Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to hang a Mayan... hammock, not a man. 😂

Hello everyone,

Based on what I could find, I don't believe there is a policy for first time posters. If there is, I can make an official introduction in the New Members section, otherwise, I'll keep it simple and state I'm a long time hanger, been lurking here for quite some time, and finally asked a question the search function could not provide an answer for.

I recently purchased my first Mayan hammock for full time use in my bedroom. More specifically, a Tommy Hamaca XX Grande from Seaside Hammocks. I have no affiliation to them, nor can I review the hammock at this time as I have yet to hang it. You'd be amazed at the lack of information/reviews surrounding this hammock, so if you have any experiences to share, positive or negative, please speak up.

I have many Dream Hammocks, an SLD, and a netless from Dutch...so I am aware of what nylon ripstops have to offer. Thus far, 1.6 HyperD has been my favorite, and I honestly sleep better in my DH Sparrow than my bed. I heard rumour Mayan hammocks provide even more comfort than nylon ripstop so I wanted to try one. Sadly, I understand all to well the amount of tweaking and experimenting involved with finding the perfect lay.

I was hoping those with mayan/handwoven hammock experience could share any insights they have discovered and at least give me a starting point, as I've heard they are fundamentally different from a camping rig.

Traditionally I keep my ridgelines taunt at around 83% of the hammock body length, suspension angle around 30°, and my foot end around 8-12" higher than my head end. I read some very old threads stating Mayans should be hung with much greater sag, around 45°, which coupled with a greater overall length, completely changes the mounting points in the house. Cannibal seemed to be the resident expert, but has been inactive for quite some time.

Simply hoping to avoid stringing up between countless trees trying to find an appropriate distance and angle of the dangle before tapping into my wall studs.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Ashes; 09-12-2019 at 06:48.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    All I can offer is some You Tube video results......https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ks+how+to+hang
    May give some insight.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashes View Post

I was hoping those with mayan/handwoven hammock experience could share any insights they have discovered and at least give me a starting point, as I've heard they are fundamentally different from a camping rig.
    !
    I wouldn't treat it a ton differently, to be honest

they're usually 11-12 foot from end to end, with 8ish feet that is "bed"

I just hang mine as if it's a regular gathered end, and then call it nap time

most times, I have mine on the stand, which is much less optimal than when I can hang it from trees

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    I hang my large cotton hammock from Dutch's hangers, about 15 feet apart. I hung one side (Head end)off of a continuous loop so it would hang just a tad lower than the foot end. It makes for a beautiful night's sleep!

Charlotte

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I have recently used 2 Mexican hammocks, which I believe is synonymous to Mayan. Mine were about 13' long and I found them to be pretty easy to hang. More sag, less sag - they were generally very comfortable. I'd suggest to just hang your new hammock with an angle that is a bit steeper than what you're used to and see if you like it. Due to their length, it also wasn't necessary to lift the foot end. So far, the Mexican hammocks were among the most comfortable hammocks I have used. But the dynamic weave made it a bit more difficult to find the perfect lay.

Hammock
    WBBBXLC/Eldorado
    Tarp
    WB Thunder/Mtn fly
    Insulation
    WBWookie/EEEnigma
    Suspension
    DClips/BeatleBuckl
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    All I can offer is some You Tube video results......https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ks+how+to+hang
    May give some insight.
    Shug

Its like a Mayan version of Shug!

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by ahursey530 View Post
    Uh huh. They both have the flexibility of a 10 yo.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WB Eldorado SL
    Tarp
    HG DCF std camo
    Insulation
    WB DB + Wooki 20*
    Suspension
    Dyneema + Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by ahursey530 View Post
    Wooo amigo! ĄTodo seguro en el sector 7!

Thanks for the responses so far, I'm quickly finding these hammocks lack the following and therefore information base many of the cottage vendor products have here. If it's of interest, I'll share my experiences as I tinker. Possibly post some pictures as this thing seems pretty lush compared to my others. Definitely not going to win any weight weenie awards!

Like hutzelbein, the particular Mayan I purchased comes in between 13-14' long, bed length accounts for 8 feet, the rest comes from clews. Width is an absurd 9-10', but if my research is accurate the additional width is appreciated as woven hammocks are not smoothed out beneath the hanger like nylon. The weave allows it to contract without wrinkles or calf ridges, stretchy for lack of a better word, like my Nacho Libre pants.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I would be most interested in your experiences as you go along.

BTW, thanks for the link Shug! Loved it
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast