WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. Buckles
    Images

HANGCON '20 FL > Doe Lake, Ocala National Forest, Florida>Jan. 17-20, 2020> HANGCON '20

HangCon '20

(This thing is 10 years old! woohoo!!)

January 17-20, 2020

HangCon '20 will be returning to its home at big, beautiful Doe Lake in the Ocala National Forest!

If you're coming, please take a minute to sign up here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t#gid=81249707

Here's what you need to know about HangCon:
    HangCon attracts all sorts of folks into the woods, and all are welcome: hardcore (and decidedly not hardcore) backwoods backpackers and car campers. Doe Lake enables folks to stay in close if they wish or to push off into a more secluded spot along the trails. For the more civilizationally concerned, Doe Lake also has flush toilets and hot showers on site!! Please remember to bring a towel if you intend to avail yourself of the showers. No, you can't just use all the paper towels!

Martin Luther King, Jr weekend will still be the occasion, and it’s a frosty weekend we’ll be hoping for. By “weekend” of course we mean Friday through Monday. That’s January 17-20, 2020. The official first day is Friday the 17th, but anyone wanting to come early may come on Thursday the 16th. If you want to start earlier than that, please stay at a nearby site and come to Doe Lake on Thursday. Anyone who would like to stay until Tuesday the 16th (and help us clean up) is also welcome!

Anyone who would like to lead or assist an activity, large or small, or any facet of HangCon, please chime in on this thread and add it to the activities spread sheet. And of course, sign up on the spreadsheet if you would like to participate so everyone can be prepared.

There will be a raffle. There's always a raffle! It will be big. It's always big! It will be Saturday night. It's always.... It will be cool. I have no idea what that means exactly but I always believe it and I've yet to be disappointed.

There will be food. Oh yeah… there will be food!! We will have calories, both beautiful and bounteous, for you to burn to keep warm.

Speaking of warm, there will be fire. It will also be big. It will be hot. It will be inside and outside. And it will be going the entire weekend. Small fires at your site are permitted, but not encouraged - we want to promote the community that happens by the big fire ring. If you want your own personal fire, you have to bring your own personal firewood.

Very important: DO NOT BRING FIREWOOD FROM OUT OF STATE!!

Here’s a sampling of some of the things that there will be to do:
    · Hiking trips every day.
    · Kayaking trips every day.
    · Dutch Oven cooking classes every day.
    · Dishwashing classes and competitions every day.
    · Knife sharpening classes.
    · Knot tying classes.
    · Kids’ nature activities.*
    · A Gearage Swap.*
    · Vendors eager to show you the good stuff.
    · We will have a worship service Sunday morning after breakfast.
    · We will have our traditional marriage vow renewals on Saturday afternoon.
    · Every imaginable type of hammock rig for you to check out.
    · Eating. Oh yeah…there will be lots of eatin’.
    · And plenty of just laid back hangin’ around.

*We're looking for someone to lead this activity.

Those who sign up on the attendee spreadsheet will get an ubercool patch and a name tag.

There'll be a gear donation table set up throughout the event. Details on how this works will follow.

Cost: As always, there is no cost requirement for anyone to participate in HangCon. You don’t have to pay to come be part of the community, and have a good time with everyone. So please don’t let cost keep you home. Some specific events may have fees to participate.
    That said, a mass hanging of this magnitude is not free. It is our hope to continue to keep attendance costs at zero for all participants and vendors. But based on past experience, we expect expenses to run over $6k. Donations are accepted, encouraged even (really encouraged in fact! And greatly appreciated!!) - recommendation: $5 a day per person. Raffle ticket sales and contributions to the gear donation table also help cover the expenses.
    All funds go to the hang. There is no paid staff and any unused funds are used to support Doe Lake or are donated to the Fl. Trail Assn., Friends of Fl State Parks, and/or other similar outdoorsy, do-gooder organizations.

Funds: Gumbo & I will be the primary handlers of the funds. If you would like to make an advance donation - which would be very helpful and very appreciated, please PayPal (as a gift) to [email protected]. Please include your HF name in the notes.

Raffle Tickets: will go on sale at HangCon on Saturday the 18th. As always, cost will be $5 for one ticket or 5 tickets for $20.
    Raffle tickets are also available in advance. To encourage folks to buy tickets in advance, $20 will get you our profound gratitude, lotsa good karma, and 6 tickets (instead of 5) if you buy them before midnight 12/31/2019. The funds have to be in Gumbo's PayPal account before 1/1/20. To get advance tickets, PayPal a gift of the appropriate amount to [email protected]. Raffle tickets purchased in advance will be distributed Saturday afternoon. Please include your HF name as a note with your PayPal submission. We probably don't know your real name or your email address.
    Important: the PayPal note must clearly state how much you're allocating to raffle tickets and how much as a donation.

Meals: There will be group dinners Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. Community breakfasts will be served Friday - Monday. Be prepared for your other meals and snacks as needed.

Rules: I don't like rules either, but here's what's what to keep things flowing for ya’ll:

In keeping with the Hammock Forums community and our usual vibes, this is a family friendly event. And it's going to stay that way. Please govern yourself in a family friendly way.

This is a hammocking event. We allow tents as a courtesy (and because we’re gonna try to convert them). Pop-up campers, travel trailers, RVs, motorhomes, etc. just aren't part of the picture. If they would like to participate, they are invited to stay at nearby, RV friendly sites – and come in for activities each day.
    Tents will set up on the north side of the access road (on your left as you drive in, the side away from the lake, next to the tree line). Exception: if you need a tent for an infant or an older family member and you are primarily hammock campers then a single tent may be pitched with your setup.

Check in on the porch immediately upon arrival and before setting up. You may park behind the lodge while signing in and choosing a site.
    Speaking of parking:
    ​Parking in parking area only. If you wish to hang near your vehicle, pick a hang spot near the parking area.
    Two exceptions: 1) those with a Handicap Parking Tag may park between the road and the fence (just before the lodge) close to the bathrooms. If you do that, you should also hang near your vehicle). 2) Parking behind the Lodge is for folks checking in (and then only for a few minutes) and for vendors while vendoring because they need to go back and forth to their vehicle to do their vendoring thing.
    You may drive to your site, dump your gear, pets and small children, even set up your set up. But when you’re done, park in the parking area.

Showers and bathrooms: Please clean as you go (hee hee hee) and take a turn sweeping/mopping. And don't forget your towel!!! We run out of paper towels every year because people who neglected to bring one from home use 20 or 30 paper towels to dry themselves after they shower. ...don't be that guy

Children and dogs: both are welcome. Dogs must be leashed or penned. Please use your discretion regarding your kids.

No generators and no hook ups. Doe Lake has plenty of fresh water.

Rule number one is HAVE FUN so…

LET’S GET THIS THING STARTED!! Get those bins out and start staging your gear! How will you know what you want for Christmas if you haven't spread all your gear out in the living room!?

HangCon Sign Up:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t#gid=81249707
    HangCon Sign Up:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

So many trees, so little time...

Hammock
    Sheltowee Boone DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB Minifly
    Insulation
    30*HG UQ/ 40*UGTQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Yes. Finally. I’m in from Thursday to Monday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Formerly known as Bomber21

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. Buckles
    Images

One more thing...

I was procrastinating starting this thread because I couldn't find a good way to say it or where to put it in the opening post, so I'm putting here...

Gumbo and I will not be hosting HangCon after this year. This is the tenth year for this event. (It was the Florida Hang for 5 years, and this is the 5th year as HangCon.) Life circumstances are precluding us from continuing in this role. And it's time for someone else to put their own spin on things.

This was never intended to be a Gumbo and Timberrr event. It's a hammocking community event that's possible only because of the contributions of HangCon Heroes who give so much of themselves for the community. We tend to get the attention for it because we are up front, but they are the ones whose contributions make the HangCon world go 'round. More on them later...

We will, of course, work closely with anyone who would like to step into this role to carry on the HangCon tradition.

We fully realize that this may mean that this is the last HangCon. If that's what's so then we are grateful for the great run! And in that light, we want to reach out to everyone who joined us in past years and invite you to join us again "one last time."
    HangCon Sign Up:

So many trees, so little time...

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Insulation
    UGQ down goodness
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Images
    Looking forward to seeing old friends and making new ones. See you all in January.
    HangCon - Attendance Roster/Activities Sign-Up/Meal Planning Spreadsheets

FHV Drone Footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPwv...ature=youtu.be

Hammock
    Sheltowee Boone DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB Minifly
    Insulation
    30*HG UQ/ 40*UGTQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I’d definitely like to see this tradition stay alive. With the right people is possible. Will look into it. Thank you Timberrr and Gumbo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Formerly known as Bomber21

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch 12' Winter
    Insulation
    CRO, J'R'B
    Suspension
    Dutch web/ beetle
    Thank you Timerrr & Gumbo for all y'all have done for Hangcon.

I'm planning on Thursday to Sunday.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Thank you for starting the HangCon 2020 Planning thread. Again we are blessed to have a wonderful couple taking the lead in a wonderful hang. The Best Hang. The Largest Hang.

You can count on me to fill any left over rolls in helping out the masses. But not the Lead Roll. No way, man. I know my limits.

First- Vendor Appreciation Day. This is on Thursday for all the Vendors attending if you can make it out on Thursday. Also open to any Vendor attending just as an hanger. We love all of you for all the friendship you've given us and the hammocking community. If I accidentally miss you and don't send you an invitation, Please reach out to me. I want to include you. We will take a trip to Silver Springs for a kayak adventure to see most of the creatures Florida has to offer including the wild Rhesus Monkeys residing here.

Second- Friday we will take a hike to continue our trip along the Florida Trail. Last time we left off at Farles Prairie. We will take the next leg from Farles Prairie South to SR 19 at 4.5+ miles. If yall want to continue, we can cross SR 19 and continue to Alexander Springs at 3.5 miles for a total of 8 miles.

I'm so glad to be back at Doe Lake. Can't wait to get there. And send some snow.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Following for future reference

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Smckinney0031 View Post
    Following for future reference
    If you're on the fence whether you want to come on down or not, let me try to sway you off the fence.
    Here are some vids for you from HangCon 2018 from Doe Lake. This year was at a different location so I didn't include that info.

This is from the Trip Report for HangCon 2018. Every time I rewatch these vids, it makes me love it even more-

Here are some videos of HangCon 2018:

Trip Smith from SailingandSuch (go check out more of his vids on Kayaking and hammock camping. You won't be disappointed)

From juanchoman

TheWeekendHiker

Everyone knows Spiguyver Backpacking (Just the preview)

From Mia (Sorry, don't know your trailname)

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    And Spiguyver's full video: