still I have no feeling in my hand, but I’m learning new skills and at my age, it’s priceless.

I can hold my hand up and say, I made that.

Hammock
    Dutch chameleon + Amok draumr XL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 20F
    Suspension
    UCR + SPIDER/POLY
    I considered an idea to make my own tarp but when I calculated cost for materials, time, shipping to Russia (very expensive) and buying sewing machine I realized that is to much for me right now. And then there was discount at Warbonet , I buyed blem Superfly tarp for mere 115 USD and personal discount from Brandon for 25 USD , So total price for superfly tarp is 90 USD - this very good deal. When time will come I will make my tarp someday anyway :^)

Hammock
    DIY WINTER HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    Diy Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Dutch gear
    Images
    Made a DIY winter tarp probably saves around 30 bucks you’re pretty much better off just buying one but when you’ve made your own makes it feel a lot betterKnowing you did it yourself
    Its a good day to be out in the woods no matter the weather.Mist One..

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Outside the labor, I’m not seeing the math on this one. I’ve never had a tarp cost $110 to make. I don’t have exact figures from my own builds, but a 12’ winter tarp kit from RSBTR in 1.1 silpoly is $72.50. A silpoly superfly from warbonnet is $135, which is almost twice the cost. My experience is that cost to build in polyester or nylon is close to 1/2 the cost to buy in tarps.

The margins in CF are much tighter, and I’ve never been able to justify the cost vs purchasing from a cottage vendor.

Ive built one down quilt. The labor issue is worth paying someone else for that imo.

Hammock
    DIY 12ft HyperD 1.6SL
    Tarp
    The Stingray DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRWhoopieCinch
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyboy42 View Post
    Outside the labor, I’m not seeing the math on this one. I’ve never had a tarp cost $110 to make. I don’t have exact figures from my own builds, but a 12’ winter tarp kit from RSBTR in 1.1 silpoly is $72.50. A silpoly superfly from warbonnet is $135, which is almost twice the cost. My experience is that cost to build in polyester or nylon is close to 1/2 the cost to buy in tarps.

The margins in CF are much tighter, and I’ve never been able to justify the cost vs purchasing from a cottage vendor.

Ive built one down quilt. The labor issue is worth paying someone else for that imo.
    When you make a tarp from xl fabric, use premium fabrics with higher waterproof ratings, add tieouts or beastie d's for pole mods, or anything beyond the basic offerings, it costs more.

I factor in shipping and total costs to acquire materials. You must have gotten a better deal than me. Kudos to you.

Hammock
    DIY dl bridge
    Tarp
    Diy silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Outdoor ink straps
    I’ve personally saved a ton of money. Of course I’ve spent those hundreds on about seven or eight hammocks, 5 or 6 tarps, numerous top and under Q’s, straps, tons of stuff sacks, etc. not to mention the Janome.
    It’s not about the savings, it’s ALL about the fun of DIY’ing.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabmanhang View Post
    When you make a tarp from xl fabric, use premium fabrics with higher waterproof ratings, add tieouts or beastie d's for pole mods, or anything beyond the basic offerings, it costs more.

I factor in shipping and total costs to acquire materials. You must have gotten a better deal than me. Kudos to you.
    You’re paying shipping on either the materials or a finished product, so that’s a wash. If I buy more expensive fabric, that’s a wash also, since the vendor will charge an up charge on a finished product. Tie outs and all that add cost, but they are included in the kit. I think the kits even give you thread? The kit does cost a little less then if you source the materials separately, but not ton less, so they are largely included in the cost comparison already.

Really the only extra cost to DIY is the tools, and time. A sewing machine, shears, needles, layout tools, grommet set, cam snap set, etc... they are one time investments, but can be pricey. Personally I have a free 1970s machine, and already owned the layout tools. I did have to invest in the rest. My time is free, because I find it fun when I diy.

Personally I wouldn’t suggest diy just to save money. There has to be a fun aspect to it. It can definitely save 40%-50% on cost if you plan and shop well. If you don’t find it to be fun though, I wouldn’t suggest it. At that point it’s just work.

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyboy42 View Post
    Personally I wouldn’t suggest diy just to save money. There has to be a fun aspect to it. It can definitely save 40%-50% on cost if you plan and shop well. If you don’t find it to be fun though, I wouldn’t suggest it. At that point it’s just work.
    Excellent advice!! If you don't enjoy making stuff probably the wrong thing to do - as with most things in life experience makes you better so don't expect to be good when you first start. You're going to make some mistakes and you're going to burn a boat ton of time learning how to fix them. Upside is the next time it will be easier. Fun first though

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123