Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    12' Dyneema Hex
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

What temperature ratings make up your personal set of quilts?

Hey everyone,

I've been hammock camping for a few years and I'm just now starting to look into using my hammock in colder months. I have a DIY Costco Down Throw quilt but I'm interested in a new quilt that will allow me to camp into the later fall. I know that temperature ratings are highly variable, both due to personal taste and different environments. But I want my next purchase to be able to fit into a set of quilts that will cover me for most temperatures I will encounter.

So I'm wonder, for those of you who have under quilts and top quilts, especially those of you who have more than one set, what did you go with for temperature ratings? What about brand or options? Are you happy with it? Do you have advice or things you'd do differently if you bought them again?

I think my next set will probably be around 20 - 30 ish for both under and top quilts. I might eventually get something near the zero degree range. But I'd love to hear folks advice on what are good ranges to have and how much you tend to jump down between your sets. Do you have 20 or 30 degrees between them? More?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You can always layer them to get to colder temps.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    12' Dyneema Hex
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    You can always layer them to get to colder temps.
    It's good advice. But I'm looking to figure out what would be the best to get next after my DIY quilt. If I'm going to be backpacking I'd rather avoid planning to bring several quilts and just bring one set.

Tarp
    Outdoor Skye 10x10
    Insulation
    JC Penny Throws
    Suspension
    daisy chain straps
    I made a four layer DIY Costco Down Throw (CDT) underquilt and topquilt system. it nominally allows me to dial the temperature rating from 55F to 10F.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I have 40, 20 and 0* quilt sets, all from HG, all hydrophobic down. I would say the 20* quilts get the most use, but it's nice to have 40* quilts for those warmer temps, and 0* quilts for those colder temps. I really only stack quilts for temps 10* and colder.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mmachenry View Post
    Hey everyone,

So I'm wonder, for those of you who have under quilts and top quilts, especially those of you who have more than one set, what did you go with for temperature ratings? What about brand or options? Are you happy with it? Do you have advice or things you'd do differently if you bought them again?
    *1) first UQ was 20* (UGQ)for exactly why you posted here - something easily 3 season with a bit of extra insurance in case the temp rating wasn't on.
    *2) As a camper I had lots of down sleeping bags in different temp ratings - ranging from 40*-0*. I saw no need to purchase a top quilt (I almost exclusively use my zero degree now-more later)
    *3) after being on this forum for a while and seeing all the jazz about a top quilt I decided to buy one - luckily I did because a company I bought from no longer exists - OWL - r.i.p. Marty - got a 0* That was the high fill power most of my gear was lacking. It's really cool how compact I can make that versus the 0 sleeping bag (700 fp).

Advice I would give you based on my experience;
    - A)go with the 20 under quilt and go with a top quilt that's warmer like a 0*. Both can be vented in warmer climate eliminating need for other insulation/gear for 3 season camping. Shug shows several ways to vent top and bottom insulation in his videos.
    - B) Buy extra gear for winter camping only. Save your money for transportation to camp areas.
    -C) Don't be scared to buy used especially if you want to try out items. Specifically on this forum Members are top-notch. Reselling used equipment is not an issue.
    -D) group hang - If you don't know what I'm talking about search the threads - great way to see different kinds of equipment/gear/insulation/methods etc....

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Living and hiking mostly in Georgia, my underquilt is the AHE Jarbidge 3-season version and top quilt is the JRB Hudson River. These will cover probably 80-90 percent of what I do and where I go. In extremely hot temperatures I'll go with poncho liner under quilt and top quilt. I'm not experienced with truly cold temperatures but the Jarbidge/Hudson River set will do mid-20s with ease.

About the only thing I'd do differently would be to get the sewn footbox option from JRB. I'd lose the option to use the Hudson River as an underquilt by adding a suspension kit to it, but I've never done that anyway. However, if you think you might, then the omni tape and drawstring method works quite well to form the footbox.

Looking forward, I'd probably like to eventually add a zero degree option to my equipment and try some colder temperatures, but that's not a priority. I imagine I'd get both top and bottom quilts for that scenario, but those conditions don't prevail here in the southeast, so my money is better used for other things.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    It's good advice. But I'm looking to figure out what would be the best to get next after my DIY quilt. If I'm going to be backpacking I'd rather avoid planning to bring several quilts and just bring one set.
    I'd say a 20º or 30º then.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I'm in the 0/20/40 camp.

However I do not have a 0deg TQ because when it gets that cold I will wear down parka and pants (which I'm carrying anyway) for sleeping, which augments the 20deg TQ. Some people don't like this sort of thing but it works for me.

A really special lightweight set I have for some shoulder season weather is a 30deg TQ (EE Enigma 7D/950fp) and 20deg UQ (shorter... 65", EE Revolt 10D/850fp) that together weigh 29oz and smoosh down very small.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Started with a 20/20 set, then expanded to a 40/40 and 0/0 set. I backpack in the spring, summer and fall. Once the snow hits, it's deep winter hot tent base camping with the pulk a couple miles from the trailhead.

Before I bought my first quilt (20 degree Enlightened Equipment RevX) back in 2013, I was using a combo of sleeping bags, pads and a homemade pod. Then I went to a group hang and discovered the magic of top quilts and underquilts.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast