Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Cabmanhang: Bonus points to you for that eye opening and to the point post. You sir, don't mince words and you have a knack for telling it like it is. My vote for one of the top ten posts ever here on HF!

Hammock
    TBD
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Serape poncho
    Suspension
    daisy chain sling
    It would be cumbersome for backcountry hanging and probably unnecessary anyways, but i've seen special tree protection padding made for putting underneath anchor slings for slack line rigging, I've also sewn towel tubes. I think tree cambium is probably more vulnerable with certain species, and during the spring and fall
    Last edited by el_chongo; 09-25-2019 at 12:45.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbnnet
    Insulation
    Whatever works
    Update: The manager has pushed through with a outright ban on hammocks in the Alley Spring Campground. The Superintendent finally sent a smarmy reply which I promptly threw away,that was a mistake.
    At Roosevelt National Park the Super sent a very nice letter that they had lifted the ban as there was no evidence that hammocks killed trees or that wildlife such as Elk or Bison would get tangled up in a hammock.
    I thanked her for the response and asked her to consider my proposal to create what I call a "Hammock Henge" which are 5-6 frames made from 4x4's or galvanized pipe arranged in a circle with 1-2 picnic tables and a fire ring in the center. They would have to be a standard width that the hanger would have to adjust their hammock and tarp to fit the frame. You could face in or out, Such a configuration would probably take up no more room than the accommodations for a Land Yacht and potentially bring in more money per unit.
    Any thoughts pro or con are welcome.

Hammock
    hh safari deluxe
    Tarp
    stock hex
    Suspension
    diy whoopies
    as one who only peruses these pages from time to time i see i'm late to this table

while reading posts on other forums i find that an amazing number of folks who claim to be outdoors men n women shrug off the need for straps opting for para cord which IMHO based on my readings here is one of the main culprits being mentioned above

we've had similar issues w/ hammocks here in Texas at our State Parks

invitations to Park Management to our(a group of M/C campers) camps has resoved the issue on a few individual occasions

it is up to all of us to do what we can to educate the general population and Park officials

sw
    "we are the people our parents warned us about" jb

steve

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    Always a few bad eggs in the batch ruin it for everyone. I’ve been hanging on the same tree with my cheapo recreations strap hammock for 9 years now - probably hundreds of times, same trees, zero damage.

Keep an extra set of cheap lighter loop straps in the car and just educate and give them to someone you encounter who is using rope. I’ve done this a few times now, they were very happy to know that it protects the tree.

I am not sure what company, but at some point someone was selling an eno looking like hammock with smallish rope for attachment. The few that I have come across all seemed to be the same type of hammock.

People just don’t know.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12