Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    cheap old one
    Tarp
    DIY underquilt
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt

EMT conduit vs Fence Rail for DIY Tensa stand

Can someone please outline) summarize the pros and cons of using either 3/4"EMT conduit or Fence rail to built a tensa style hammock stand. I would like to built one but need to choose between those options (or another cheap option if you really like it, no expensive options please). Thanks!

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 12ft HyperD 1.6SL
    Tarp
    The Stingray DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRWhoopieCinch
    Fence rail is heavier, bulkier, and stronger. EMT is sufficient for folks who don't require extra support.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    I think it’s really just that fence rail is easy to chop in half to rejoin in the middle at the swage. Fence rail is otherwise heavier and more expensive (but still cheap). So, fence rail is less fuss to make pack smaller than EMT.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    When I made my DIY tensahedron stand, there weren't any good how-to instructions using EMT conduit so I used top rail. Here's the video on how I made mine. Maybe it will help you in your decision.

◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 99 months

Tarp
    Outdoor Skye 10x10
    Insulation
    JC Penny Throws
    Suspension
    daisy chain straps
    the cheapest option, which I did a few weeks ago and really like is using wood. I found I found four 8 foot 2x2's and lashed them together to make a very cheap and quick, yet fully functional stand. it was like $12 for the wood and $8 for the paracord for lashings. the poles are mostly straight and most importantly, no knots! I had my wife watch me get in and out of it a few times, and with my 200lbs, she said there was no flexing of the poles.

Pros:
    cheap
    light (at least half the weight of emt or fence rail)
    no drilling
    no hardware

Cons,
    not easily packable
    slivers, maybe

Post about my stand
    Last edited by wienerman; 09-16-2019 at 15:34.

Hammock
    dream hammock
    Tarp
    Ugq
    Insulation
    Wilderness logics
    Suspension
    Dutch ware
    Images
    I would use larger than 3/4 EMT or use 3/4 rigid conduit.3/4 EMT is not that strong.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Sidewinder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I’m an electrician and use 3/4 EMT. I would not recommend it for a hammock stand. I would use the fencing top rail or go with a rigid conduit if you’re not worried about weight.

On the Tensa Make your Own stand page, a fella named Mike has detailed drawings of 1" EMT with 3/4" EMT telescoping for a stand. I have used his plans to contruct a Tensa that works very well, and will telescope down to fit into a standard pickup bed. I too, would not trust 3/4 by itself.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy138 View Post
    I would use larger than 3/4 EMT or use 3/4 rigid conduit.3/4 EMT is not that strong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falarny View Post
    I’m an electrician and use 3/4 EMT. I would not recommend it for a hammock stand.
    Quote Originally Posted by inspectorguy View Post
    I too, would not trust 3/4 by itself.
    I can tell you that 3/4" EMT is plenty strong and works well. Though there are load limits if used full length. There are plenty of real life examples and experience with them on HF, including myself. Mine (86" pole length) has a calculated failure load of 1000 lbs and has been loaded to just over 400 lbs in it. This thread (DIY: 3/4" EMT Tensahedron) has detailed instructions how I made my stand out of 3/4" EMT. This stand has a Safety Factor of 3 for a 350 Lb load. I have now used it for more than a year now and it works great. At the end of the thread are instructions how I modified it to fit into a camp chair bag. (~36" long by 6" diameter bundle. Weighs ~14 lbs.)

If you are under 200lbs then you could use the 3/4" EMT at the full 10' length with confidence. If more than 200lbs then you would want to shorten the poles to increase their buckling margin. I shortened then for multiple reasons but mainly cut them down so they would fit into the pick-up bed and to lower the weight. With a little more work you can make them more compact, as described in the above thread.

The 3/4" EMT ends sliding into a 1" EMT center section is also a viable option that strengthens the structure at the high load point.

Whatever you end up making one you will be glad. They are fantastic and serve a great purpose. Also kudos to Leatherdome who makes and sells a commercial version but still enthusiastically supports the DIY community for this stand.
    Last edited by jeff-oh; 10-25-2019 at 09:41.

If you want to cut your 3/4" EMT lengths into thirds like @jeff-oh this Drawn-Over-Mandrel tubing might work better than 1" EMT for joint sleeves.
    1" OD {A} x 0.930" ID {B} x .035" Wall {C} DOM Steel Tube
    https://www.speedymetals.com/showpro...productid=3492

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast