Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Could it be that the "much heavier person bouncing in it" was the problem? Could have stressed the fabric and weakened it.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    That was an 'interesting' thing to observe. At first I thought the sound was the suspension doing a mighty slip-zip until I peeked under the tarp and saw my buddy all taco'ed inside that orange UQ. It wasn't until the UQ was removed that I could appreciate the totality of the disaster!

Just glad there were no injuries, that we weren't way the heck out someplace, that it happened not too late, that our friend had a backup in his car, and no damage to the UQ. Lotsa good karma going on there, and a valuable lesson learned.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Sorry about your loss! I've been using my SLD Trail Lair in hexon 1.0 for a couple years with no issues. Love the fabric and post some pics when you make a replacement hammock!

Hammock
    DIY 12ft HyperD 1.6SL
    Tarp
    The Stingray DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRWhoopieCinch
    Wow! That is a complete failure. Where is the ripstop?

I've been swinging in robic ultralight (Ripstop by the roll, before the great hammock wars of 2018) for a couple of years, as it is my favorite for comfort. Never had an issue, but seeing this makes me nervous.

I just can't get comfortable sleeping on something that looks like bugnet. Sorry for your loss. I know that the ultralight ambition has to be pursued and until there are real world failures or success, it's always pushing the envelope with a question mark.

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesam3 View Post
    Could it be that the "much heavier person bouncing in it" was the problem? Could have stressed the fabric and weakened it.
    I could be wrong, but he may be referring to the video put out with Randy from Dream Hammocks...
    Hammock Tourist / Hammock Fiend / Hammock Therapist

Hammock
    Darien
    Tarp
    HG Hex
    Insulation
    HG and CRO
    Suspension
    Kevlar-Lapp Hitch
    Had been thinking of trying a monolite, but may just pass for now. I have been sleeping recently in Hexon 1.0 though and really like the feel. A bit more stretch as is to be expected, but really comfortable. I weigh around 165.
    "Walking is man's best medicine." - Hippocrates

Images
    Bummer. Glad to hear you weren't hurt.

I have a Hexon 1.0 from Dutchware and a DIY 1.2 MTN XL that are both still holding up, though I always wonder. I sometimes catch myself putting most of my body weight on 1 or 2 palms when rotating myself to exit the hammock. I'd be wise to unlearn that behavior and maybe use the ridgeline to leverage myself during that rotation, so as not to put so much pressure on a small area.

Yours is the first reported Monolite hammock failure that I can recall, though I'm guessing yours had probably seen more use than most Monolite hammocks in the ~9 month history of that fabric. Based on info from Kyle, I would expect it to be a little more robust against this sort of failure than most other 1.0 fabrics.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=1#post1943553

As to what factor caused the sudden failure, there's probably no way to tell at this point. You seem very careful with your gear, and I'd expect a material defect would have resulted in failure much earlier in the hammock's life, but who knows.

Will you build a new one in Monolite for next year??

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I sometimes catch myself putting most of my body weight on 1 or 2 palms when rotating myself to exit the hammock. I'd be wise to unlearn that behavior and maybe use the ridgeline to leverage myself during that rotation, so as not to put so much pressure on a small area.
    lol I had that same exact thought!

Now that it's not buggy I'm going to use a 1.6 Hyper D netless to reduce weight/volume.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Poop.

Though I have to admit... I did that week or so in the Monolite. Then tried the Airwave 1.7 for a week or so.
    I didn't like the Airwave at first, but it softened up and grew on me.

The Monolite did seem more stretched out/broken in when I gave it a second shot for three nights... I am too heavy for it either way, but sorry to hear this failure happened.
    I didn't plan on using it for any bridges, but it does seem promising for GE use. Hopefully a milling error and definitely something to touch base with Kyle about to see if he has some feedback.

Images
    Not for nothing but my Dutch hexon 1.0 weighs 7oz with cont. loops amd ridgeline which is the same as monolite. Aaaannd......my $12 grand truck lounging hammock has about 5 or 6 quarter sized burn holes in it for a few years now and I still use it all the time at work
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Pine Barrens Leather

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast