Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images

Monolite Carnage

Out this weekend for an overnighter.. with a little under ten miles done, most of which was in the rain, we made camp with the intention to do another 10-ish on Sunday.

Set up everything, had a bite to eat and since it was still early (EARLY!) I got the urge to take an afternoon nap.

No sooner did I ease my butt into the hammock, and.... Riiiiippppp! Down I go.

Total and catastrophic failure of the Monolite hammock.

I made this hammock a few months back.. Right when this fabric/netting was first launched. Prior to this one I had made about five hammocks so this wasn't my first rodeo. I didn't plop, hop or otherwise drop into it... I never do. It had about fifteen trail nights on it and a few more in the back yard. It showed no signs of distress or damage.. it lust failed in the middle and the rupture went right up to the side seams.

Immediately packed up everything, snapped a few pictures and was ready to hike out.. Fortunately we had met a few other hangers at camp, and were under two miles from where they parked. One of them had a spare hammock so I hiked out to their car and back, salvaging the trip. The hammock... Not so much. It's trash.

The upside is I got to try 1.0 Hexon for the first time and liked it quite a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Dang! Were you wearing any clothing that has any hardware? I don’t wear any clothes with metal or hard plastic bits anymore because I worry it will damage the fabric, especially if they themselves get damaged and develop sharp edges or burrs. Also empty your pockets of hardware too.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Wow, that was a very very nice jester for someone to hike out to get you a loaner hammock. Was this a total stranger?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Wow, that was a very very nice jester for someone to hike out to get you a loaner hammock. Was this a total stranger?
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    One of them had a spare hammock so I hiked out to their car and back, salvaging the trip. The hammock... Not so much. It's trash
    Sounds like he went and got it from their vehicle. I wonder if and how he managed to return it to the owner though! BTW, it’s not necessarily “trash”. Could make a ridgeline organizer, stuff sack, tarp sleeve, or whatever out of the remnants!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki 0deg
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Ouch! Sorry to hear about the failure. I was actually out in my backyard today testing an UQ since you can see through the hammock. Haven't seen any signs of failure, but since I got my fabric right around when it launched as well, I am going to be extra careful for a while

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    That is a bummer.
    Save weight elsewhere but not in your sleeping rig.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    MYOG 11’ Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    MYOG 12’ Hex
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    That’s a bummer, I just picked up 7yds of that stuff to make my daughters’s enclosed hammock with and I’ve sold two others made with it in the past. She doesn’t weigh much, but maybe I should just use it for a couple hammock nets and buy some normal fabric for the body? Glad you didn’t get injured and thanks for the heads up.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    MikekiM how close are you to the rated weight of Monolite, if you don't mind my asking?
    I ask because I made two for the wife & me. We use them only as summer yard hammocks because I'm very near to the 200 mark.
    They are quite breathable on a hot afternoon. Sorry to hear that yours got too breathable!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    My days of using 1.0 fabrics are long over - disposable hammocks just aren't my thing. Glad I'm not part of the MonoLite experiment!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyRandy View Post
    Dang! Were you wearing any clothing that has any hardware? I don’t wear any clothes with metal or hard plastic bits anymore because I worry it will damage the fabric, especially if they themselves get damaged and develop sharp edges or burrs. Also empty your pockets of hardware too.
    Nothing in my pockets.. back pockets on my shorts are velcro closure. Front pockets were empty other than my flat wallet with ID.

Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Me and my hiking partner went out to get it.. The gent who lent it to me is someone I know well..

Quote Originally Posted by HandyRandy View Post
    Sounds like he went and got it from their vehicle. I wonder if and how he managed to return it to the owner though! BTW, it’s not necessarily “trash”. Could make a ridgeline organizer, stuff sack, tarp sleeve, or whatever out of the remnants!
    The fabric will be re-purposed.. but as a hammock.. it's a gonner.

Quote Originally Posted by Heavyhiker View Post
    Ouch! Sorry to hear about the failure. I was actually out in my backyard today testing an UQ since you can see through the hammock. Haven't seen any signs of failure, but since I got my fabric right around when it launched as well, I am going to be extra careful for a while
    Can't say more than I have. I am not suggesting issues with the fabric, make of this experience what you will. Freak failure or what.. I don't know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    That is a bummer.
    Save weight elsewhere but not in your sleeping rig.
    Shug
    True that Shug.. but I have to say.. after seeing a much heavier person bouncing it, I was pretty confident it would work well... until it didn't!!

Gotta say, it's really comfortable for hammock fabric as long as is stays a hammock.

Quote Originally Posted by MO-Camper View Post
    That’s a bummer, I just picked up 7yds of that stuff to make my daughters’s enclosed hammock with and I’ve sold two others made with it in the past. She doesn’t weigh much, but maybe I should just use it for a couple hammock nets and buy some normal fabric for the body? Glad you didn’t get injured and thanks for the heads up.

You can see the rock that was just to my starboard when in the hammock.. There was a second one, much larger right behind it. Could have been problematic. I did mention to my hiking partner, I wished I had hung a little higher. Now, glad I didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    MikekiM how close are you to the rated weight of Monolite, if you don't mind my asking?
    I ask because I made two for the wife & me. We use them only as summer yard hammocks because I'm very near to the 200 mark.
    They are quite breathable on a hot afternoon. Sorry to hear that yours got too breathable!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    No worries.. I am between 195 & 200 depending on the day.

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    My days of using 1.0 fabrics are long over - disposable hammocks just aren't my thing. Glad I'm not part of the MonoLite experiment!
    I had just finished a second 1.6 Hyper D, which is my favorite fabric. I use a zippered Half Wit style bug net that is interchangeable between all of my hammocks and the net was on the Monolite. I packed late Friday night and didn't want to swap the net.. otherwise, I wouldn't have brought the Monolite.

As far the experiment.. someone has to do these things.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast