Hammock
    DW Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DW Asym DCF
    Insulation
    UGQ/Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Becket
    Here's my lighterpack if you want to see that weight broken down better.

Images
    The lightest hammock i found was Dutchs netless in hexon 1.0. I find the fabric soft feeling and very comfortable. Weighs 7oz with ridgeline, cont. loops and dual Knotty mods..

My suspension is two 15' straps, Dutchs spider something 1.5 or another with warbonnets new fancy hooks sewn on the ends, becket hitched to hammock. Weighs 1.7oz

For summer dutchs side zip hammock is 12oz, cant find any lighter with a net.

Tarp is one place I won't sacrifice. I have the HG palace tarp.its huge and i love it. Whole thing tarp, cuben skin, lines all weigh 14oz.

Quilts i got 900-950 fill. Makes a huge difference in pack volume too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Pine Barrens Leather

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Ca-Ching!

For youth of today who pay for things with their smart phones - that's the sound of something called a cash register. It was a box that the money you paid for something in a store. When the register opened, it made this Ca-Ching sound. A store was a building you went to where you could actually see and hold the actual item you were purchasing.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DW Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DW Asym DCF
    Insulation
    UGQ/Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Ca-Ching!

For youth of today who pay for things with their smart phones - that's the sound of something called a cash register. It was a box that the money you paid for something in a store. When the register opened, it made this Ca-Ching sound. A store was a building you went to where you could actually see and hold the actual item you were purchasing.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by forces View Post
    Thanks for all the responses guys - glad to hear I'm not missing anything major. The vast majority of my set up has come from tips and tricks on this very website - and members who post videos to youtube. I think I may look into the head net for bug protection... bugs already aren't too large of a concern outside of the june-august months.
    Keep in mind that sleep and shelter items are just part of the base weight, which for backpacking is everything you carry minus worn items and consumables... water, food and fuel. FSO (from skin out) is everything you are carrying and wearing on the trail, and TPW (total pack weight) is base weight plus consumables. Clothing items that are not normally worn while hiking are part of base weight. Trekking poles, if you're using them, are not, and the same goes for Microspikes and snowshoes if those are part of your kit.

In the context of a discussion like this it is helpful to have a common definition so that we're comparing apples-to-apples and not apples-to-Buicks, and the above is commonly accepted by the tiny fraternity of fringe UL nut-jobs such as myself as the standard.

So it also comes down to what else is in your pack, and even the pack itself.... if, for instance, you were to carry all your stuff into a 7.5lb McHale alpine pack, you'd be starting off at a huge disadvantage. Or a white gas stove with a few pots and pans, etc etc, and axes, saws, chairs... and on and on. I once saw a couple of guys with some Bowie knives that must've weighed 4 lbs each.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dream hammock darien
    Tarp
    Hg Winter palace
    Insulation
    HG burrow, WB yeti
    Suspension
    Spider web 1.5
    Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    The lightest hammock i found was Dutchs netless in hexon 1.0. I find the fabric soft feeling and very comfortable. Weighs 7oz with ridgeline, cont. loops and dual Knotty mods..

My suspension is two 15' straps, Dutchs spider something 1.5 or another with warbonnets new fancy hooks sewn on the ends, becket hitched to hammock. Weighs 1.7oz

For summer dutchs side zip hammock is 12oz, cant find any lighter with a net.

Tarp is one place I won't sacrifice. I have the HG palace tarp.its huge and i love it. Whole thing tarp, cuben skin, lines all weigh 14oz.

Quilts i got 900-950 fill. Makes a huge difference in pack volume too.
    Can you comment on how you use the warbonnet hooks? I thought you could just go straight from the spiders to the CL with the becket hitch.
    thanks

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    FWIW,I am using the Dutch Side Zip in Hexon 1.0 year round because the net helps hold in some heat.
    I have noticed that when the net is opened to get out there is a noticeable difference in air temps.If you want to roll the net out of the way it is configured for that too.It's a system that is hard to beat and it is light weight.The only con is that its a bit stretchy but I have gotten used to it.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD .9oz Asym Tarp
    Insulation
    LL Operator Series
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Tents View Post
    There is a learning curve with an asym tarp. They work and save weight but you'll get those who hate them and will offer other options and generally discourage owning one. Often I'll not even put up a tarp. On a trip where it's only a chance of rain or storms I carry an asym and not need to deploy it. That said I have weathered some serious storms under one. By under one I mean I'm in my hammock in storm mode.
    Exactly. Just pitch it really low over your ridgeline. Maybe you carry an underquilt protector with you anyway. The amount of sag of the hammock plays a role as well concerning the coverage you need. A little extra material + tie-outs at the foot and head end of the asym tarp may help. The only time I got wet using an asym tarp was while in a 12' hammock using an 11' asym tarp.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD .9oz Asym Tarp
    Insulation
    LL Operator Series
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by chef4 View Post
    Can you comment on how you use the warbonnet hooks? I thought you could just go straight from the spiders to the CL with the becket hitch.
    thanks
    Yes please!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chef4 View Post
    thanks
    I'm guessing he means the Fish Hook is used at the tree end of the strap, in place of a carabiner or passing the webbing through its own loop - much the same way a Dutch Clip is used.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12