IÂ’m trying to lighten up on my backpacking base weight. I usually avoid peak season backpacking, and prefer mid-late spring or late summer-mid fall trips. So lows around 25-50 degrees F in the PNW.

HereÂ’s my current situation:

1. Hammock: 10Â’ diy weighs gathered end is about 16oz. I have a kammock that I can deal with thatÂ’s about 8Â’ and 7oz. IÂ’m short, itÂ’s short, so I can make do if need be

2. Bug net: 7oz outdoor vitals with a UQ protector built in. IÂ’d like to DIY a zip-on bug net, but am not feeling too confident on my DIY skills to make that work. Mostly, IÂ’m worried about my ridge line getting too tight and ripping the net apart. Thoughts?

3. TQ: over-stuffed Costco quilt. 18 oz total; 12 oz 700 fill with a 6oz shell

4: UQ: diy Costco overstuff. ItÂ’s 24oz with all the suspension. IÂ’d rate it down to roughly 30 degrees F.

5: Suspension: I think IÂ’ve locked this down. 12Â’ dutchware spider with a few 6Â’ 7/64 amsteel dogbones (the trees in the PNW are huge). I use the becket hitch on CLs.

6: tarp: diy hex 12oz. Or diy asym 8oz. Or diy winter tarp 16 oz All made with 1.1 silpoly.

Anyone have experience with asym tarps in thunderstorms? They say you pack your fears, and I definitely fear getting soaked in the middle of the night in the back country. Any help with reducing weight or packability would be greatly appreciated!!

HYOH- Forces