Tarp
    Dutch xenon winter
    Insulation
    Incubator/EE Rev
    Suspension
    Straps/Beetles
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Ambient conditions cool and foggy?

Almost everything is going to get soaked in those conditions... by far the most challenging in all the great outdoors.
    Around 60, no fog, but steady rain for hours. Suspect the seam wasn't as waterproof as advertised and I should tighten it all up for the future

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vicar7 View Post
    Around 60, no fog, but steady rain for hours. Suspect the seam wasn't as waterproof as advertised and I should tighten it all up for the future
    It could be leaking. I've read posts about this type of ridge line seam before with some people reporting they've had leakage and some saying it never happened to them.

If you seal it and stuff still gets wet, then it's the conditions. Sometimes you will notice that if there's an actual body in the hammock putting out a small amount of heat that that will be enough alone to 'tip the scales' a bit and keep it somewhat drier (or less moist) under the tarp.

I've been on a few trips to the PNW and have encountered foggy conditions that left every single piece of clothing and gear, inside and outside the tent (alpine, no hammocking ), completely soaked.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    Dutch xenon winter
    Insulation
    Incubator/EE Rev
    Suspension
    Straps/Beetles
    I've been on a few trips to the PNW and have encountered foggy conditions that left every single piece of clothing and gear, inside and outside the tent (alpine, no hammocking ), completely soaked.
    That's where I am, and apparently the Portland airport just south of me is setting rainfall totals for this date. Could be a combo of factors for sure.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Looks like you have stingers or something connecting the tarp ridge to the Tensa Extenders...and a pretty high ends on tarp.
    Check that rain was not running in the inside of tarp there. And yes, try to tighten that tarp ridgeline to get some of the sway out of it. Could help.
    And do seam seal that ridgeline. I know I always do.
    Carry forth.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    Yes, seal the ridgeline. I just got done doing mine yesterday. On my last trip I noticed the same problem after a night of solid rain. Hammock was getting wet under a perfectly pitched tarp. I think wicking action pulls water through the small thread holes when they get saturated, and it then glides down the curve of the ridgeline. Also make sure you have small water break on your tarp ends, just like the hammock.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    Dutch xenon winter
    Insulation
    Incubator/EE Rev
    Suspension
    Straps/Beetles
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Looks like you have stingers or something connecting the tarp ridge to the Tensa Extenders...and a pretty high ends on tarp.
    Check that rain was not running in the inside of tarp there. And yes, try to tighten that tarp ridgeline to get some of the sway out of it. Could help.
    And do seam seal that ridgeline. I know I always do.
    Carry forth.
    Shug
    Thanks! The tarp is not as (please forgive the comparison) circus-tent as the picture makes it appear, but yes there are a couple vertical inches from peak to center. Attached it to the extender just using the D-ring on the tarp itself, no other hardware. Need to play with it all more to get the bugs worked out.

I'm sure there's a good explanation on HF for how to ACTUALLY attach a tarp to the extenders but TBH I saw my window to set up the stuff and went for it without due diligence. I'm a real rebel

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    Dutch xenon winter
    Insulation
    Incubator/EE Rev
    Suspension
    Straps/Beetles
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    Yes, seal the ridgeline. I just got done doing mine yesterday. On my last trip I noticed the same problem after a night of solid rain. Hammock was getting wet under a perfectly pitched tarp. I think wicking action pulls water through the small thread holes when they get saturated, and it then glides down the curve of the ridgeline. Also make sure you have small water break on your tarp ends, just like the hammock.
    I took a better look after removing the hammock. Definitely some leakage through one portion of the seam, so I'll be sealing it all from this point forward. Never considered a water break on the tarp ends. Normally when using a RL to hang the tarp the attachment points would suffice as I recall. Will have to take a better look next time I set it up that way!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    9' Noah
    Insulation
    Primaloft Gold
    Suspension
    Webbing N Cinchbuc
    Images
    Did you have the tarp extender through the orange loop at the top? It looks like you did not and your explanation of “nothing holding them” until the tarp is installed is not right. They should be floppy, but held in a vertical position with just the string thing attached.
    The essential part of me can not be discussed here. Ask me in person.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    If you can, tighten your tarp in all directions.
    Try to get a straight tarp ridgeline, and set up an all round neater less wrinkled tarp.
    This will reduce chances of pooling water.
    And some tarps will have a trough effect in ridgeline all along seam even when ridgeline is just tight enough to be straight (do not overtighten tarp ridgeline-seam this can produce damage leading to leaks)

Seal your ridgeline

And in addition to a non saggy ridgeline, if possible make one end of your tarp higher and other end lower. If there is a trough, then water will be less likely to pool and will run off low end of tarp ridgeline

I used to set up tarp loose and sagging in all directions. After experiencing pooling of water in ridgeline trough, I set up a little neater now.
    Still not as neat as others, I’m doing asbestos I can

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HGUQ 10 | WBDB 20
    Suspension
    Marlin Sp. Whpies
    Ambient conditions cool and foggy?

Almost everything is going to get soaked in those conditions... by far the most challenging in all the great outdoors.
    I just spent a night out in dense fog and very cool temps, can confirm this was quite the suprise to wake up to. Interior of hammock and bugnet stayed fairly dry, but everything outside was always soaked, it was crazy! As if light rain had been falling upsidedown all night... Fortunate to have only spent a single night, all my gear was pretty wet after that.

If I were you I would tighten everything down by a lot, take out the slack in your tarp and make it taught. Also, since it's been a problem once, I don't see the reason to not seam seal the center line. It could only help

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast