Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    This is my 12' HG Dyneema tarp w/doors. It packs very small this way.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Folding it really isn't that difficult, even in wind, as michigandave mentioned. It takes up less space that way. But I would say pack it away however you want to. There's really no right or wrong answer and there's never going to be a consensus.
    Bingo. I have found that no matter how convoluted some people's methods might be, that's what they're comfortable with and aren't likely to change unless they see another way that is radically better.

My method is to release corner guys and let the tarp hang down, then release one end of the RL from the tree and fold the free end toward the other in zig-zag fashion, then release the other end of the RL. I then start rolling from the RL seam, tucking the stakes (in a ziploc freezer bag) in the second or third roll, then fold the ends in and continue rolling. This forces out nearly all air as it is rolled, and then the guy lines and ends of the ridge line are wrapped around the little bundle. This results in a compact and tangle-free little package that slides into the stuff sack quite easily, and it is very quick to deploy next time.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Images
    I'll double down on cmoulder's point that if you are going to fold & roll, it's much easier to start from the ridge seam and roll toward the edges, so that air doesn't get trapped. This is true of silpoly/nylon as well.

I put mine in the skin, fold each half towards the center and wrap my cord around it and slip it into the shock cord on the outside of my pack.

I’ve done this for the entire AT and most of the PCT. Same tarp, different snake skins but it’s worked all the same.

The pic is from a weekend trip so there’s more going on in my pack than usual, but you can still see

I have questions to those who get a nice small roll out of a fairly large tarp like rweb82's picture. Do you roll the tarp down tight before the snakeskin goes on? Then how hard is it to fold the long tube into something as small as that picture? Do you crush the air out with a knee or something along those lines before you wrap the lines around the bundle?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HMLCK View Post
    I have questions to those who get a nice small roll out of a fairly large tarp like rweb82's picture. Do you roll the tarp down tight before the snakeskin goes on? Then how hard is it to fold the long tube into something as small as that picture? Do you crush the air out with a knee or something along those lines before you wrap the lines around the bundle?
    It doesn't take that much aggression to get a small package out of it. I have three HG DCF tarps and do all of them the same way.

No, I don't roll them tight before the skin goes on. I grab two corners, then take the guy lines and ridge line and capture them in the tarp with a roll or two from the corner of the tarp in (so they aren't dangling), then simply hold everything up towards the ridge and slide the skin on to about the middle. Then do the same with the other two corners and their lines. Bundle all that end up towards the ridge and slide the skin on the rest of the way.

Then I release the ridge line at the open end of the skin from its' tree and start rolling. I roll firmly, not tight. About half way I wrap the loose ridge line around the bundle and then roll the rest of the way to the closed end of the skin. Release and wrap that ends ridge line and give the bundle a gentle squeeze.

Obviously the Palace is a tighter fit in the skin and rolls a bit larger than the standard hex, but it's not that much bigger. All go in a dcf stuff sack.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

I like the idea of using tension against the one tree to get a tight wrap. I hasn't thought of that. Ages ago, we used to fold tents like that. We'd start by folding into a narrow rectangle. Then one person would stand on an end to allow someone else to roll it up nice and tight.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    When I got my tarp from Hammock Gear, I got them to make an oversized stuff sack. This makes it easy for me to wad tarp up into stuff sack without folding or rolling. I’ve not packed up in high winds yet and might have a fail there. Good luck, whichever way you choose.
    My hammock stuff sack is oversized too. It’s Dyneema and very light. Why should I I have to work hard getting a tarp or hammock into a too small tight stuff sack?

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    I take a double ended bag and just stuff it in there.Once in the closed up bag you can compress it some more and tie it off.Yeah,my HG standard looks like crumple up cellophane but I'm not worried about being ticketed by the Style Police.........

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    I take a double ended bag and just stuff it in there.Once in the closed up bag you can compress it some more and tie it off.Yeah,my HG standard looks like crumple up cellophane but I'm not worried about being ticketed by the Style Police.........

Glad you posted this. I've always been curious if anyone just stuffed the cuben tarp into a bag. Sure would be easier to do than even a snake skin...

How long have you been doing this?? No ill effects that you can see??
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast