Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    My days of using 1.0 fabrics are long over - disposable hammocks just aren't my thing. Glad I'm not part of the MonoLite experiment!
    Thats cuz you no hike no mo you old curmudgeon
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Pine Barrens Leather

Hammock
    Chameleon wide
    Tarp
    WB MJ
    Insulation
    LL HabUQ, SSSerTQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Sorry for your loss MikekiM! I had a similar fail on my WB XLC (1.7) last summer. I think I had weakened it back in my pad days with grip tape on the pad - essentially acting as sandpaper! Total bonehead move on my part.

As HandyRandy said, you have material for other items now. I just made a BlackBishop Bag out of some of my remnants for my Chameleon.
    Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.
    ~Bill Nye

Images
    Wow! Good thing, apparently, that you did not have an 850 FP down UQ under you, which likely would have either ripped at the UQ suspension and/or exploded at least one baffle, with down floating away. I have actually seen this happen, one time.

I have always been paranoid of this very type of thing happening, especially with rocks under me. or one of my stands has a steel bar under me. Some of my hammocks are very old, though stouter material. Maybe I should not still use them, but I still do. But this goes to show even a newish hammock can drop you. Thank goodness it is apparently rare.

Hammock
    DW Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DW Asym DCF
    Insulation
    UGQ/Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Becket
    Well, there go my plans for my next hammock purchase...

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesam3 View Post
    Could it be that the "much heavier person bouncing in it" was the problem? Could have stressed the fabric and weakened it.
    No... there hasn't been anyone else in my hammock. This was one of the cottage vendors who posted a vid a while back.

At first, I thought my sewing had something to do with it, but clearly my seams are the only thing holding the hammock together!!

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    That was an 'interesting' thing to observe. At first I thought the sound was the suspension doing a mighty slip-zip until I peeked under the tarp and saw my buddy all taco'ed inside that orange UQ. It wasn't until the UQ was removed that I could appreciate the totality of the disaster!

Just glad there were no injuries, that we weren't way the heck out someplace, that it happened not too late, that our friend had a backup in his car, and no damage to the UQ. Lotsa good karma going on there, and a valuable lesson learned.
    Thanks again for the hand getting me up.. and for hiking out with me!! Nobody got hurt, we filled in a few data points on the pros and cons of Monolite for UL, and we have some laughs to look back on!!
    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    Sorry about your loss! I've been using my SLD Trail Lair in hexon 1.0 for a couple years with no issues. Love the fabric and post some pics when you make a replacement hammock!
    No big deal, but thank you. I had mentally retired the Monolite to summer back yard duty but, truth be told.. was lazy in packing. I should have listened to my gut and grabbed the 1.6.

As life will have it, in the truck load of stuff I got from the family of my good friend Sqidmark (RIP brother) there is some Hexon 1.0..

Quote Originally Posted by Cabmanhang View Post
    Wow! That is a complete failure. Where is the ripstop?

I've been swinging in robic ultralight (Ripstop by the roll, before the great hammock wars of 2018) for a couple of years, as it is my favorite for comfort. Never had an issue, but seeing this makes me nervous.

I just can't get comfortable sleeping on something that looks like bugnet. Sorry for your loss. I know that the ultralight ambition has to be pursued and until there are real world failures or success, it's always pushing the envelope with a question mark.
    I tried Robic 1.2 and found it too stretchy. The Hexon 1.0 seems a bit firmer, without a serious weight penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by Peppy View Post
    I could be wrong, but he may be referring to the video put out with Randy from Dream Hammocks...
    ^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by mcpuddleglum View Post
    Had been thinking of trying a monolite, but may just pass for now. I have been sleeping recently in Hexon 1.0 though and really like the feel. A bit more stretch as is to be expected, but really comfortable. I weigh around 165.
    I didn't post this to discourage others from using it. Rather it was general information. Far too many variables.

Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Bummer. Glad to hear you weren't hurt.

I have a Hexon 1.0 from Dutchware and a DIY 1.2 MTN XL that are both still holding up, though I always wonder. I sometimes catch myself putting most of my body weight on 1 or 2 palms when rotating myself to exit the hammock. I'd be wise to unlearn that behavior and maybe use the ridgeline to leverage myself during that rotation, so as not to put so much pressure on a small area.

Yours is the first reported Monolite hammock failure that I can recall, though I'm guessing yours had probably seen more use than most Monolite hammocks in the ~9 month history of that fabric. Based on info from Kyle, I would expect it to be a little more robust against this sort of failure than most other 1.0 fabrics.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=1#post1943553

As to what factor caused the sudden failure, there's probably no way to tell at this point. You seem very careful with your gear, and I'd expect a material defect would have resulted in failure much earlier in the hammock's life, but who knows.

Will you build a new one in Monolite for next year??
    I don't recall any other failures either. I had a DIY Robic 1.2 XL.. it was a great hammock, but a bit too stretchy for me. The Monolite was an anomaly.. by all rights it shouldn't have worked.. funny thing.. it didn't.

I am extremely careful with my gear and I can tell you for sure, I enter and exit with care, regardless of the fabric.

No... I won't be making another Monolite. It was fun to be one of the first. One of the first to make one and one of the first to fall through one!!

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    lol I had that same exact thought!

Now that it's not buggy I'm going to use a 1.6 Hyper D netless to reduce weight/volume.
    My short term plans... Continue to use the 1.6 Hyper D I had just finished.. and make two Hexon 1.0's.. one that can accept my zippered Half Wit net and one netless but with side pull outs at the head and Knotty Mod at the foot. That should be good for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Poop.

Though I have to admit... I did that week or so in the Monolite. Then tried the Airwave 1.7 for a week or so.
    I didn't like the Airwave at first, but it softened up and grew on me.

The Monolite did seem more stretched out/broken in when I gave it a second shot for three nights... I am too heavy for it either way, but sorry to hear this failure happened.
    I didn't plan on using it for any bridges, but it does seem promising for GE use. Hopefully a milling error and definitely something to touch base with Kyle about to see if he has some feedback.
    JB, I didn't notice any fatigue in the fabric and it remained comfortable that last time I used it. No way I would use it for a bridge.

As I think about it, the last thing I did with the Monolite was shorten the SRL a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    Not for nothing but my Dutch hexon 1.0 weighs 7oz with cont. loops amd ridgeline which is the same as monolite. Aaaannd......my $12 grand truck lounging hammock has about 5 or 6 quarter sized burn holes in it for a few years now and I still use it all the time at work
    Can't argue this.. Yours is actually a snick lighter than my Monolite, though it does have half zippers too.

Quote Originally Posted by Benchmark View Post
    Sorry for your loss MikekiM! I had a similar fail on my WB XLC (1.7) last summer. I think I had weakened it back in my pad days with grip tape on the pad - essentially acting as sandpaper! Total bonehead move on my part.

As HandyRandy said, you have material for other items now. I just made a BlackBishop Bag out of some of my remnants for my Chameleon.
    It's a weird material.. No idea what I will use it for. I do wish I could salvage the zippers.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Wow! Good thing, apparently, that you did not have an 850 FP down UQ under you, which likely would have either ripped at the UQ suspension and/or exploded at least one baffle, with down floating away. I have actually seen this happen, one time.

I have always been paranoid of this very type of thing happening, especially with rocks under me. or one of my stands has a steel bar under me. Some of my hammocks are very old, though stouter material. Maybe I should not still use them, but I still do. But this goes to show even a newish hammock can drop you. Thank goodness it is apparently rare.
    Damaged UQ.. that was the second thought that went through my head.. That pointy rock was all I could I think about once I got up.. That could have been bad.

Quote Originally Posted by erric View Post
    Well, there go my plans for my next hammock purchase...
    LOL.. enjoy your 1.2 Robic XL for a while. If that fabric was comfortable for me, I probably wouldn't have made the Monolite.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    It’s curious that you found the Robic 1.2 too stretchy, yet went for the Monolite.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I see you do not do things part way!

Glad you were not seriously injured.

Hammock
    Sparrow 1.6 HyperD
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/doors 12'
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Poly/Dyneema
    I was set up about 20’ from Mike and was about to doze off for a day nap when I heard him hit the ground with a thud; I forget the expletive but it’s what got me out of my hammy to see what was going on.

Luckily he wasn’t hurt, although had he dropped another foot to his right, this would have been a different story.

I offered Mike my car keys if he wanted to snag one of the 1.0oz hexon netless I leave in the trunk of my car. He and Bob decided to make the short (1.2m) hike back to the parking lot and return to camp

The trip turned out well and we enjoyed a cool night in Harriman.
    Hammock Backpackers Community 👇🏻
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/hammockbackpackers

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly View Post
    I was set up about 20’ from Mike and was about to doze off for a day nap when I heard him hit the ground with a thud; I forget the expletive but it’s what got me out of my hammy to see what was going on.

Luckily he wasn’t hurt, although had he dropped another foot to his right, this would have been a different story.

I offered Mike my car keys if he wanted to snag one of the 1.0oz hexon netless I leave in the trunk of my car. He and Bob decided to make the short (1.2m) hike back to the parking lot and return to camp

The trip turned out well and we enjoyed a cool night in Harriman.
    No doubt.. Jolly saved the day...

Thank you brother!!
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    That's so bad to have such carnage out in the field. But great to be hiking with a loyal group.

I like that fabric, well more the look of the see thru. Hopefully they can make a 1.4 monolite. I would like to see that better than a 1.0 double layer.

So, looks like you have just the right amount of halves to make a gear hammock and a double layer hammock chair for lounging.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast