Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    12' Dyneema Hex
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Do you store your suspension with your hammock or separately?

Hey everyone,

I'm experimenting with different suspensions and I also just got a double ended stuff sack. I have been trying to settle on how I want my storage and setup to go. I'm wondering if folks are interested in chiming in on what they do and the benefits. I know this can feel a bit like a tiny point but I like learning from the community even on such micro things as fine tuning setup.

Since getting my new setup, I have only gone on one trip so far with no rain, but I've hung in a park dozens of times. Here's what I've been thinking.

Storing suspension inside double ended stuff sack with the hammock
    Benefits: This has been the fastest way to setup. I have dutch clips allowing me to pull one side of suspension out, hang it from the tree, and then walk it out of the sack as I get to the second tree. I can almost do this one handed. The downside is that if they are wet, I now need to store them separately. If my suspension doesn't detach easily that's a pain.

Storing suspension separately.
    Benefits: If it's raining, I won't get my hammock wet, this is pretty big. I haven't experienced it yet but I know that if it pours, sticking my hammock in wet when it didn't need to be would be pretty bad. I mean sure it's a hammock, it can get drenched and be fine. But I wouldn't want to bring extra moisture into my pack if it can be avoided.

Do both.
    Have a suspension that is going to stat connected to the hammock but come off relatively easily. If it's sunny out, put the suspension into the double ended stuff sack for easy setup next time. If the straps are wet, remove them and store them in the outer mesh pocket for the day.

What do you do?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Suspension always separate from hammock.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    LSOH Warrior Edge
    Tarp
    DIY Xyl
    Insulation
    LSOH Toaster
    Suspension
    Cinch / webbing
    separate in a small bag, clipped to the hammock stuff sack with your choice of small biner.

Quote Originally Posted by mmachenry View Post
    I have been trying to settle on how I want my storage and setup to go. I'm wondering if folks are interested in chiming in on what they do and the benefits.

What do you do?
    For my gathered end hammock, the whoopie slings are larks-headed onto the continuous loops on each end and stay with the hammock. I usually leave at least part, if not all, of the whoopie sling sticking out of the double ended stuff sack when packing. Even if it's been raining, the whoopies don't really absorb water and I can shake most of it off before simply coiling them loosely around the stuff sack. Tree straps go into a separate stuff sack that also holds my tarp stakes and toggles.

For my bridge, I use longer straps and beckett hitch directly to the hammock suspension. Again, the tree straps go into a separate stuff sack from the hammock.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I always stick them in the bag together. The moisture thing has never really bothered me.

What does bother me is pine sap, in which case I'll put the straps in a plastic ziploc before putting them in with the hammock.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

My whoopie slings are permanently attached to my hammock, so they just get stuffed in either end of my stuff sack. Slings are rolled up and either go in the end of the stuff sack or in the mesh back of my Ohm.

To me, it's not an issue if they are damp, since everything will dry out pretty quick once the hammock is set up again. Plus, why bother with more hardware. Keeping it simple!
    Last edited by michigandave; 09-16-2019 at 07:01.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Always separate. In the field, the suspension could be wer or have tree sap. At home, separate too because I have multiple hammocks & use the same suspension.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC/Eldorado
    Tarp
    HG dyneema
    Insulation
    Diamondback,wookie
    Suspension
    Spider/Beetle
    Images
    My whoopies are also permanently attached to my hammock. If my tree straps are dry they go in with my hammock, if they are wet then they go in with my tarp which should also be wet. Then the wet stuff gets carried on the outside of the pack. I have an extra gallon zip lock bag that can hold them if needed.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I always stick them in the bag together. The moisture thing has never really bothered me.

What does bother me is pine sap, in which case I'll put the straps in a plastic ziploc before putting them in with the hammock.
    I do the same as cmoulder.

Hammock
    DIY 12ft HyperD 1.6SL
    Tarp
    The Stingray DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRWhoopieCinch
    I always leave the straps hanging out of each end of my double stuff sack. Since it is the last thing to go in my pack, at the top, I can leave the straps in the pack if they're dry and if they're wet, I can roll them up and strap them to the top of my pack. I keep my underquilt on the hammock at all times and it gets stuffed in the jumbo stuff sack with the hammock, ridgeline organizer, underquilt protector, etc.. so I don't have to rehang all of those things each setup. When I get ready to set back up for the night, I grab my straps and walk to a tree. I do keep the straps removable, so if something drastic happens I can disconnect them and separate them. Never had to, though.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast