Hammock
    DIY 12ft HyperD 1.6SL
    Tarp
    The Stingray DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRWhoopieCinch
    Do the folks calling for not using 3/4" emt have any experience making one? Any failures to provide testimony about?

I'm curious, because when my wife and I put 300lbs in our 3/4" inch, full 10 foot length version, it worked just fine.

At 180, it holds me without any issue. I have bounced around in it and tempted fate. Nothing catastrophic happened.

Each person has their own experience. 3/4" has worked fine for our needs.

Images
    It's only speculation, but it could be that those advising against 3/4" EMT are assuming there is a lot of bending moment applied to the poles. While it's true there is some, and the maximum bending load is in the center of the pole, the majority of the load is compressive along the axis of the tubing.

Count me among those that used 3/4" EMT at full length without any issues (though that was only while waiting out the pre-order period before the commercial version was released).

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Sidewinder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I stand corrected. I did a bit of research and against all my instincts 3/4 EMT should work. The way the weight is distributed does not put enough force on 1 spot to make it bend. It’s pushing down, not out. Again, my apologies. I was speaking from a contractors perspective.

Images
    Regardless of material, has any one been able to use 90 degree hammocks with one without it doing the taco thing? I'm wondering how one would stay on the correct side of the center line with a 90*HT or Amok?

Also in Y'all's experience, what would be the minimum length pole for a WBRR? That hammock requires more distance between trees that any other hammock I have.

But it sure sounds like - based on folk's experience here- 3/4 is all any one needs. Maybe with a 1" section in the middle to allow break down for transport and storage.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Regardless of material, has any one been able to use 90 degree hammocks with one without it doing the taco thing? I'm wondering how one would stay on the correct side of the center line with a 90*HT or Amok?

Also in Y'all's experience, what would be the minimum length pole for a WBRR? That hammock requires more distance between trees that any other hammock I have.

But it sure sounds like - based on folk's experience here- 3/4 is all any one needs. Maybe with a 1" section in the middle to allow break down for transport and storage.
    I have, though personally only with the commercial stand (not that it should make any difference, commercial vs. DIY).

In theory, if you get the center of gravity of the hammock on one side of the baseline (opposite the ground tether), it should not taco, but I found that fiddly to accomplish in practice without having other inconveniences. Specifically, the problem for me was having asymmetric lengths of suspension which made the hammock want to tilt to one side. I think it can be done, through a combination of tilting the stand and using asymmetric lengths of suspension. I found it simpler to use a level stand and equal length suspension on both sides, which put the center of the hammock directly over the baseline. Then I just tethered both ends of the stand to the ground anchors. This is the only situation in which I've ever used a tether at both ends of the stand.

Unoccupied pic.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    I have, though personally only with the commercial stand (not that it should make any difference, commercial vs. DIY).

In theory, if you get the center of gravity of the hammock on one side of the baseline (opposite the ground tether), it should not taco, but I found that fiddly to accomplish in practice without having other inconveniences. Specifically, the problem for me was having asymmetric lengths of suspension which made the hammock want to tilt to one side. I think it can be done, through a combination of tilting the stand and using asymmetric lengths of suspension. I found it simpler to use a level stand and equal length suspension on both sides, which put the center of the hammock directly over the baseline. Then I just tethered both ends of the stand to the ground anchors. This is the only situation in which I've ever used a tether at both ends of the stand.

Unoccupied pic.
    Thanks, CM! So, tethers at both ends sounds like the solution, and not really much trouble.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Thanks, CM! So, tethers at both ends sounds like the solution, and not really much trouble.
    It has worked for me, anyway!

Images
    The Lord of Lollygag has posted photos showing he's a little bit offset from the baseline, but no more than a couple inches, I'd say. He's also tethered at both ends.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=1#post1978056

Images
    These awesome photos from AZsteelman are again showing the same sort of setup.

Images
    WOW! .................................................

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast