DblW Hexon/Chameleon/Half-Wit/NX270
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps w/BeetleBuk

HEX TARP WITH DYNEEMA® COMPOSITE FABRIC - My Experience

TLDR; White tarp does't come with repair tape. Repair tape isn't available.

Let me start by suggesting we not discuss why one human being needs multiple DCF tarps....

In my previous experience with DCF tarps, they have always come with a couple pieces of DCF repair tape. I've always carried the repair tape because on my first outing with my first DCF tarp I managed to trip over one of the tie outs to my half wit and launch a tent peg through the side of my tarp. Luckily for me, since it was raining, i managed a quick repair and stayed dry.

Recently, I was in the market for a lighter DCF tarp and almost purchased on from another vendor (who does provide repair tape) but went with Dutch's new DCF Hex Tarp instead - I bought it in white. To my dismay it did not come with any repair tape. My first mistake was assuming it did, but I get it, it's a business and leaving it out saves a few pennies. Not dismayed, I just thought I'd go ahead and order some but I couldn't find any on Dutch's site so I emailed to ask about it. I was directed to the green repair tape. Now I get that this is definitely a first world problem that my stupid expensive white tarp would have a green patch, but as a chronic purchaser of unnecessary, niche, hiking equipment I guess I can't help having first world standards, especially when it doesn't seem to be out of the industry norm. So I replied that using green tape was suboptimal in my mind. It wasn't until after I received the reply that I had to revise my silly preconceived notions. Apparently repair tape is not included so that I have the freedom to choose what I want to use for repairs. It's true that apparently the only two options are to use green tape or to buy a yard of DCF and make my own tape, but hey it's all about giving me the choice, right? I get that my perception is almost exclusively about me and not about any other vendor or person, but my perception, as a consumer, is that is a craptastic set of options.
    To be clear, it's not that the tarp didn't come with repair tape (my sil poly tarps didn't come with repair tape either, though that's a different beast and simple stick on tape isn't really the solution), but it's the lack of options after the fact that is disappointing. I guess I'll buy some from Z-packs but I feel like my one stop shop has let me down in this instance. Ok I'm over it.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I am making white tape an option on the website. We were temporarily out but we are making up a batch.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    DblW Hexon/Chameleon/Half-Wit/NX270
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps w/BeetleBuk
    OK thanks Dutch that makes me feel better. I'll hold off ordering until you have it ready.

• + New Posts